Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet with high efficiency speakers
I just found this forum which is timely given I'm very interested in learning more (and hopefully hearing) the Devialet products. Apologies if this issue has been covered --- I currently have high efficiency horn speakers with tube monoblocks and a tube preamp. Im looking to simplify things but not compromise on sound quality. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Devialet products and horn speakers. Im also considering Raidho speakers, which Ive heard, but not with Devialet, so any insight with this combination is also appreciated.
I have a Devialet 800 with Tune Audio Anima horn speakers (109 dB/watt). I have not heard better, and the signal to noise ratio is so good that the usual bugbear of horn speakers, revealing amp noise, is a non-issue.
I am sure a 110 would be fine with these speakers, but I already had the dual mono D-Premier amps when I bought the speakers
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have humble-ish Raidho C-1.1s and they work well with Devialet. Raidho speakers generally like a high damping-factor amp and Devialet provides that. The D200 is enough for the small Raidhos but I can't speak for the larger ones. Oh, and both amp and speakers are very neutral too, particularly the Devialet amp.
(06-Sep-2014, 22:02)f1eng Wrote: I have a Devialet 800 with Tune Audio Anima horn speakers (109 dB/watt). I have not heard better, and the signal to noise ratio is so good that the usual bugbear of horn speakers, revealing amp noise, is a non-issue.
I am sure a 110 would be fine with these speakers, but I already had the dual mono D-Premier amps when I bought the speakers

Thank you for the information. I hope to try a Devialet in my system in the next few weeks.

(06-Sep-2014, 22:05)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I have humble-ish Raidho C-1.1s and they work well with Devialet. Raidho speakers generally like a high damping-factor amp and Devialet provides that. The D200 is enough for the small Raidhos but I can't speak for the larger ones. Oh, and both amp and speakers are very neutral too, particularly the Devialet amp.

Thank you for your reply. I heard the C1.1s a couple of years ago and I was amazed at what the speaker could do. It's the primary reason Raidho is high on my list of speakers I'd like to hear with Devialet.

Regards
Last year I heard a demo with Devialet amps and different Avantgarde Horn speakers. Both amps and speakers in different models. It sounded great. In the demo they had trimmed de maximum output of the different Devialet amps (110, 170 and 240, by that time) to a level of 50-70 watts, claiming it sounded better in combination with these sensitive speakers. All that I remember was, that it was amazingly good.

[Image: Avantgarde__Acoustic_Duo_Omega.jpg]
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Anybody with Zu? I'd like to lose boxes but not my Superfly.
(01-Nov-2014, 02:34)Charlemagne Wrote: In the demo they had trimmed de maximum output of the different Devialet amps (110, 170 and 240, by that time) to a level of 50-70 watts, claiming it sounded better in combination with these sensitive speakers.

I can confirm that this is true with my 250. At the moment I have set the power to 150 watts. The speakers I use at the moment is not of the high sensitivity type at around 90 dB/w/m. In my setup the sound is more relaxed compared to full power setting, without loosing any of the other qualities of the Devialet sound
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(03-Nov-2014, 22:24)ogs Wrote:
(01-Nov-2014, 02:34)Charlemagne Wrote: In the demo they had trimmed de maximum output of the different Devialet amps (110, 170 and 240, by that time) to a level of 50-70 watts, claiming it sounded better in combination with these sensitive speakers.

I can confirm that this is true with my 250. At the moment I have set the power to 150 watts. The speakers I use at the moment is not of the high sensitivity type at around 90 dB/w/m. In my setup the sound is more relaxed compared to full power setting, without loosing any of the other qualities of the Devialet sound

I am surprised by this, I had assumed that reducing power (say to the maximum power rating of the speakers) in the "Max Power" section of the configurator would have zero impact on sound quality, and would simply limit power only if you reached epic SP levels that would actually start to cause speaker damage.

I might be wrong though. Does anyone know exactly what the "Max Power" setting does with respect to the amplifier performance and characteristics? I did send a query to Devialet regarding this point some time ago, the response was that you should set the "Max Power" rating to match the power rating of the speakers, which was not actually answering the question that I asked, with respect to any implications for sound quality.
In the demo that I attended they told me they had done some elaborate testing with Devialet and the Avantgarde speakers. They told me that the sound quality was better by trimming the maximum power down. Just by emperical research.

And of course there's the argument of not overpowering the very sensitive speakers.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(04-Nov-2014, 22:17)Charlemagne Wrote: In the demo that I attended they told me they had done some elaborate testing with Devialet and the Avantgarde speakers. They told me that the sound quality was better by trimming the maximum power down. Just by emperical research.

And of course there's the argument of not overpowering the very sensitive speakers.

I have no reason to question dealers findings with respect to them finding better sound quality, but the question I do have is why??