Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Sonus Faber
Dear all,

Do you think that a Devialet 200 is suitable to drive some Sonus Faber Olympica 3 (possible Amati Futura ...) or do you think I should aim at a Devialet 250 or 400 ?

Those speakers are usually rated at 4 Ohms; however they dip below 3 Ohms in part of the spectrum.

Many thanks !
Hello,
I have posted the power output, measured by a german magazine in the tweakers corner thread (how many volt can Devialet drive).
- the 170 model was able to deliver 8,6 Ampere at 3 Ohm, which would result in 220Watt at 3 Ohm (before the software power upgrade, now 30W more)
- the 400 model is able for 13,6A, means 550Watt power output.
The figures will show that Devialet is able to easily drive 3 Ohm speakers, there is nothing said about the heat of the power supply if it is constantly at its maximum level.
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
I heard the Olympica III on a Devialet 170 (still a 170 at that time) and it had no problems what so ever driving the speakers. I really had them going for a time, I was at my dealer to hear turntables and was really into the music at the time. dB's went up and up and up. Big Grin

[Image: 03862d5f-7ce7-47a0-9cdf-7d0bf9727d79.jpg]
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Same here: 170 seemed easily capable of driving the speakers.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(12-Dec-2014, 01:36)NewMatos Wrote: Dear all,

Do you think that a Devialet 200 is suitable to drive some Sonus Faber Olympica 3 (possible Amati Futura ...) or do you think I should aim at a Devialet 250 or 400 ?

Those speakers are usually rated at 4 Ohms; however they dip below 3 Ohms in part of the spectrum.

Many thanks !

Few members here have Devialet driving Martin Logan speakers which is well known of notoriously low impedance at 20 KHz. The Montis can drop to 0.56 Ohm at 20 KHz and still Devialet manages to deliver. As per Matt (a dear member here on the forum) Devialet is not as good as an amp designed to drive high voltage specifically designed for ESL speakers but then again the SF Olympica 3 is not an electrostatic speaker but rather an electrodynamic speaker that occasionally drops to 3 ohms. my experience tells me that it will be driven with ease.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I use the Devialet 200 to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto (floorstanders) with no problems. They sound beautiful. The speakers are rated as 8 ohm nominal. I have heard the D200 drive the B&W 802D (8 ohm nominal but dips to 3.5 ohm) with no difficulties.
Devialet 200, Krell s-350 CD, Sonus Faber Liuto floorstanding speakers, Van den Hul The First Ultimate II coax interconnect, Chord Epic II speaker cable
(12-Dec-2014, 01:36)NewMatos Wrote: Dear all,

Many thanks !

Hi,

At one occasion I demoed both Amati Futuras as Guarneri Evolution with the D200. The standmount G Evos need more power than the 200 could deliver BUT the Amati worked very good with the 200, not only from powering satisfying but fantastic well sounding. I am sure that this goes for the floor standing Olympica 3 as well.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK