Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs or with Chord Hugo...
Hi guys. My very first post Smile

I have both a Devialet 250 and a Chord Hugo, which I use as just as a headphone amp. It's difficult for me to compare apples to apples (speakers vs headphones), but my feeling is that the DAC in the Chord is quite a bit more sophisticated than the Devialet (awesome as it is). For me, the Chord is very forgiving of whatever input you give it. Anything sounds great. The Devialet excels with high res files, but cd quality can sound a little flat to me. Again, just my thoughts Smile
@chrish - Why not try the Hugo with the Devialet, using the Hugo's analogue output? I tried many combinations of DACs and Amps before eventually buying a Devialet. For me the Chord (in this case a Code X streamer, Similar DAC to Hugo) and the Devialet were the two I liked best. I think it would be fascinating to hear the Hugo through the Devialet.
(07-Oct-2014, 19:58)Confused Wrote: @chrish - Why not try the Hugo with the Devialet, using the Hugo's analogue output? I tried many combinations of DACs and Amps before eventually buying a Devialet. For me the Chord (in this case a Code X streamer, Similar DAC to Hugo) and the Devialet were the two I liked best. I think it would be fascinating to hear the Hugo through the Devialet.

Yeah, I thought about that but I guess the Devialet will just resample the analog output back to digital again (but at a lower sample rate) and lengthen the signal path. Might be an interesting experiment though. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Gonna be very interested to hear what the Devialet sounds like when I finally get my turntable setup. Digitizing the input from a phono cartridge sounds strange to my old fashioned hifi sensibilities, but I've heard rave reviews so I'm excited to give it a try. Guess even Linn is doing this these days with their Exact systems.
(08-Oct-2014, 04:28)chrish Wrote: Yeah, I thought about that but I guess the Devialet will just resample the analog output back to digital again (but at a lower sample rate) and lengthen the signal path. Might be an interesting experiment though. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Gonna be very interested to hear what the Devialet sounds like when I finally get my turntable setup. Digitizing the input from a phono cartridge sounds strange to my old fashioned hifi sensibilities, but I've heard rave reviews so I'm excited to give it a try. Guess even Linn is doing this these days with their Exact systems.

One of the great things about Devialets is that they really are very transparent and preserve the character of the source. This applies both to digital and analogue sources e.g. see f1eng's post earlier in this thread. I use an LP12 with my 200 and find that the coloured but really rather nice sound of the turntable is perfectly preserved Smile I'm sure you wont be disappointed when you finally get to hear your Avid.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(08-Oct-2014, 09:12)PhilP Wrote: One of the great things about Devialets is that they really are very transparent and preserve the character of the source.

+1

I used to run a Klimax DS through the analogue inputs of my Devialet. Sounded great and I preferred it to the sound of the Devialet DAC on its own.

Then I started experimenting with tweaks and got my Devialet sounding even better without the KDS. I therefore sold it raising funds to pay for even more tweaks! Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Oct-2014, 09:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 09:12)PhilP Wrote: One of the great things about Devialets is that they really are very transparent and preserve the character of the source.

+1

I used to run a Klimax DS through the analogue inputs of my Devialet. Sounded great and I preferred it to the sound of the Devialet DAC on its own.

Then I started experimenting with tweaks and got my Devialet sounding even better without the KDS. I therefore sold it raising funds to pay for even more tweaks! Tongue

Guillaume

Hope Devialet do the summer price reduction on the slave 250 unit again at some point. Missed the event this Summer. Think I will upgrade to the Devialet 800 at some point, even though I don't really need that sort of power. Like the mono bloc idea. Does the sample rate get increased to 384KHz like it says on the their website?
(09-Oct-2014, 13:06)chrish Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 09:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:

+1

Guillaume

Hope Devialet do the summer price reduction on the slave 250 unit again at some point. Missed the event this Summer. Think I will upgrade to the Devialet 800 at some point, even though I don't really need that sort of power. Like the mono bloc idea. Does the sample rate get increased to 384KHz like it says on the their website?

Chrish,

I have in vain tried to get an explanation from Devialet. The only answer I got was that I should ignore that info as this is not true. HOWEVER it is still there since the news came out about the 400 and 800.

I've given up writing to Devialet as I most of times get avoiding nonsense answers. It was better in the past so I guess something changed in Devialets strategy and their hybris is worse than ever.
Saying this I still think that the their units are among the best gear out there.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Well the configurator still shows 192 and 96 as options with 96 as the default.
FWIW I immediately went for 192 (bigger = better) when I first got my D-Premier a few years ago but went back to the default after a few months and have stayed with it.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I found analogue inputs seem to sound better set to the default 96 rather than 192.
(09-Oct-2014, 18:25)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I found analogue inputs seem to sound better set to the default 96 rather than 192.

I agree - my KDS sounded much better at the 96kHz input.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK