Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet with high efficiency speakers
(04-Nov-2014, 23:45)Confused Wrote:
(04-Nov-2014, 22:17)Charlemagne Wrote: In the demo that I attended they told me they had done some elaborate testing with Devialet and the Avantgarde speakers. They told me that the sound quality was better by trimming the maximum power down. Just by emperical research.

And of course there's the argument of not overpowering the very sensitive speakers.

I have no reason to question dealers findings with respect to them finding better sound quality, but the question I do have is why??

I tried set the power to range 30watt, 60watt and 120 watt. I found that by limiting the output power, the sound is relax and laid back. May the response time is limited if output power is low and smoothing the response curve.

My 2 cents worth thinking .
(01-Nov-2014, 09:44)mikehughescq Wrote: Anybody with Zu? I'd like to lose boxes but not my Superfly.

I have Zu Druid V and found the Devialet 200 a significant improvement over the Modwright 100 amp I had before.

I tried trimming the Max output, but didn't notice a difference in sound quality. I occasionally like to crank the volume, so I returned the setting back to 200.
What's your source photon?
I've been living with a D120 on my 96dB speakers for a week now, so I figure I would chime back in with a short report.

First, let me say that I came from a Primaluna Premium Integrated being fed by an NAD M51 DAC. Here it goes...

The bass was the first thing I noticed a very large improvement on; very tight, very full, and much deeper than with the tube amp... keep in mind that the Primaluna is a brute at 75Lbs. and is known for it's bass slamming output transformers! I noticed all of this within the first 30 seconds of listening.

The all important midrange... well a pleasant surprise there! I was expecting a less than stellar performance compared to the tubes; again, I was met with a very smooth and realistic presentation. I will have to admit that the tubes had a marginally better touch... you know... the tube touch. Some call it coloration; whatever you say. To me it adds just a touch more realism to the performance.

That last sentence may sound a bit negative, but trust me it's not. I find the D120 the closest I've heard to a modern (non vintage sounding) tube amplifier, with much better precision and slam in the bass, nearly identical in the midrange, and a top end with much greater detail... all the while retaining that non-sterile flow to the sound.

I realize I've been referring to the D120 as an amplifier... that being said, I feel most of it's success is in it's utterly amazing integration of DAC/PRE/AMP. Absolutely a keeper!
@goflyshirley: Well that is a nice review. Have fun with your Devialet! Your story does make me curious after the type of LSs you are using. And did you try trim down the maximum output of the amps? Some say the SQ is better on highly sensitive speakers.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
@Charlemagne:
My speakers are Troels Gravesen TQWT... they are DIY and built exactly per the design. Good question on trimming the power; I forgot to mention it, didn't I? I initially tried 40w, since that's where my previous amplifier left off. Not too long after that, I settled on 60w. Seems that the volume scale now ranges between -30 for quiet listening and -0 for some quasi-live volumes.

I think I may have noticed a SQ difference only at low volumes with full power available... maybe this has to do with the digital volume control being at a very low setting and starting to shed some bits? I really don't know. Either way, I'm very happy with the results now.

Next step is evaluating AIR vs USB... preliminary is in favor of USB, but I need a better Ethernet cable before I make up my mind. USB with Audirvana on a Macbook is much more open sounding... you know, the proverbial veil being lifted. Wink

BTW... The Dynaudio Sapphires are phenomenal speakers!
(20-Dec-2014, 19:54)goflyshirley Wrote: @Charlemagne:
BTW... The Dynaudio Sapphires are phenomenal speakers!

I fully agree! There are Danish design, like your Troels Gravesen. But there are more power hungry, with a sensitivity of 88 dB they quite need the full power of my D-250.

Dynaudio Sapphires

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=18577]

■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(18-Dec-2014, 08:01)mikehughescq Wrote: What's your source photon?

Mac mini - I use USB or WiFi to access iTunes library, Spotify, and Tidal.
VPI Traveler turntable with Zu Denon DL 103 cartridge