Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet as a pre-amp
(08-Sep-2014, 17:09)nwhitta Wrote: I must admit I am smitten with the Devialet and also the Montis. However I am very wary of finding them incompatible and making a big mistake. Also I will not be able to buy both at the same time; the amp must come first.

One more question:
Is it possible to bi-amp with the D-200 by running the inboard amp into one set of speaker terminals whilst simultaneously feeding an external power amp from the line out sockets?

You could do that but not with the Montis as they only have one set of terminals (i.e. no separate LF and HF). Your best bet would be to buy a 200 Companion and go dual mono, which would give you 400W per channel.

The other thing you have to remember about the Montis is that each sub contains a 200W amp taking care of everything below 340Hz. This means that, even though the impedance of the Montis panel does crazy things, your outboard amp is being asked to supply quite a bit less grunt, so it will have more headroom to power the panel.

If you're really worried about a lack of power from the Devialet, then I suggest you avoid it altogether and get a thumping great power amp (e.g. Sanders Magtech)* and a nice pre. Much as I love my Devialet (best amp I've heard by some distance), I would have to say that my love of the Montis is greater, so I'd be more concerned to make them happy, even if that meant a divorce from Devialet. (I hope no-one else is reading, because I may be burned at the stake for heresy for that remark.)

I also think you might be better off getting the speakers first. I really do think a system should be built around speakers -- again maybe heresy in these parts.

* my understanding is that Roger Sanders does worldwide 30-day money back trials, if you pay for carriage.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(08-Sep-2014, 17:09)nwhitta Wrote: I must admit I am smitten with the Devialet and also the Montis. However I am very wary of finding them incompatible and making a big mistake.

Well Jwg1749 has both and finds them a fantastic pair, so I doubt very much that they are incompatible. Should you want more power further down the line just get a second unit and go dual-mono (I know, I know... it doesn't grow on trees Tongue)

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The seller of electrostatics in my earlier post is Mr Roger Sanders. He has cast doubt on the capability of the Devialet to drive his panels.
After hearing the Montis, I did some research on electrostatics and found Sanders Sound Systems website. His designs are similar to Martin Logan in that they are a hybrid of panel and woofer, although the execution is different. His speakers require bi-amping and come supplied with one external power amp and an external crossover. The thinking is that most buyers will already own a power amp, although he can supply another, at extra cost, if necessary. Hence my questions regarding using external amplification with the Devialet.
I am currently ampless and my TV is driving my existing speakers. There is room for improvement.
Like Kunter, I used a D-Premier and a dual mono D-Premier with Quad 989s and Quad 2905s. There is loads of power. Indeed you can drive the 989s so hard that they will shut down. I never did the same with 2905s as they are more resilient and will go amazingly loud. Another guy I know rates his D-Premier as the best amp he has ever used with Quads.

I'd be pretty sure you can use the speaker outs in the way you describe with the pre-out feeding another power amplifier. I do just that and can adjust the sensitivity and link in the Devialet volume control so that everything works from that (assuming the sensitivity scales of the two amps are equivalently linear). And given that Jwg1749 drives the Montis with a 200 unit, you have as good an answer as you can get other than trying things yourself!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Thanks for all your responses.
I will take some time to think before I reach a conclusion. Next time I'm in UK, I could lug my old Musical Fidelity A300 back with me, but it may not appreciate the baggage handling. It doesn't have a remote as pretty the Devialet's.
Hi,

To add to the info, please remember when talking about power output, that the D400 outputs 400 W in 6 ohms, at 4 ohms it is 590 W. So you can imagine what the D400 and specially D800 will do with with very low impedance loads.

Best/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Ok all, the curiosity was killing me. I configured my D-200 for preamp use only. It replaced a PS Audio Directstream DAC and Luxman CL-88 Preamp. In other words, serious contenders. The amp is my divine Yamamoto A-08 (45 tube-based, 2wpc). The result? Spectacular! I now have all the convenience of my Devialet as the control unit, with the glory of the 45 tubes. And eliminated a bunch of damn cables! Still evaluating, but I can say that while it may've lost a smudge in resolving power, the system now sounds much more organic. Really digging this. Oh, and if by some chance a tube goes or if I really to to rock the house, it takes 1 minute to switch the speaker leads directly to the Devialet!

Andrew
(07-Oct-2017, 15:55)andrew3000 Wrote: Ok all, the curiosity was killing me. I configured my D-200 for preamp use only. It replaced a PS Audio Directstream DAC and Luxman CL-88 Preamp. In other words, serious contenders. The amp is my divine Yamamoto A-08 (45 tube-based, 2wpc). The result? Spectacular! I now have all the convenience of my Devialet as the control unit, with the glory of the 45 tubes. And eliminated a bunch of damn cables! Still evaluating, but I can say that while it may've lost a smudge in resolving power, the system now sounds much more organic. Really digging this. Oh, and if by some chance a tube goes or if I really to to rock the house, it takes 1 minute to switch the speaker leads directly to the Devialet!

Andrew

Hi andrew,
Are you still enjoying your configuration ?
I was thinking giving a try to the same config with primaluna mono amps.
Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a follow up on my journey.
Just to confirm that dev200 used as pre/dac is just jaw dropping good! Dead quiet with an amzing clean sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam
What amplifier are you using and is the combo of Dev as a Preamp with your external amp better than the Dev 200