Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences between streamers ?
Hi all,

I want to use my Expert with a smartphone, which is much more convenient to me than a laptop with Air.
So I have to plug a streamer to the amp, and feed it with an app.

As I want to connect the streamer either to the USB or a digital input, the Devialet's DAC will be at work.

My question is : with the the Devialet's DAC processing the sound, will there be an audible (measurable ?) difference between a Chromecast audio, an Octavio (https://www.octavio.fr/en/), an Auralic Aries Mini, or any 2 000 € solution ?

Thank you for your insights

Matt
Devialet Expert 220 Pro - Atohm GT2 - Auralic Aries Mini
I'm one of those people who think that everything in the system contributes to the result which means that any part of the system may cause a difference.

The Devialet DAC is going to be a constant. Where could differences occur? People report differences between ethernet, USB, AES/EBU, coax, optical, and wifi sources. Some of those differences are due to the fact that not all of those inputs can accept streams of the same resolution. Another difference relates to the clocking of the input stream which can contribute to jitter. Another potential point of difference is whether the DAC is galvanically insulated from the source of the stream, at least as far as electrical noise travelling with the source. Wifii and optical don't involve an electrical connection for the stream so there's a level of galvanic isolation there that copper wired connections don't have. There's issues with the source streamer with reports that different streamers do sound different.

Will there be an audible or measurable difference? There could be but it's going to depend on which streamers you compare, whether you connect them to your Devialet via the same method (not all streamers have the same output options) and, when it comes to measurements, whether you can compare the same measurements made in exactly the same way with test equipment of the same accuracy.

So, you may notice a difference but if you do, then which is better? Different people like different sound presentations which is why some people use Devialet amps and some don't, and why not all Devialet owners use the same streaming device or connection method. Even if you can find someone who has compared two or more specific setups that you are interested in, there's no guarantee that you and they will prefer the same combination over the others compared.

The question is never really about whether there will or won't be an audible or measurable difference. The first question is always whether you can hear one and, if you can hear a difference, then the second question is which one you prefer. You're the only person who can answer those 2 questions, no one else can answer them for you.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(24-Jun-2021, 10:04)David A Wrote: I'm one of those people who think that everything in the system contributes to the result which means that any part of the system may cause a difference.

The Devialet DAC is going to be a constant. Where could differences occur? People report differences between ethernet, USB, AES/EBU, coax, optical, and wifi sources. Some of those differences are due to the fact that not all of those inputs can accept streams of the same resolution. Another difference relates to the clocking of the input stream which can contribute to jitter. Another potential point of difference is whether the DAC is galvanically insulated from the source of the stream, at least as far as electrical noise travelling with the source. Wifii and optical don't involve an electrical connection for the stream so there's a level of galvanic isolation there that copper wired connections don't have. There's issues with the source streamer with reports that different streamers do sound different.

Will there be an audible or measurable difference? There could be but it's going to depend on which streamers you compare, whether you connect them to your Devialet via the same method (not all streamers have the same output options) and, when it comes to measurements, whether you can compare the same measurements made in exactly the same way with test equipment of the same accuracy.

So, you may notice a difference but if you do, then which is better? Different people like different sound presentations which is why some people use Devialet amps and some don't, and why not all Devialet owners use the same streaming device or connection method. Even if you can find someone who has compared two or more specific setups that you are interested in, there's no guarantee that you and they will prefer the same combination over the others compared.

The question is never really about whether there will or won't be an audible or measurable difference. The first question is always whether you can hear one and, if you can hear a difference, then the second question is which one you prefer. You're the only person who can answer those 2 questions, no one else can answer them for you.

+1 

And the EtherRegen gives almost in all the systems a good result.
(24-Jun-2021, 10:04)David A Wrote: I'm one of those people who think that everything in the system contributes to the result which means that any part of the system may cause a difference.

+1 

And the EtherRegen gives almost in all the systems a good results.
If you are using an Apple phone, expert pro models work with Airplay which is a pretty good solution. Alternatively if you're using Spotify, they also have Spotify connect as well.

Last i remember, the devialet smartphone app also allows you to play tracks from your phone itself to the amp but i don't know what protocol or any limits on it. I would guess it's not a great user experience.

If none of the above work, I'd try optical out from a chromecast audio or USB from one of the Pi solutions to see if that's good enough before spending big money.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Hello

Last week I changed from using roon ethernet air to daphile usb. I know it sounds like I am crazy but the improvement was bigger than going from 250 to 250 pro.

Same computer, same music. Cable was audioquest cinnamon ethernet; now is audioquest carbon usb. Even with a cheap usb cable the difference was huge.
Computer is a simple AliExpress 6100u 8gb mem 64tb ssd. Around 300 eur. Using wifi samba to get flax from synology nas.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
(24-Jun-2021, 18:09)jbp Wrote: Last week I changed from using roon ethernet air to daphile usb. I know it sounds like I am crazy but the improvement was bigger than going from 250 to 250 pro.

I am not surprised.  I have heard on a number of setups where native apps beat Roon SQ.  However, these owners preferred Roon for its functionality despite that.
I use SPDIF coaxial out from a Pi (running Moode) + allo digione HAT into my D-Premier. SQ is superb.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
I tested several streamers connected to the 100 MHz output of an EtherRegen by a Shunyata Alpha Ethernet Cable and to the Devialet by USB (Transparent) or spdif (Kimber ks2020). These included the Aurender X100 and W20, DCS Network Bridge, Wattson Emerson, and Devialet Roon. The Roon core was either a Nucleus+ or a dedicate MacBook Air. In my opinion the best sound quality in general was achieved with the Wattson Emerson connected to the Devialet by spdif, with the Nucleus as Roon Core.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
Thanks for your advices !
Devialet Expert 220 Pro - Atohm GT2 - Auralic Aries Mini