Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog Configuration Question
I have a single Phantom Silver and I love it.  I'm thinking about adding a second Phantom so I can enjoy stereo sound.  I'd like for my main source of audio to be a optical cable connected to an Apple TV.  I understand I'll need to add a Dialog to accomplish this.   

Does the Dialog need to remain connected via ethernet cable to the router after the initial setup?  My router is not near my Apple TV, so I'd prefer to set the Dialog near my Apple TV (connected via optical) and run the Dialog over wifi rather than hardwired via ethernet to the router.  Is this possible?  If not, can I leave the Dialog connected via ethernet to my router and then run the optical cable from the Apple TV to just one of the Phantoms?  Would this configuration keep the two dialogs in synch and allow me to play audio on stereo?

Thanks,
Jacob
(28-Jul-2016, 14:03)jcbmrtn Wrote: I have a single Phantom Silver and I love it.  I'm thinking about adding a second Phantom so I can enjoy stereo sound.  I'd like for my main source of audio to be a optical cable connected to an Apple TV.  I understand I'll need to add a Dialog to accomplish this.   

Does the Dialog need to remain connected via ethernet cable to the router after the initial setup?  My router is not near my Apple TV, so I'd prefer to set the Dialog near my Apple TV (connected via optical) and run the Dialog over wifi rather than hardwired via ethernet to the router.  Is this possible?  If not, can I leave the Dialog connected via ethernet to my router and then run the optical cable from the Apple TV to just one of the Phantoms?  Would this configuration keep the two dialogs in synch and allow me to play audio on stereo?

Thanks,
Jacob

The dialog needs to be hardwired to ethernet cable. There is no wifi option.
(28-Jul-2016, 15:44)seyak Wrote: The dialog needs to be hardwired to ethernet cable. There is no wifi option.

Dang, it sounds like I'll need to start fishing cables through the attic.  Thanks for the reply.
Fwiw, I have a Sonos connect which is connected to the network wirelessly. It also has an Ethernet plug and works as a bridge from witless to wired. So, The Sonos is connected to the network wirelessly, the dialog connected to the Sonos using an Ethernet cable. It - surprisingly to me - works without issues. I was expecting the worst considering how the dialog is fuzzy about connectivity to the network.

I am sure there are also other (better?) wifi to wired bridges out there. Also Powerline might be an alternative to running wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use PLC from the router to the Dialog without any problems. Standard Dlink 500 mbps.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
You can also use an Apple Airport in wifi extension mode. This allows you to connect it to the Dialog via Ethernet and the airport will connect to your wifi network. It works a dream. I have the same problem as you and didn't want to install Ethernet cable everywhere (cant anyway) and ended up with using the airport solution....

Oh...and it also gives you Airplay connectivity. Just connect an optical cable from the airport to the Dialog / Phantom.
At the moment the only use of the Dialog is to give you stereo. It's optical input has a problem with crackling sound.
So just get it connected to your network. Try it connected with your router first and see if you can get the Phantoms hooked up over wifi before you run cables.

Also there is built in PLC connectivity between Phantoms and Dialog. If the power line in the the two rooms are on the same circuit then you may find they connect to each other - requires some luck.

But definitely connect the Apple TV to one of the Phantoms.
Thanks for the replies.... some good options here.