Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog 2.4 vs 5 Ghz band
It is said that dialog can use both 2.4 vs 5 Ghz channels. I live in a congested 2.4 Ghz neighborhood (just like anyone else). But there is only one 5 Ghz Wifi network which is in my house.  I looked at inSSDer for Dialog and found the Dialog network fighting with 15 other 2.4 Ghz channels.  I wish there was a way to setup dialog so that we could manually ask it to use 5 Ghz. Hopefully this is another feature that will be released in future firmware updates.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
Won't it link to whatever your modem and network are set to?
My impression is that Dialog is building it's own 'sound'-network in 2.4 GHz network environment but is able to connect to a 5MHz network if your router is working in 5GHz mode. So from my point of view Dialog is a wifi bridge or even a router itself.

So the connection between Dialog and Phantoms always will be influenced by other 2.4 GHz networks if they are using conflicting channels.

Last week I took them to a friend who is living in a big appartment complex. We weren't able to create a stable connection between Dialog and Phantoms because bandwith was so limited. We switched to ethernet what came hand in hand with a huge increase of sound quality. I immediately switched from Wifi to Ethernet connection at home too and the reproduction is a lot more detailed although I am the only guy around using Wifi because neighbors are far away.

So, if flat ethernet cables don't bother your desire for perfect optics this is the way to go :-)
Hi Chillin,

Ethernet between the dialog and phantom or between the internet router and dialog?

Best

Andreas
If it can help:

Ethernet:
i connected 2 silvers and 1 dialog to a Netgear Switch  GS105. The switch is connected to the apartment's ethernet all the way to the router (BT Hub 5). All the other connected devices use 2 additional GS105 switches attached to the router's other ports.

Power Supply:
the two silver and the dialog are connected to the same unfiltered simple, cheap 4 way gang socket which in turn is connected to a filtered 6 gang extension lead where also tv, apple tv, sky box, blue ray are connected. I guess in this way the communication via power line are preserved.

Wi-Fi:
For sure they run they own networks on two bands. i can see those 2 networks at 2.4 and 5ghz. For sure Spark uses my home network via pc/smartphone/tablet's own IP. Once it goes into dialog (or phantom) the mystery starts.

One thing is sure: i never had connection issues, noises, skipping music, silences, the set up is as simple as it can get - as per instruction manual. reset is as easy. you can unplug/plug from power without messing up settings.  everything works as it should. (...from the connection perspective Smile)))).
(15-Oct-2015, 14:31)andreas Wrote: Ethernet between the dialog and phantom or between the internet router and dialog?
Ethernet between internet router and Dialog, and between internet router and all Phantoms.