Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet phantom gold
I recently bought a phantom gold and it sounds very different from what I heard in the showroom. In the showroom the bass was much more punchier and I could feel it in my chest while at home the bass is less present and the bass is not felt in my chest. It also sounds very flat unlike what I heard in the showroom. How can I solve this problem?
The bass will change depending on how close you are to a wall, the closer the more bass. What source are you using?
(19-Jun-2020, 08:58)Rodrat2 Wrote: The bass will change depending on how close you are to a wall, the closer the more bass. What source are you using?
I am using Spotify but it might be the layout of my room causing the problem.
It’s a 12m*4m room and I’m placing my phantom about 3 m from left wall and 9m from right wall
(19-Jun-2020, 11:50)Jason12345678 Wrote:
(19-Jun-2020, 08:58)Rodrat2 Wrote: The bass will change depending on how close you are to a wall, the closer the more bass. What source are you using?
It’s a 12m*4m room and I’m placing my phantom about 3 m from left wall and 9m from right wall
Where's your listening position? How close to the wall behind the speakers are the speakers located?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(19-Jun-2020, 12:08)ragwo Wrote:
(19-Jun-2020, 11:50)Jason12345678 Wrote:
Where's your listening position? How close to the wall behind the speakers are the speakers located?
The phantom is located just in front of the wall maybe 5 cm from the wall and I am on the other side of the room at the back maybe 4.5m away. There is a little side wall so the phantom basically has even distance from both side walls but the room is open in a rectangular shape . Maybe I need 2 phantoms to pressurise the room properly
(19-Jun-2020, 13:49)Jason12345678 Wrote:
(19-Jun-2020, 12:08)ragwo Wrote:
(19-Jun-2020, 11:50)Jason12345678 Wrote: I am using Spotify but it might be the layout of my room causing the problem.
The phantom is located just in front of the wall maybe 5 cm from the wall and I am on the other side of the room at the back maybe 4.5m away. There is a little side wall so the phantom basically has even distance from both side walls but the room is open in a rectangular shape . Maybe I need 2 phantoms to pressurise the room properly
I believe you're right, a single Phantom will not be able to fill such a large room with bone shaking bass. To get the best sound quality you should use a proper stand and place it as a normal speaker. 5 cm from the wall isn't optimal.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
It may be that you are using Spotify. have you tried it with any lossless music. Flac Alac etc.
I have two Golds and one Silver. I agree that bass got less dominant with the last software update (2.10). I first updated my Golds to 2.10 and wondered why the bass changed. However, I thought it's just my perception. Then I tested my silver on 2.9, updated it on 2.10, tested it with the same music again and I experienced the same there. I had my speakers always placed at the same spot and listened to the same music. It is quite obvious!

I hope there will be an equalizer soon!
If you listen with windows open in your house your bass performance will dramatically decrease as it escapes easily. Also like the others have said. Closer the back of the unit is to the wall the more bass response will travel up the wall, across the roof and over to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Here is something I learned about Spotify, which is why I paid for Tidal

The quality of the music matters, I have a bunch of different IEMs (earphones) which really allow you to hear Tidal vs Spotify

Make sure your Spotify is set to download the highest quality - it did make a difference.

Do your own tidal vs Spotify research but it made a Big difference for me with my Dev Classic and Silver