Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog stereo operation question incl bluetooth, optical in, connection to router....
I've looked at online video tutorial and their manual.  Still have some questions -perhaps I missed something. 

1. It looks like, from the videos, that once Dialog is setup for a pair of Phantoms, that one can then drive the pair in stereo using bluetooth? (Yes, along with the loss of audio quality.)   Anyone have a sense of how much drop in the audio quality?  

2. Does the dialog have to connect to the wifi router using a physical ethernet cable only?  Doesn't have wireless connection? 

3. I see that the dialog has optical input.  Can't one simply take an optical out from one's computer and connect to the dialog and then use the pair of phantoms to stream whatever audio is coming out of the computer and not be limited by streaming only preapproved providers such as Tidal or Spotify?   Does this mean that the computer has to be in the same room as the dialog and wifi-router.  (Which it usually isn't.)

4. Presumably the Phantoms connect directly to the wifi-router and then the wifi-router to the Dialog?  So if wifi is strong throughout the house, dialog will connect properly with the Phantoms via the router? 

Thanks in advance for any help with these basic questions...

Thanks!
MtnGuy

ps: For good measure - I thought that the only parts that move externally is the subwoofer. However, there's also another ring around the tweeter - is that the mids and does that move also?
1. Don't know.
2. I think so. I think the wireless and PLC is for the Phantoms only.
3. This is what I do. I play Spotify on my computer, use the optical output and put it into one of my Phantoms (not the Dialog, but that's only because the Phantom is closer to the computer). I get excellent sound this way.
4. Don't know.
3. Yes but I think u need spark to select the TOSLINK in...

4. Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(22-Oct-2015, 17:01)MountainGuy Wrote: I've looked at online video tutorial and their manual.  Still have some questions -perhaps I missed something. 

1. It looks like, from the videos, that once Dialog is setup for a pair of Phantoms, that one can then drive the pair in stereo using Bluetooth? (Yes, along with the loss of audio quality.)   Anyone have a sense of how much drop in the audio quality?  

2. Does the dialog have to connect to the wifi router using a physical ethernet cable only?  Doesn't have wireless connection? 

3. I see that the dialog has optical input.  Can't one simply take an optical out from one's computer and connect to the dialog and then use the pair of phantoms to stream whatever audio is coming out of the computer and not be limited by streaming only preapproved providers such as Tidal or Spotify?   Does this mean that the computer has to be in the same room as the dialog and wifi-router.  (Which it usually isn't.)

4. Presumably the Phantoms connect directly to the wifi-router and then the wifi-router to the Dialog?  So if wifi is strong throughout the house, dialog will connect properly with the Phantoms via the router? 

Thanks!
MtnGuy

ps: For good measure - I thought that the only parts that move externally is the subwoofer. However, there's also another ring around the tweeter - is that the mids and does that move also?

Hi

Some answers to your questions

1- Yes, once the phantoms are setup, you can stream any source by Bluetooth and you will get the stereo sound..Depending on the distance and the quality of the source and file, the audio quality is excellent.. I have tried several sounds in Bluetooth from my IPad and IPhone and the quality is excellent...event Youtube contents sound great with Phantom.

2- Dialog is a router... it need to connect to the Internet to be able to accept any streaming source... Yes, It  can only connect to a router via an Ethernet cable as It is not possible to access the user interface of the dialog... to possibly configure any WiFi connection... So you can only connect the dialog via a Cat6/Cat5 cable.

3- YOU can connect any source to the dialog via the optical  and you will get the sound... My connection downstairs is  simple... My TV is connected to the Dialog via Optical ..and all the HDMI source (DVD, Satellite box) are connected to the TV.. and the sound is outputted from Silver Phantoms.  One of my Sonos Zone player is connected via Optical to one of the Phantom and my C player is connected to the second phantom still via Optical... and all the sources allow stereo sound output.

4- Devialet  or Sonos use a proprietary secure, AES-encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network  to connect to each others... So you need to connect the Dialog to your Ethernet router  just to get Dialog to connect to outside world.. and that's it. The best possible fast internet is better than fast WiFi... for any UDP connection...

Hope the above is helpful.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Hi All,

This is Day 1 for me and the Forum - it took me some time to get myself 'verified'.  Currently I have (2) Silver Phantoms, (1) Dialogue and (1) Remote.  tidal Hi-Res Subscription is my primary source for Audio.  Like many of you I have probably spent more hours configuring and resetting my platform then enjoying it!  But with a lot of frustration, time and some help from Sebastien from Devialet; I believe I have made huge progress.  I am not one of the hard-core Audiophiles that spends time here; but I do love technology.  I am preparing a 'Phantoms for Dummies' PDF that will enable the user to save time when the Stork first delivers their Phantoms.  Here is a little preview of some things that I learned through trial and error.

I have a zero-handoff WiFi Network in my home.  I have (4) Long-range WAPS - 163m each.  That said here are some of the basics that I've found - and I will not be offended to be corrected.  I definitely have a bunch of questions still remaining!

a) If you have your own Router with Wifi for your home, then disable the Internet's Router - Bridge - disable its WiFi (SSID) Transmission, disable it from configuring DHCP.  Dummy it down!

b) I have a Router for my home (Ubiquiti) - I use it and a smart switch hub to assign DHCP to the Wireless Access Points and the LAN Connections - thus far points 'a' and 'b' are pretty simple.

c) If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router - this is also going to be the room for your primary Phantom/s.  Thus you absolutely must place an Apple Airport in that Room.  If you can run a LAN Cable to that room - great!  If not then you use PLC Adapters to run your broadband to that room.  Even if you can easily reach it via Wi-Fi - you still need to run a LAN Cable (i.e. CAT 5, 6 or 7) OR you must run via PLC Adapters.

d) The LAN connection in your listening room must go to the Apple Airport 1st.  Then it should be connected via LAN to your Dialogue Unit.

e) You must configure the Airport to configure DHCP and NAT.  **This will seem like a problem - you WILL get an error message.  So take a minute to set the range (there are options) to a range different from your range already in place for the home.  If you aren't techie - take your best guess - you're not really going to hurt anything.  **The Dialogue and Phantoms need you to create this private network because they are too low in the pecking order to work well because your router is giving other connections VIP Status and our Devilalet setups are back of the Bus!  Finally you can click on the error message within the Airport Utility and IGNORE THE ERROR - this makes us happy because the Airport LED goes back to solid Green and makes us feel warm and fuzzy!

f) I am going to end this with one last issue.  We are apparently way behind in the US vs. Europe with PLC Adapters (Plug in devices that pass Internet or Data via your AC Wiring in your home).  When you purchase them - you can purchase them with LAN Connectors (RJ 45) standard or with optional AC Pass-through - the ones with the latter enable the device to pass data via the AC Plug itself even without the LAN (CAT Cable) Connection.  **However if you buy the latest and greatest - beware of the ones that have power save)  I found that my Netgear PLCs were fine because they don't have AC Pass Through.  However some TP Link (lesser name in the US but huge elsewhere) have AC Passthrough .  By default they love power save and the LEDs stop blinking - they stop helping the Dialogue and the Phantoms talk!  I had to go to the manufacturer to find the utility to disable power save - huge hassle and it was only Windows based - so first day no help at home with IOS only devices!  ** Biggest surprise of this part of my setup is this:

The Phantoms have PLC Technology built in via their ugly yellow cable and plug!  Really?  Yes!!!  We only need the PLC Connection for the Dialogue Unit.  I chose one with AC Pass through.  Secondly if your Apple Airport, Dialogue and Phantoms are in the same room - surprise surprise - they're probably on the same circuit!  This means that crazy idea that our Phantoms really need WiFi PLUS PLC - works!!! Until this time like may of us I thought we connect either wired or wireless with wired being faster or more stable and wireless being convenient for our phones, tablets, laptops, Echos - etc.  But yes the Phantom/Dialogue Setup really needs both.

I had drops out that gave me fits - if I had to go place my hand on a Phantom one more time - or push the button three times or reconfigure Spark - I was going to throw a Phantom out a Window!  Even funnier - and I'm probably not the first to notice but one Phantom would drop out when I turned them up louder - like around 60-70??? I thought they were clipping!  But then I realized - the circuit in the breaker box had never tripped?  Hmmm.  I started to realize there may be a connection to the high electrical draw through the plug and the ability for the system to communicate.  I better stop here - but here are the 4 gold keys to me finally loving my little white beasts:

a) you must (and I was stubborn) place your Airpot (but an Express - don't be cheap even if your system mostly works), your Dialogue and your Phantoms in the same room - which also most likely means the same circuit (i.e. - if you flip that lever in your box they all shut off).
b) Buy and use a PLC Adapter - so cheap on Amazon if nowhere else - on your Dialogue.  It should have AC Pass through - to speak to her Devialet Siblings in the room.  Use the darn thing on the Dialogue - not the Airport.  At one point I had a PLC on the Dialogue, Airport and each Phantom - its almost funny now that I'm no longer promising to pack up and ship my Phantoms back!
c) Create a private Network in your listening room through the Airport with DHCP and NAT enabled - if this is your only router - its a no brainer - but if like me you have another router in the house - ignore the Double NAT Warning - but do your best if you have some understanding to select the best (1 of 3) ranges for DNS Range.
d) When a-c steps are good then definitely subscribe (even for just trial) to a hi-res source such as Beyonce's husband - what's his name - haha! and download the latest update for Spark/Dialogue.  

LAST but not least.  By creating the private network in your listening room - your wireless devices phone/tablet or laptop/computer - MUST choose the private Devialet Network before you open Spark!  I forget this often for a couple of days and I got the 'Welcome to Spark' Message - yuk!  Taking a minute to make your Phantom Private Network at least your 2nd favor preferred Network is smart - even my darn adjustable bed creates it own network - so you don't want your phantoms trying to wade through neighbors SSIDs, or the other weirdo networks in your own home!  

Now that I've done these 'Phantom for Dummies' Steps - every single time I open Spark - it is instant.  My Phantoms have not dropped out in two weeks, not even when I crank up the one new Drake Song to make their ears flap like soldiers when I'm showing them off!

I tried to keep this short, avoiding technical stuff/terms - I can share more detail and I'd love to learn some stuff too!

Best - Adam in Hilton Head
THANKS everyone! Really.

Angenet, you wrote:
2- Dialog is a router... it need to connect to the Internet to be able to accept any streaming source... Yes, It can only connect to a router via an Ethernet cable as It is not possible to access the user interface of the dialog... to possibly configure any WiFi connection... So you can only connect the dialog via a Cat6/Cat5 cable.

3- YOU can connect any source to the dialog via the optical and you will get the sound... My connection downstairs is simple... My TV is connected to the Dialog via Optical ..and all the HDMI source (DVD, Satellite box) are connected to the TV.. and the sound is outputted from Silver Phantoms. One of my Sonos Zone player is connected via Optical to one of the Phantom and my C player is connected to the second phantom still via Optical... and all the sources allow stereo sound output.

AdamInHiltonHead, you wrote:
c) If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router - this is also going to be the room for your primary Phantom/s. Thus you absolutely must place an Apple Airport in that Room. If you can run a LAN Cable to that room - great! If not then you use PLC Adapters to run your broadband to that room. Even if you can easily reach it via Wi-Fi - you still need to run a LAN Cable (i.e. CAT 5, 6 or 7) OR you must run via PLC Adapters.

Questions for all....Smile

1. One says that Dialogue has to be connected physically to my wifi router. Another says 'If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router...' So question - does my Dialogue need to be connected to my router or not?

2. I plan to use optical output of my computer to connect to the Dialogue. If I do not connect to the internet to stream but will simply play my audio sound off my computer via optical output to Dialogue to Phantoms, do I still have to be connected to internet? Angenet when you say that one has to connect to the internet to stream, do you mean to stream internet content or even content via optical?

I'm sure it is all very simple - apologies for my follow-up questions.

Thanks,
MtnGuy
(22-Oct-2015, 22:52)MountainGuy Wrote: THANKS everyone!  Really.

Angenet, you wrote:
2- Dialog is a router... it need to connect to the Internet to be able to accept any streaming source... Yes, It  can only connect to a router via an Ethernet cable as It is not possible to access the user interface of the dialog... to possibly configure any WiFi connection... So you can only connect the dialog via a Cat6/Cat5 cable.

3- YOU can connect any source to the dialog via the optical  and you will get the sound... My connection downstairs is  simple... My TV is connected to the Dialog via Optical ..and all the HDMI source (DVD, Satellite box) are connected to the TV.. and the sound is outputted from Silver Phantoms.  One of my Sonos Zone player is connected via Optical to one of the Phantom and my C player is connected to the second phantom still via Optical... and all the sources allow stereo sound output.

AdamInHiltonHead, you wrote:
c) If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router - this is also going to be the room for your primary Phantom/s.  Thus you absolutely must place an Apple Airport in that Room.  If you can run a LAN Cable to that room - great!  If not then you use PLC Adapters to run your broadband to that room.  Even if you can easily reach it via Wi-Fi - you still need to run a LAN Cable (i.e. CAT 5, 6 or 7) OR you must run via PLC Adapters.

Questions for all....Smile

1. One says that Dialogue has to be connected physically to my wifi router.  Another says 'If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router...'    So question - does my Dialogue need to be connected to my router or not?

2. I plan to use optical output of my computer to connect to the Dialogue. If I do not connect to the internet to stream but will simply play my audio sound off my computer via optical output to Dialogue to Phantoms, do I still have to be connected to internet?  Angenet when you say that one has to connect to the internet to stream, do you mean to stream internet content or even content via optical?

I'm sure it is all very simple - apologies for my follow-up questions.

Thanks,
MtnGuy
Hi

YOU Definitely need the dialog to connect to Internet via a wired connection . SO simple answer... you need to connect  the Dialog to the broadband/adsl router... extremely important...

For AdamInHiltonHead, it may be instances where the Dialog is located in other room... one example is that you may have a network switch located in a different room where you need to connect the dialog to the switch..

For example, your router is in a living room... and there is an Ethernet switch in your office/study/bedroom.. and you want to locate the dialog in your bedroom.. in that case, you will need the dialog to be connected to that Swith in your bedroom/study/office
You may have instance where a long Ethernet cable is run to another room to extend the network...

But the ultimate answer is yes... DIALOG NEED TO BE WIRED  to any network devices with access to the Internet.

Yes, the source connection via Toslink cable will always play without the need of internet... My CD player is connected to the phantom via Tosklink.. and I play my CDs with no problem...

Think of the Phantom as a AV receiver/AMP and speaker combined...

The internet is for Streaming from internet sources such as Tidal, Qobuz, and for firmware upgrade...

Hope the above answer those questions
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(22-Oct-2015, 22:22)AdamInHiltonHead Wrote: Hi All,

This is Day 1 for me and the Forum - it took me some time to get myself 'verified'.  Currently I have (2) Silver Phantoms, (1) Dialogue and (1) Remote.  tidal Hi-Res Subscription is my primary source for Audio.  Like many of you I have probably spent more hours configuring and resetting my platform then enjoying it!  But with a lot of frustration, time and some help from Sebastien from Devialet; I believe I have made huge progress.  I am not one of the hard-core Audiophiles that spends time here; but I do love technology.  I am preparing a 'Phantoms for Dummies' PDF that will enable the user to save time when the Stork first delivers their Phantoms.  Here is a little preview of some things that I learned through trial and error.

I have a zero-handoff WiFi Network in my home.  I have (4) Long-range WAPS - 163m each.  That said here are some of the basics that I've found - and I will not be offended to be corrected.  I definitely have a bunch of questions still remaining!

a) If you have your own Router with Wifi for your home, then disable the Internet's Router - Bridge - disable its WiFi (SSID) Transmission, disable it from configuring DHCP.  Dummy it down!

b) I have a Router for my home (Ubiquiti) - I use it and a smart switch hub to assign DHCP to the Wireless Access Points and the LAN Connections - thus far points 'a' and 'b' are pretty simple.

d) The LAN connection in your listening room must go to the Apple Airport 1st.  Then it should be connected via LAN to your Dialogue Unit.

e) You must configure the Airport to configure DHCP and NAT.  **This will seem like a problem - you WILL get an error message.  So take a minute to set the range (there are options) to a range different from your range already in place for the home.  If you aren't techie - take your best guess - you're not really going to hurt anything.  **The Dialogue and Phantoms need you to create this private network because they are too low in the pecking order to work well because your router is giving other connections VIP Status and our Devilalet setups are back of the Bus!  Finally you can click on the error message within the Airport Utility and IGNORE THE ERROR - this makes us happy because the Airport LED goes back to solid Green and makes us feel warm and fuzzy!

f) I am going to end this with one last issue.  We are apparently way behind in the US vs. Europe with PLC Adapters (Plug in devices that pass Internet or Data via your AC Wiring in your home).  When you purchase them - you can purchase them with LAN Connectors (RJ 45) standard or with optional AC Pass-through - the ones with the latter enable the device to pass data via the AC Plug itself even without the LAN (CAT Cable) Connection.  **However if you buy the latest and greatest - beware of the ones that have power save)  I found that my Netgear PLCs were fine because they don't have AC Pass Through.  However some TP Link (lesser name in the US but huge elsewhere) have AC Passthrough .  By default they love power save and the LEDs stop blinking - they stop helping the Dialogue and the Phantoms talk!  I had to go to the manufacturer to find the utility to disable power save - huge hassle and it was only Windows based - so first day no help at home with IOS only devices!  ** Biggest surprise of this part of my setup is this:

The Phantoms have PLC Technology built in via their ugly yellow cable and plug!  Really?  Yes!!!  We only need the PLC Connection for the Dialogue Unit.  I chose one with AC Pass through.  Secondly if your Apple Airport, Dialogue and Phantoms are in the same room - surprise surprise - they're probably on the same circuit!  This means that crazy idea that our Phantoms really need WiFi PLUS PLC - works!!! Until this time like may of us I thought we connect either wired or wireless with wired being faster or more stable and wireless being convenient for our phones, tablets, laptops, Echos - etc.  But yes the Phantom/Dialogue Setup really needs both.

I had drops out that gave me fits - if I had to go place my hand on a Phantom one more time - or push the button three times or reconfigure Spark - I was going to throw a Phantom out a Window!  Even funnier - and I'm probably not the first to notice but one Phantom would drop out when I turned them up louder - like around 60-70??? I thought they were clipping!  But then I realized - the circuit in the breaker box had never tripped?  Hmmm.  I started to realize there may be a connection to the high electrical draw through the plug and the ability for the system to communicate.  I better stop here - but here are the 4 gold keys to me finally loving my little white beasts:

a) you must (and I was stubborn) place your Airpot (but an Express - don't be cheap even if your system mostly works), your Dialogue and your Phantoms in the same room - which also most likely means the same circuit (i.e. - if you flip that lever in your box they all shut off).
b) Buy and use a PLC Adapter - so cheap on Amazon if nowhere else - on your Dialogue.  It should have AC Pass through - to speak to her Devialet Siblings in the room.  Use the darn thing on the Dialogue - not the Airport.  At one point I had a PLC on the Dialogue, Airport and each Phantom - its almost funny now that I'm no longer promising to pack up and ship my Phantoms back!
c) Create a private Network in your listening room through the Airport with DHCP and NAT enabled - if this is your only router - its a no brainer - but if like me you have another router in the house - ignore the Double NAT Warning - but do your best if you have some understanding to select the best (1 of 3) ranges for DNS Range.
d) When a-c steps are good then definitely subscribe (even for just trial) to a hi-res source such as Beyonce's husband - what's his name - haha! and download the latest update for Spark/Dialogue.  

LAST but not least.  By creating the private network in your listening room - your wireless devices phone/tablet or laptop/computer - MUST choose the private Devialet Network before you open Spark!  I forget this often for a couple of days and I got the 'Welcome to Spark' Message - yuk!  Taking a minute to make your Phantom Private Network at least your 2nd favor preferred Network is smart - even my darn adjustable bed creates it own network - so you don't want your phantoms trying to wade through neighbors SSIDs, or the other weirdo networks in your own home!  

Now that I've done these 'Phantom for Dummies' Steps - every single time I open Spark - it is instant.  My Phantoms have not dropped out in two weeks, not even when I crank up the one new Drake Song to make their ears flap like soldiers when I'm showing them off!

I tried to keep this short, avoiding technical stuff/terms - I can share more detail and I'd love to learn some stuff too!

Best - Adam in Hilton Head

Hello - this is my first post here so thank you for this thread and others! I purchased two silvers and a dialogue (and now a remote as well). At first all was well with the older software 1.3 but now I continually have problems with the sound. I have the same phase shifting/channel swapping that others have experienced. Occasionally I would also hear one side louder than the other etc. (haven't seen this one mentioned yet). 

I called Devialet support and they asked me to hardwire ethernet cables to the silvers to prevent the problems I was having (due to living in an apartment with many wifi signals passing through the room). They also said that if I set up the network properly then it would also be fine. I really don't want to run extra wires to the silvers to get good sound! 

I believe it can be solved by making a robust network in the room as you outlined above. So in response:

a) yes 
b) can you give a link to specific one? Do I connect the ethernet cable form my Apple Time Capsule, which is connected to our modem, to this? Do I need another one where the phantoms are located? 
c) "do your best if you have some understanding to select the best (1 of 3) ranges for DNS Range." can you help with this? I get the double NAT warning. I will also try and turn the modem to Bridge Mode to get rid of the warning.
d) yes 

Thank you anyone for your help! 

BTW - Is possible to make a sticky for newbies on how to create a robust network? It seems there are a few options around but less obvious how to do some of the steps.   

James
(22-Oct-2015, 17:01)MountainGuy Wrote: I've looked at online video tutorial and their manual.  Still have some questions -perhaps I missed something. 

1. It looks like, from the videos, that once Dialog is setup for a pair of Phantoms, that one can then drive the pair in stereo using bluetooth? (Yes, along with the loss of audio quality.)   Anyone have a sense of how much drop in the audio quality?  

Thanks!
MtnGuy

1. Yes you can stream via Bluetooth for stereo playback. After you set up the Phantoms with the Dialog, you connect your bluetooth source to one of the phantoms via Bluetooth. You may have to try both to find the one that gives you the proper stereo playback from both Phantoms. I found that one would, the other would play back in mono only from that Phantom. With modern Bluetooth, I don't find sound quality to be a big problem.

2. The Dialog is itself a wifi router that sets up a wifi network with the Phantoms. It needs to have hardwire access to the internet like any other wifi router, and therefore needs to be connected via an ethernet cable into the existing hub that is getting the internet coming into your home.

3. You could have an optical input into the Dialog if your computer has such an output or you can get the right adapter. Here is how I do it: I stream my music from my Mac laptop, via AirPlay, to an Apple Airport Express that is in the equipment cabinet with my Dialog. The Airport Express is connected by TosLink to mini-Toslink cable into the Dialog. When I select audio output on my Mac laptop, I select "AirPlay" to make sure the music is output to the Airport Express. You also need the Spark app on your laptop to control the volume of the Phantoms (you will have a volume slider there plus your system volume or the volume on whatever playback app you're using, in my case, Audirvana). This way I can sit in the room with the Phantoms, the laptop at my side to control the music, while everything is streamed to the Airport Express, by TosLink to the Dialogs, and from there in stereo to the Phantoms. I find this setup to be much more stable than using bluetooth, and the sound quality is probably somewhat better. PS -- on the Spark app on your laptop, you need to make sure you have the optical input to the Dialog enabled (do not worry about the optical inputs to the Phantoms themselves, they should be left off)

4. The Phantoms talk directly to the Dialog via wifi. They do not connect directly to your main internet router or to an Airport or anything like that.
Thank you! Very clear. 
MtnGuy