Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs Linn Akuate (AK/1 A4200/1)
Just got an unsolicited email from Richer Sounds touting the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 for a much reduced £399. Anyone dare try a blind test against AIR / Totaldac or whatever? (probably sub-optimal I guess, but you never know)
(04-Sep-2014, 11:16)Confused Wrote: Linn Akurate vs Totaldac anyone? (and throw in Krell Connect, Linn Unitiserve, Pioneer N50 (wild card entry), and many many more possibilities......

I'll have the Akurate DS here next Tuesday.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-Sep-2014, 11:43)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'll have the Akurate DS here next Tuesday.

Guillaume

Is the Linn in the house??
(11-Sep-2014, 22:32)Confused Wrote:
(05-Sep-2014, 11:43)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'll have the Akurate DS here next Tuesday.

Guillaume

Is the Linn in the house??

I was meant to lend it to him and forgot it! Next week...!
Ah the suspense......
Hello

I currently have a LINN Majik DSM and am considering upgrading to the LINN Klimax or Devialet 200 with streamer. Some of you use something like the Akurate DS/1 as a streamer to the Devialet to maintain the capabilities and ease of use of Kinsky, etc.

I too like using the LINN Music management system and am wondering if the Majik would provide similar performance linked in with the Devialet, (considering the 200), or should I consider upgrading to the Akurate DS/1 and the Devialet?

For those that use the Akurate as a streamer, what output are you using to the Devialet.

Thanks in advance

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
In theory the digital stage of the Majik & Akurate are all but identical (I think the DS/1 has a slightly better clock) The main differences being in the analogue domain, so you should be able to go with the Majik (As that gives you HDMI switching). I'm not sure if you can disable the power amp though.

Use coax digital output.

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(29-Oct-2014, 14:21)rik Wrote: In theory the digital stage of the Majik & Akurate are all but identical (I think the DS/1 has a slightly better clock) The main differences being in the analogue domain, so you should be able to go with the Majik (As that gives you HDMI switching). I'm not sure if you can disable the power amp though.

Use coax digital output.

Rik

Thanks Rik

At the TAVES 2014 show here in Toronto today and decided to go with the D120 which I hope meets what I visualize as being the answer. If I think I need it, will upgrade to D200 later!

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
(01-Nov-2014, 19:31)boba2013 Wrote:
(29-Oct-2014, 14:21)rik Wrote: In theory the digital stage of the Majik & Akurate are all but identical (I think the DS/1 has a slightly better clock) The main differences being in the analogue domain, so you should be able to go with the Majik (As that gives you HDMI switching). I'm not sure if you can disable the power amp though.

Use coax digital output.

Rik

Thanks Rik

At the TAVES 2014 show here in Toronto today and decided to go with the D120 which I hope meets what I visualize as being the answer. If I think I need it, will upgrade to D200 later!

Bob

Well, it's a year later from when I purchased my 120 and started a musical love affair. I have a pretty simple system with the D120 upgraded to the 200 about 6 months ago, LINN Majik, coax to the D200 along with the Arcam D39 CD-SACD player. Cables are Siltech silver-gold Classic Anniversary for both interconnect and speaker runs.

A Mac-mini provides headless media source for my mainly FLAC ripped files using the excellent LINN Kazoo server software as a digial media gateway. The Arcam is hooked like the LiNN directly to the D200.

A MJ Acoustics Sub provides the lower Octaves one needs and is directly connected to the D200's sub L/R Coax.outputs. 

iPad with Kazoo client control's the LINN and I have still not delved into Devialet's AIR.

I am totally pleased with the ease of source selection, sound quality and reliability to simply walk in, turn on and start listening to what I feel is a top system. With the LINN operating like mainly a Digital source selector. I don't feel I have anything to gain going up to a Akurate at this time.

What is next? I think it is time to consider adding the Companion to the D200 for a 400 configuration.

I am only one year with the rig but could not be happier!

Cheers

Bob
(31-Aug-2014, 12:55)ryl1e Wrote: Hi
I am currently an owner of a mainly Linn system - LP12 (Dynavector) and Linn DS into Akurate Kontrol and 4200 amp feeding Linn Ninkas

I believe many of you may be ex Linn owners and would be interested in opinions on comparisons and any advice....
Any compared to Exakt...

I am away in France next week and plan to go to a Premier dealer to listen...
Thanks

I had a complete Linn Akurate system for roughly 3 years before taking the Devialet route.

For me, I found that the Linn Akurate system (which included 2 x 4200 power amps in a bi-amp configuration) was great for Classical and Jazz music but lacked real "balls" when the music demanded it (e.g. Rock, complex Classical passages, etc.).  I also found out the hard way that Linn gear (except for the LP12) is extremely hard to offload/sell and don't keep their resale value.  Plus, financially, I was not able to keep up with all their expensive upgrades.  Having said that, their DS players are excellent (Akurate & Klimax level) but I do find their software a little unreliable and at times frustrating, especially after some upgrades (that was my personal experience).

I now own a Devialet 200 and couldn't be happier.  It's a gorgeous looking component which can replace several separates (not to mention cabling) and sounds amazing.  And YES, it has real "balls".

As per the conclusion in the HI-FI Advice review of the Devialet 120 and 200 units:
"after having purchased a Devialet, you're basically done! No more cable swapping and component matching..."