Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet with monitors getting into the 20+ hertz?
2nd post. Just heard of the Devialet brand today and then saw this forum.

I think understand what they are doing with SAM. However, one thing puzzles me a bit. They claim that post correction, the bass extension is considerably lower than the speakers' specifications published by the manufacturers.

For example, with the KEF LS50, it now is supposed to extend down to 28hz. However, there is no published specs as to what db and how much roll off.

Question. For those of you who have tested it with the KEF LS50 for example, any sense of whether the 28hz is really usable - even in a smaller listening space?

I am quite curious.

Thanks,
MtnGuy
I run a pair of KEF Blades but I do have some LS50's which are normally used in a surround sound set up. I did try the LS50's once with a D250 / SAM, just for fun realy. It was only for a quick listen, do they go to 28hz? Hard to say, but for sure, the bass was fairly epic, truly impressive. The SAM effect is a bit like upgrading a stand mount speaker to floor standers. There are other members on here that use LS50's as their main speakers. I'm sure they will chip in with their experiences in due course.

Welcome to the forum!
I use LS50s with a D120. I haven't measured with anything resembling a serious method or gadget how low they can go. They definitely do go VERY low, especially for a speaker of its size. Things vibrate when bass-strong music is played, I cannot say much more than that.

Hope it helps...

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Thanks! Wow, what a quick response.

A quick and informal test I do is to simply play this youtube video and listen with my ears. Of course, that does not take care of room nodes but it is sufficient to get a sense of bass extension and whether it is relatively flat or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrbFj9r10Y

Thanks!
MtnGuy

(24-Dec-2014, 22:43)LBameule Wrote: I use LS50s with a D120. I haven't measured with anything resembling a serious method or gadget how low they can go. They definitely do go VERY low, especially for a speaker of its size. Things vibrate when bass-strong music is played, I cannot say much more than that.

Hope it helps...

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I have had ls50's and used a minidsp to integrate them to twin SVS subs.
They are good speakers , but cannot do bass at any loud level at all. I was crossing them over at something like 80hz

You can mangle them anywhich way you like , but 28hz is not available from these speakers at any reasonable/usable level unless you listen real soft..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(25-Dec-2014, 05:59)Rodney Gold Wrote: I have had ls50's and used a minidsp to integrate them to twin SVS subs.
They are good speakers , but cannot do bass at any loud level at all. I was crossing them over at something like 80hz

You can mangle them anywhich way you like , but 28hz is not available from these speakers at any reasonable/usable level unless you listen real soft..

Yup totally agree, you would be lucky to be sitting at -12db at 28hz, I have no doubts that SAM is pulling some great results in bass extension, but to say that an LS50 has useable bass at 28hz is no more then marketing BS. LS50s are some of the best speakers made in the last 10 years from a bang for buck perspective but 28hz they ain't DSP or no DSP
Looking ot Devialets figures, I reckon they are at -6db. Plus the power needed for SAM will reduce headroom, so small speakers may have bass electronically limited if you try to push the volume. You canny change the laws of physics, as a wise Scotsman once said. Hence why I said SAM gives the LS50 epic bass, but on another who uses LS50s all the time as a main system wisely utilises multiple subs. The little KEF's can sound superb within limits, but there will be limits.
First post here! I just ordered a D120 and plan on using it with my KefLS-50 (for now). The D200 was out of my budget right now but I'm wondering if I should have waited and bought the D200? My plan is to add a sub as I got the optional sub pre-out.
(10-Jan-2015, 00:14)audiophile911 Wrote: First post here!  I just ordered a D120 and plan on using it with my KefLS-50 (for now).  The D200 was out of my budget right now but I'm wondering if I should have waited and bought the D200?  My plan is to add a sub as I got the optional sub pre-out.

Hi Audiophile911 and welcome to the forum.

I would say the D120 will offer the same sound signature as a D200. For your KEF LS-50 it would be a perfect match especially with SAM and their will be enough juice for those brilliant speaker. I also imagine that this is an excellent system especially if your room size is not that big and of course adding a sub may help with some of the lower frequencies, though i have listened to the D120 with stand-mount speakers and it was powerful enough to rock small rooms.

As i see it, the only drawback for D120 is you have no option to expand the system by adding additional companion units, so in a way you are stuck with the D120. had you bit the bullet on a D200, it opens the way for future expansion to D400. but then again you may not require that if you stay with less demanding speakers and smaller rooms.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I have tried my LS50s with my 800 just to see how SAM works. It was very impressive. I did not push the volume since my downstairs room is a bit big. The LS50 goes surprisingly loud considering its size though.
I am completely sure the 28Hz figure will be accurate but the maximum sound output at that frequency will be limited by the +5/-5mm travel and 5" driver.

There are plenty of sceptics about SAM on the internet but they seem to be older people with lots of experience of speakers but not mathematically minded. It is unsurprising that these people find it difficult to understand the difference between what they experienced for years with conventional systems and what is possible nowadays with clever engineering.
The laws of physics are being exploited rather than broken!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire