Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet phantom 1 disaster.
Hello,

I have some big issues with my phantoms.
I have my stereo phantoms for 2 years. in those 2 years i had 8 replacements. they keep braking down, i have now received 2 new phantoms and they broke again.

the support team has no idea what is happening. when i watch something with heavy bass they make a clunk sound and turn of, so they are unusable. sometimes they break completely and sometimes i can start them up and they work again. i am so tired of replacing them. the support team and i have no idea what the issue is. my outlets are fine so that is not the problem. they reveived a lot off bug reports to see what the problem could be, but they find noting.

what do you guys think of this problem. what are your thoughts?
Sorry to hear your frustrating story.

I suspect it is the power supply (or less likely Ethernet connection). I think there are power monitoring devices that log a history, for example for medical devices. Not sure where to hire one, but such a device may help isolate when something abnormal occurs. It could be a cumulative effect? What is more difficult is to isolate is whether it something in your house or in your area that is the cause.

Another way is to buy a decent power conditioner. Yes, it may affect the sound but if it saves your Phantoms, then you know it is something in your power supply.
@Ebro
Sorry for your troubles! I believe I've read about this problem before here at DC, but I can't find the thread at the moment. It isn't your posts I'm remembering? If not, maybe there will be some clues there
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Aug-2022, 22:28)Snoopy8 Wrote: Sorry to hear your frustrating story. 

I suspect it is the power supply (or less likely Ethernet connection). I think there are power monitoring devices that log a history, for example for medical devices.  Not sure where to hire one, but such a device may help isolate when something abnormal occurs.  It could be a cumulative effect?  What is more difficult is to isolate is whether it something in your house or in your area that is the cause.

Another way is to buy a decent power conditioner.  Yes, it may affect the sound but if it saves your Phantoms, then you know it is something in your power supply.

Hi Snoopy8

Thanks for the fast response.

I had an electrician do a check on my system and there is nothing abnormal with it... also all my other electronics are working perfect. i am also testing a power strip that switches off if there is a power peak that could overload the system.( it did not turn of).
i could try a power conditioner but they are €250+. so that is a pricey test.
What do you mean by affect the sound? that they would play less loud? or less quality?

I there a possibility that is has something to do with the optical/toslink connection?

at this moment i lost hope. i saved up to finally buy this system and i got 2 years of problems...
I can't belive that a €6000 system has so much problems.

thanks for the help!
(07-Aug-2022, 22:41)ragwo Wrote: @Ebro
Sorry for your troubles! I believe I've read about this problem before here at DC, but I can't find the thread at the moment. It isn't your posts I'm remembering? If not, maybe there will be some clues there
Hi ragwo.

I think i found it: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-phantom-...t-power-on
but there is nothing that helps =(

Thanks for the response!
At what volume does this occur? How do you connect your TV to the Phantoms? Have you been able to replicate it with music as the OP in the other thread? I've tried to knock down my house with 5 Phantoms in surround, making my neighbours over twenty meters away wondering why their house was shaking from the thunderstorm they couldn't see. I have never had a shut down problems even at those volumes.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: I had an electrician do a check on my system and there is nothing abnormal with it... also all my other electronics are working perfect. i am also testing a power strip that switches off if there is a power peak that could overload the system.( it did not turn of).
An electrician will check your power circuits at a certain point in time.  What I suspect you have is a spike caused by something internally or externally.  Hence, my suggestion for a power monitoring box.

(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: i could try a power conditioner but they are €250+. so that is a pricey test.
What do you mean by affect the sound? that they would play less loud? or less quality?
Have found some power conditioners affect the dynamics of a system (tested by playing something with a fast beat). However, other people are happy to accept that. 

A power conditioner may filter out the power issue causing your problem???

(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: I there a possibility that is has something to do with the optical/toslink connection?

at this moment i lost hope. i saved up to finally buy this system and i got 2 years of problems...
Unlikely to be optical.

I am surprised you have lasted this long! Maybe ask for money back from Devialet because they know about issue?
---
Have you tried the Phantoms in another house?
Check the source to your Phantoms - that could be the cause.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
(08-Aug-2022, 08:00)ragwo Wrote: At what volume does this occur? How do you connect your TV to the Phantoms? Have you been able to replicate it with music as the OP in the other thread? I've tried to knock down my house with 5 Phantoms in surround, making my neighbours over twenty meters away wondering why their house was shaking from the thunderstorm they couldn't see. I have never had a shut down problems even at those volumes.

when playing above 50-60% the problem starts. i have an optical cable from my phantom to my tv. in 2 years time, they had the problem that they turned off 1 time, with a song on spotify.  That was with phantoms that already had a lot of problems. I regularly play spotify for hours at 80-100% and they have no problems. it is always with heavy bass scene in movies/series.
(08-Aug-2022, 12:05)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: I had an electrician do a check on my system and there is nothing abnormal with it... also all my other electronics are working perfect. i am also testing a power strip that switches off if there is a power peak that could overload the system.( it did not turn of).
An electrician will check your power circuits at a certain point in time.  What I suspect you have is a spike caused by something internally or externally.  Hence, my suggestion for a power monitoring box.

(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: i could try a power conditioner but they are €250+. so that is a pricey test.
Have found some power conditioners affect the dynamics of a system (tested by playing something with a fast beat). However, other people are happy to accept that. 

A power conditioner may filter out the power issue causing your problem???

(08-Aug-2022, 00:30)Ebro Wrote: I there a possibility that is has something to do with the optical/toslink connection?

Unlikely to be optical.

I am surprised you have lasted this long! Maybe ask for money back from Devialet because they know about issue?
---
Have you tried the Phantoms in another house?
I will ask around for a power monitoring box, it sound like a good test.

I have asked for a refund but they are not willing to do that. also they told me that my warranty is running out. so i think the help from the support will stop after this exchange.

i have tried the phantoms in another house 1 time. but that is not a good test. sometimes i can watch 3 or 4 movies with no problems.