Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog connection protocol
(13-Jun-2015, 08:24)NickB Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 07:36)Gremlin Wrote: Yes, it seems to me that it is stupid of Devialet to require both means of communication in the first place. Surely Wi-fi should be enough for their purposes. Or HomePlugAv.

But, instead, they require both. Surely, if one ain't working well enough, they should then default to the other, not demand both.

Sorry, but it seems stupid to me.

Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine work fine with wireless and ethernet or with homeplug and wireless. They do not work properly consistently with just wireless. They do not need all 3.
FWIW
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(13-Jun-2015, 10:02)f1eng Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 07:36)Gremlin Wrote: Yes, it seems to me that it is stupid of Devialet to require both means of communication in the first place. Surely Wi-fi should be enough for their purposes. Or HomePlugAv.

But, instead, they require both. Surely, if one ain't working well enough, they should then default to the other, not demand both.

Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

Mine work fine with wireless and ethernet or with homeplug and wireless. They do not work properly consistently with just wireless. They do not need all 3.
FWIW

Why can't they work with just one. Wi-Fi should be sufficient, shouldn't it? That's how I'm listening to music at this moment. Or ethernet or homeplug. Why should you have to perm two of three when one should do?
(13-Jun-2015, 10:09)Gremlin Wrote:

FWIW

Why can't they work with just one. Wi-Fi should be sufficient, shouldn't it? That's how I'm listening to music at this moment. Or ethernet or homeplug. Why should you have to perm two of three when one should do?

No idea, but one on its own definitely is not enough here.
I would imagine if wireless were sufficient they would have saved money and not fitted the others.
I don't know what/how much data transfer happens, but it certainly won't be anything like Sonos or the like given the way it works.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(13-Jun-2015, 10:14)f1eng Wrote:

FWIW

I would imagine if wireless were sufficient they would have saved money and not fitted the others.
I don't know what/how much data transfer happens, but it certainly won't be anything like Sonos or the like given the way it works.

Surely it should be able to handle Redbook without any problems. Audio streams are really low bandwidth, innit? And that is effectively halved for each Phantom surely, each only playing one channel? What else do they need to know? Synching, perhaps. But that can't take much.
(13-Jun-2015, 10:21)Gremlin Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 08:24)NickB Wrote: Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

FWIW

Surely it should be able to handle Redbook without any problems. Audio streams are really low bandwidth, innit? And that is effectively halved for each Phantom surely, each only playing one channel? What else do they need to know? Synching, perhaps. But that can't take much.

So this is guess work on your part then is it?

Do you then assume that your guesswork is better than their knowledge of their product?

Also I have yet to hear the any of the claimed interference that the old hair shirt style Audio designers say that this nasty new fangled stuff produces. Just remember that as far as they are concerned the Switch mode PSU in all the Devialet products mean that none of them can sound any good for starters. Of course it may be that they are better at repelling mains born interference than 25 KG of iron and copper.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Jun-2015, 15:22)NickB Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 10:21)Gremlin Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 10:02)f1eng Wrote: Mine work fine with wireless and ethernet or with homeplug and wireless. They do not work properly consistently with just wireless. They do not need all 3.
FWIW

So this is guess work on your part then is it?

Do you then assume that your guesswork is better than their knowledge of their product?

Also I have yet to hear the any of the claimed interference that the old hair shirt style Audio designers say that this nasty new fangled stuff produces. Just remember that as far as they are concerned the Switch mode PSU in all the Devialet products mean that none of them can sound any good for starters. Of course it may be that they are better at repelling mains born interference than 25 KG of iron and copper.

I was not guessing when I stated that audio requires only relatively low bandwidth.

I was speculating, in the hope of getting nearer to the truth, about the rest.

I guess that you misunderstood me.
I had speakers on separate circuits and putting them on the the same circuit has solved my problem of dropouts and weird problems of losing music on one Phantom from the optical input on another pair.

I thought I was going bonkers and couldn't pin it down for a while. It also affect installation and Phantom recognition/stability during setup. I now need this sorted as I want my Phantoms working throughout the house on different power circuits. It could be a problem though, as I have had problems with data crossing the switch board when using regular PLN adapters (no longer using these).

The Devialet website say that there are 3 WiFi and one power line network. I can only see 2 WiFi Dialog networks not 3. One 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz. Anyone know if there are 3 and whether one is hidden.?.. My Netspot app only picks up 2.

I have heard that that the PLN is used for devices to communicate with each other. Is this for Phantoms or Phantons and Dialog?

In Devialets credit they have been good in responding to my questions and are very helpful, but i haven't signed up to be a beta tester.
Do you have a network either wireless or wired all over your house?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Yes, the Dialog WiFi range covers the majority of the house and where I would want to put my Phantoms. The power line network (PLN) ideally should work throughout the house and even to neighbouring properties running on the same phase. It's the PLN that seems to be the weak link in my case.
Hi. 
I currently use a home plug system in my house and wonder if it will interfere with the Phantom PLN. Have anyone tried using two home plug systems on the same power circuit? 
I've made a reservation for two Phantom Silver and a Dialog, hopefully arriving mid July.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage