Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet connection?
I'm new to this forum and have a question. I just got a Devialet 200 and it's on the top floor of my house and the router is in the basement. So I can't connect the Devialet via direct Ethernet. Which would be the next best option? I would really like to use my laptop as a server but the CD player connected via digital coaxial does sound good too. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome...

Best option will be, in the order from best sound quality to worse...

1. Direct ethernet from laptop to devialet with fixed ip (you dont need a router there). This is how I use my windows laptop for best sound but less convenient since the laptop needs to be close to Devialet with a good ethernet cable, AQ Vodka in my case)
2. Add a dedicated wireless router to your top floor. If you have any wireless coverage in the top floor from your original router, use the second one to extend its coverage. This way you can place the second router close to your system with a short and high quality ethernet cable. And connect your laptop wirelessly to the second router. (This is how i use my system alternatively for best convenience and good sound)
3. Use the second router to connect Devialet and laptop wirelessly. This will eventually cause dropouts if you are not careful with placement...

Happy listenning...

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Per @Kunters post, I agree direct connection to an adjacent laptop has to be the optimum solution. (and is exactly what Devialet do at there various demonstrations)

As one alternative, you actually could connect direct to your router via ethernet cable. It would be a long cable run, but technically it should work fine. I recall happy days as a child helping my father run coax TV arial cables from the loft to various rooms in the house. How hard would it be to get an ethernet cable down to your basement? I have no idea, but I am sure it would ultimately be possible?
(28-Jul-2014, 08:37)Kunter Wrote: Welcome...

1. Direct ethernet from laptop to devialet with fixed ip (you dont need a router there). This is how I use my windows laptop for best sound but less convenient since the laptop needs to be close to Devialet with a good ethernet cable, AQ Vodka in my case)
2. Add a dedicated wireless router to your top floor. If you have any wireless coverage in the top floor from your original router, use the second one to extend its coverage. This way you can place the second router close to your system with a short and high quality ethernet cable. And connect your laptop wirelessly to the second router. (This is how i use my system alternatively for best convenience and good sound)
3. Use the second router to connect Devialet and laptop wirelessly. This will eventually cause dropouts if you are not careful with placement...

Happy listenning...

Kunter

I want the best sound quality possible. In option 1, how do you have everything hooked up? I'm using a Western Digital Mybook that is connected to my laptop. Do I just connect an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the Devialet? How do you have this set up on the configuration?
(28-Jul-2014, 05:26)Darrenmc Wrote: I'm new to this forum and have a question. I just got a Devialet 200 and it's on the top floor of my house and the router is in the basement. So I can't connect the Devialet via direct Ethernet. Which would be the next best option? I would really like to use my laptop as a server but the CD player connected via digital coaxial does sound good too. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried USB? Connect the laptop to the Devialet using USB; you can still interact with the laptop over the network.

When I tried out the options I preferred USB to the network connection. I found it easier to set up (less mucking about with buffering) and ultimately more reliable.

BTW; the latest firmware (v 7.1.1) gives us bi-directional USB, so you can "record" from it too.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
I started using Air when it was first released. There were quite a few teething troubles at first but it works perfectly now. No need for cable (sensible or ludicrous) and no fancy earth or hum loop potential since there is no physical means by which one could exist. Only one master clock, the one in the Devialet. Sorted!
I haven't tried USB or Ethernet.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(28-Jul-2014, 13:15)SteveO... Wrote:
(28-Jul-2014, 05:26)Darrenmc Wrote: I'm new to this forum and have a question. I just got a Devialet 200 and it's on the top floor of my house and the router is in the basement. So I can't connect the Devialet via direct Ethernet. Which would be the next best option? I would really like to use my laptop as a server but the CD player connected via digital coaxial does sound good too. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried USB? Connect the laptop to the Devialet using USB; you can still interact with the laptop over the network.

When I tried out the options I preferred USB to the network connection. I found it easier to set up (less mucking about with buffering) and ultimately more reliable.

BTW; the latest firmware (v 7.1.1) gives us bi-directional USB, so you can "record" from it too.
I have tried USB and it sounds good. I was curious to hear it via Ethernet but unfortunately my Devialet is far from my router so I can't connect directly.
You could try something like this:
http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-650+

Plug in one near your router/switch and connect the Ethernet cable and one near your Devialet and connect the Ethernet cable. Don't be fooled by the suggested speed, but it should be fast enough to transport audio.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(28-Jul-2014, 13:06)Darrenmc Wrote:

Happy listenning...

Kunter

I want the best sound quality possible. In option 1, how do you have everything hooked up? I'm using a Western Digital Mybook that is connected to my laptop. Do I just connect an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the Devialet? How do you have this set up on the configuration?

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Ethernet-...319#pid319
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(29-Jul-2014, 13:44)Kunter Wrote:
(28-Jul-2014, 13:06)Darrenmc Wrote:

Happy listenning...

Kunter

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Ethernet-...319#pid319
I read through that thread, unfortunately I am new to this so I'm not sure what to do? Can you or somebody tell me what i need to configure. I'm using a Dell laptop with Windows Vista, the Devialet, and i have a D-Link router. Any help would be appreciated.