Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet get "dull"!?
(28-Apr-2015, 10:37)Kunter Wrote: There may be an issue with magnetization. Try to run the demag files from XLO CD or the likes to see if you have any improvements.

Magnetisation? Do you mean in the speakers? I can't think of anything inside the D that can be magnetised. And how does a cd change that?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(28-Apr-2015, 12:16)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(28-Apr-2015, 10:37)Kunter Wrote: There may be an issue with magnetization. Try to run the demag files from XLO CD or the likes to see if you have any improvements.

Magnetisation? Do you mean in the speakers? I can't think of anything inside the D that can be magnetised. And how does a cd change that?

Smile
You are right about Devialet having nothing to magnetise, but it might be the power cabling, Speaker cabling, etc...

I know, it sounds like woodoo (especially when you play those files) but it works to some extent. I cannot vouch for the "how" part but it won't hurt to try...

For the extended woodoo, I happen to have an Exorcist (!!) from Gryphon, which is also a strange experiment for the sane minded. Go figure Smile

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(28-Apr-2015, 09:55)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(28-Apr-2015, 07:47)stefanfreij Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 16:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 16:19)stefanfreij Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 16:08)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Mine was a lot duller! It really wasn't right. I tended to find it if I'd left it running for a day or two, perhaps running something in.

I stack my units on top of each other, temperature do not change if stacking or side by side
Running, both is around 39-42 celsius when stacked
I'm going to Munich, so i will ask

Hi stefanfreij,

Have your upgraded 250s always behaved like this or is this something you have only noticed recently?

BTW please post on the Munich thread, I think there are quite a few of us going now.  Smile

Guillaume
Yes, i think they always been like this

I will do!

Well as a fellow D800 and Sasha 2 owner I can tell you that this isn't normal. If anything it should improve with continuous usage. I regularly run my system for extended periods when running in new speakers or cables. To my ears there is definitely an improvement after 24 hours or so of continuous usage.

I think you should definitely raise a ticket on the Devialet site. As discussed above in this thread Rufus also had a similar problem which was seemingly resolved after a mains filter replacement.

Did you have this problem with the D Premier before you upgraded? What about running a single 250 to see if you can replicate this issue?

Guillaume
G, 

For what reason was the mains filter changed for Rufus? It is a Schurter LC filter I believe. What did Devialet comment about it?
It may just be pure imagination but at extended listening sessions I have a feeling that my system relaxes a bit too much but the most I have a feeling that I have to crank the volume to maintain the sound pressure, any one else experienced this? A third thing is that I sense my system gradually need more volume cranking the longer it stays on. Our system is on 24/7 (I do not run any sleep mode) and we use it for all TV, movie and of course music duties.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi - I'll tell you the whole story. I contacted Devialet after finding that the unit seemed to be getting more and more muffled. It seemed worse after it'd been on for an extended time. It was quite severe - pretty much unlistenable it was so bad. A new problem started happening a couple of times too - it just started outputting clicking sounds during music playback - no music, just clicking, and only cured by turning it off and on again. This was with a USB source, nothing to do with the AIR problem.
I opened the unit up and first thing I noticed was the Class D board stuck to the plastic bottom cover of the D200. I didn't try and free it, The blue (Blu-Tack like) heatsink material was sticking it to the cover. There was a fair bit of fluid in the tray where the Class D board sits.  I also noticed some solder connections - a couple on the power input board where the Schurter filter is - looking a bit 'weepy'. I didn't know if this was heat damage, failing joints or what.
The other thing I noticed was it sounded a lot better when I put the Class D board back in again and put it back together. It was like a completely different unit!

OK so back to Devialet. The sticky Class D board is unfortunately very common. The heatsink material gets a bit sticky. It also 'sweats' a bit and damp-looking patches can appear. This is not a problem but they cleaned it up.  
They changed the board with the Schurter filter as well. I don't know why. Whether it was just a matter of precaution or not due to the slightly poor solder joints I don't know.

Anyhow upshot is it sounds a lot more consistent. I haven't experienced any of that muffled soundingness since.
The only snag is I was investigating other things in my system which could've been responsible too! I stopped using a dedicated earth rod which could well have been an issue. Its impedance stayed very constant but didn't have great earth loop impedance readings (about 50 Ohms, which is OK but to provide a benefit it should really be better).   I'd also been grounding my Entreq Cleanus filter on the same grounding box that the Devialet was on. A few people had noticed this led to inconsistency so I removed the ground connection.  I've also noticed recently that the port trunking (2 ethernet cables, balanced load balancing) I'd used on my Qnap (for speed - my wife is a photographer and it improves the upload speed a fair bit) was detrimental to the sound quality. Making it a single connection seemed to remove some inconsistency. Why, I have no idea!

The question still remains in my head why it sounded so much better after opening the unit, replugging the Class D board, and putting it back together. Was it just reseating the board that helped? The explanation could actually be related to earthing - just the simple procedure of unplugging it from the mains and replugging.
And for the clicking sound - no idea... Maybe the Schurter filter board is a known issue and that solved everything? Seems strange though as it's a very common component used in a lot of devices and not really prone to going wrong. I don't think there's much else complicated attached to that board.
(29-Apr-2015, 07:38)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Hi - I'll tell you the whole story. I contacted Devialet after finding that the unit seemed to be getting more and more muffled. It seemed worse after it'd been on for an extended time. It was quite severe - pretty much unlistenable it was so bad. A new problem started happening a couple of times too - it just started outputting clicking sounds during music playback - no music, just clicking, and only cured by turning it off and on again. This was with a USB source, nothing to do with the AIR problem.
I opened the unit up and first thing I noticed was the Class D board stuck to the plastic bottom cover of the D200. I didn't try and free it, The blue (Blu-Tack like) heatsink material was sticking it to the cover. There was a fair bit of fluid in the tray where the Class D board sits.  I also noticed some solder connections - a couple on the power input board where the Schurter filter is - looking a bit 'weepy'. I didn't know if this was heat damage, failing joints or what.
The other thing I noticed was it sounded a lot better when I put the Class D board back in again and put it back together. It was like a completely different unit!

OK so back to Devialet. The sticky Class D board is unfortunately very common. The heatsink material gets a bit sticky. It also 'sweats' a bit and damp-looking patches can appear. This is not a problem but they cleaned it up.  
They changed the board with the Schurter filter as well. I don't know why. Whether it was just a matter of precaution or not due to the slightly poor solder joints I don't know.

Anyhow upshot is it sounds a lot more consistent. I haven't experienced any of that muffled soundingness since.
The only snag is I was investigating other things in my system which could've been responsible too! I stopped using a dedicated earth rod which could well have been an issue. Its impedance stayed very constant but didn't have great earth loop impedance readings (about 50 Ohms, which is OK but to provide a benefit it should really be better).   I'd also been grounding my Entreq Cleanus filter on the same grounding box that the Devialet was on. A few people had noticed this led to inconsistency so I removed the ground connection.  I've also noticed recently that the port trunking (2 ethernet cables, balanced load balancing) I'd used on my Qnap (for speed - my wife is a photographer and it improves the upload speed a fair bit) was detrimental to the sound quality. Making it a single connection seemed to remove some inconsistency. Why, I have no idea!

The question still remains in my head why it sounded so much better after opening the unit, replugging the Class D board, and putting it back together. Was it just reseating the board that helped? The explanation could actually be related to earthing - just the simple procedure of unplugging it from the mains and replugging.
And for the clicking sound - no idea...  Maybe the Schurter filter board is a known issue and that solved everything? Seems strange though as it's a very common component used in a lot of devices and not really prone to going wrong. I don't think there's much else complicated attached to that board.

Many thanks Rufus!

Well if your theory holds it sounds like you had an unwanted statical build up. Did you in some way ground the board (except you holding it in your hand)?
Oxides? Bad mechanical fit before refitting?

Cheers/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Oh yes - I took ESD precautions during opening the unit (wrist strap, mat). Well actually I didn't really touch anything inside anyway, just took a few photos!
The Devialet is normally grounded with an Entreq box too so in theory that should help discharge if anything. Devialet seem to be OK with opening the unit warranty-wise provided proper precautions are taken and no modifications are made.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting the Class D board to be stuck to and come away with the bottom cover when I first opened it so unplugging the board was by accident. This is apparently a pretty common fault and not necssarily anything to worry about, though it doesn't look too good. I didn't dare risk trying to unstick the board though for fear of pulling away part of the PCB. I left that to them.
I have left my D800 running for 48 hours non-stop with the volume playing at -33.

Just turned it up and sat down to listen more critically.

It sounds very very good. Plenty of attack on the piano notes and vocals are fabulous. The Stabilant 22 treatment has definitely worked!  Cool

Checked the temperatures these are all in the 30-35 range, with only the Companion showing 35 on the Class A amp. The other readings are all 30-32.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Apr-2015, 14:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have left my D800 running for 48 hours non-stop with the volume playing at -33.

It sounds very very good. Plenty of attack on the piano notes and vocals are fabulous. The Stabilant 22 treatment has definitely worked!  Cool

Checked the temperatures these are all in the 30-35 range, with only the Companion showing 35 on the Class A amp. The other readings are all 30-32.

Guillaume

Can one check the temperature on the control app and how?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(29-Apr-2015, 20:02)miro Wrote:
(29-Apr-2015, 14:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have left my D800 running for 48 hours non-stop with the volume playing at -33.

Guillaume

Can one check the temperature on the control app and how?

Hold down the right button a little longer and a meny will occur, toggle by pressing it in a normal way and after som 'clicks' the temp monitor will show. Hold down long again to go back to normal.

/Mike

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Did you get the same feeling as I did that it just gets better after 24 hours or does it just sound as good as you would normally find it?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.