Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet should upgrade FOC !!
After many deliberations, I decided to go for the Devialet & procured the Le 400 in late April 2016 after purchasing them from a dealer in Frankfurt & then, shipping them to Sierra Leone (West Africa) where I am currently stationed.

Pretty much the next 8 weeks went on to burn-in my ‘new’ B&W 802 D3 speakers along with the Le 400. So, I was just about to settle down upon completion of 1000 hrs burn-in that effectively bought huge gains in SQ from both the B&Ws & the Devialet.

As this is my 1st time with computer audio, I started experimenting WiFi vs. USB vs. Ethernet using AIR 2.1.3 on mac and we suddenly got the AIR 3.0 beta. I am yet to figure out what is extra in the 3.0 over 2.1.3 and ended up with a lot of teething issues …

Several forum members helped me sort out the issues and suddenly we land up with Devialet announcing the PRO models & the upgrades for non-PRO to PRO with exorbitant pricing. Now for a guy like me, its practically impossible for me to cart the Devialet 200 Master + 200 Companion in their original packings all the way to Frankfurt from West Africa and then pay € 6,000 for them to be PRO 440 and “hopefully” be able to stream music faithfully from Audirvana …

And soon, we see Firmware 10.0.2 update that does sound nice BUT creates a new set of fuss for streaming on AIR 3.0 or AIR 2.1.3 so much so that I’ve given up Ethernet & WiFi and just about doing good now with USB (irrespective of its minuses … whatever they’re over Ethernet) as I have no other option … many thanks to the brilliant engineers at Devialet !!

So – the essence of writing this post is not to complain but to understand from fellow members that “is it incorrect to ask Devialet that they should carryout a Free-of-cost upgrade to all purchasers post 1st April 2016 ?”

Lemme know your thoughts …   Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(02-Aug-2016, 15:14)audio_engr Wrote: After many deliberations, I decided to go for the Devialet & procured the Le 400 in late April 2016 after purchasing them from a dealer in Frankfurt & then, shipping them to Sierra Leone (West Africa) where I am currently stationed.

Pretty much the next 8 weeks went on to burn-in my ‘new’ B&W 802 D3 speakers along with the Le 400. So, I was just about to settle down upon completion of 1000 hrs burn-in that effectively bought huge gains in SQ from both the B&Ws & the Devialet.

As this is my 1st time with computer audio, I started experimenting WiFi vs. USB vs. Ethernet using AIR 2.1.3 on mac and we suddenly got the AIR 3.0 beta. I am yet to figure out what is extra in the 3.0 over 2.1.3 and ended up with a lot of teething issues …

Several forum members helped me sort out the issues and suddenly we land up with Devialet announcing the PRO models & the upgrades for non-PRO to PRO with exorbitant pricing. Now for a guy like me, its practically impossible for me to cart the Devialet 200 Master + 200 Companion in their original packings all the way to Frankfurt from West Africa and then pay € 6,000 for them to be PRO 440 and “hopefully” be able to stream music faithfully from Audirvana …

And soon, we see Firmware 10.0.2 update that does sound nice BUT creates a new set of fuss for streaming on AIR 3.0 or AIR 2.1.3 so much so that I’ve given up Ethernet & WiFi and just about doing good now with USB (irrespective of its minuses … whatever they’re over Ethernet) as I have no other option … many thanks to the brilliant engineers at Devialet !!

So – the essence of writing this post is not to complain but to understand from fellow members that “is it incorrect to ask Devialet that they should carryout a Free-of-cost upgrade to all purchasers post 1st April 2016 ?”

Lemme know your thoughts …   Smile

Ah, you can ask but is anyone listening?  

Personally, I think they should reduce the upgrade cost for recent purchasers to the cost difference between the MSRP of the model you purchased and the equivalent Pro model since that would have been the price differential had you had a choice.

While that would seem to be the right thing for them to do, I'm not holding my breath.   (but then, all the more opportunity for them to exceed my expectations).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
You are not alone ......

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3276
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Although the Le400 tries to put a BIG smile on my face every time they're on,

I'm pretty much p*$$ed-off with Devialet for bungling up AIR & all sorts of false promises ...

And now - asking us to fork out €€€ for the PRO & more false promises !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(02-Aug-2016, 16:55)audio_engr Wrote: Although the Le400 tries to put a BIG smile on my face every time they're on,

I'm pretty much p*$$ed-off with Devialet for bungling up AIR & all sorts of false promises ...

There you go, you are now officially in the "Devialet Owners" club.   Sad
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(02-Aug-2016, 17:06)Dr Tone Wrote:
(02-Aug-2016, 16:55)audio_engr Wrote: Although the Le400 tries to put a BIG smile on my face every time they're on,

There you go, you are now officially in the "Devialet Owners" club.   Sad

Inevitably .. i'd to join the bandwagon soon as I couldn't live without you guys ..  Big Grin
Some people say that you should return/have returned your Devialet because of the AIR issues, some say you should be happy that they even offer you the option to upgrade, some say you shouldn't worry so much since your D is still as good as it was before they released the upgrade, some even say it's your own fault since you should have done your 'due diligence' before buying and that everything that's happened should be expected and just be forgiven since they're a young company, some say you should just sell and move on if you're not happy, some say nothing at all.

I say they are all morons and you are right! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Some say, the Stig is running on ADH.

Sorry, couldn't resist, the hint towards TG was too obvious ;-)
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
Was your unit bought with the 15% discount offer? If so, the upgrade price for you will be roughly the difference between what you paid for the D400 and the price of the new D440. Therefore you shouldn't be any further out of pocket than if you waited for the D440 rather than buying the D400 with the 15% discount.

If the numbers work that way then the upgrade price is fair and shouldn't be FOC.
(02-Aug-2016, 23:17)wikeeboy Wrote: Was your unit bought with the 15% discount offer? If so, the upgrade price for you will be roughly the difference between what you paid for the D400 and the price of the new D440. Therefore you shouldn't be any further out of pocket than if you waited for the D440 rather than buying the D400 with the 15% discount.

If the numbers work that way then the upgrade price is fair and shouldn't be FOC.

I paid the full price hence am complaining and screaming for FOC ...  Sad