Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Optical Mode
(05-Aug-2021, 07:49)ogs Wrote: The Dante adapter(with the Tascam or any converter really, Dante is rather strict on compatibility)  should work equally well with both Phantom I models provided Devialet keeps Optical Direct Mode as an option for both. I don't think Phantom II can be configured for low latency in any mode and it may not have the capacity  to work as a DJ speaker.

At the moment I am driving the Phantom II's with a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC using the audio cable and they go much louder than if I was using for example Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. They stereo pair nicely using just 1 cable to the master. I think they could handle a small venue like a bar-room. However, I was toying with the idea of using 2 Phantom I as front of house speakers and the 2 Phantom II as monitors and for extra coverage etc. I will definitely be getting 2 Phantom I's very soon though, as it sounds like I'll be able to get them to do exactly what I need them to do. It's a shame I can't do the same with the Phantom II's
(06-Aug-2021, 20:29)DJ Storm Wrote:
(05-Aug-2021, 07:49)ogs Wrote: The Dante adapter(with the Tascam or any converter really, Dante is rather strict on compatibility)  should work equally well with both Phantom I models provided Devialet keeps Optical Direct Mode as an option for both. I don't think Phantom II can be configured for low latency in any mode and it may not have the capacity  to work as a DJ speaker.

At the moment I am driving the Phantom II's with a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC using the audio cable and they go much louder than if I was using for example Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. They stereo pair nicely using just 1 cable to the master. I think they could handle a small venue like a bar-room. However, I was toying with the idea of using 2 Phantom I as front of house speakers and the 2 Phantom II as monitors and for extra coverage etc. I will definitely be getting 2 Phantom I's very soon though, as it sounds like I'll be able to get them to do exactly what I need them to do. It's a shame I can't do the same with the Phantom II's

Phantoms are quite vulnerable designs. Moving them around from place to place could easily damage them. To make them more transport and rig friendly, mount each in a square-ish open steel frame for protection - just to give you an idea:

And remember that the Dante adapter requires Power Over Ethernet. Good luck!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
That's a great idea. I was thinking about mounting them in home-made plywood cabinets to protect and disguise them so no-one would want to steal them!    

Phantoms are quite vulnerable designs. Moving them around from place to place could easily damage them. To make them more transport and rig friendly, mount each in a square-ish open steel frame for protection - just to give you an idea:

(07-Aug-2021, 00:01)DJ Storm Wrote: That's a great idea. I was thinking about mounting them in home-made plywood cabinets to protect and disguise them so no-one would want to steal them!

I hope you are joking
(07-Aug-2021, 00:01)DJ Storm Wrote: That's a great idea. I was thinking about mounting them in home-made plywood cabinets to protect and disguise them so no-one would want to steal them!

Just pull a bag of acoustically transparent fabric over the frame if you want to conceal the speakers Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I'm a huge fan of Dante with the phantoms have setup my entire house to us Dante and phantoms. I also setup an outdoor theater recently using a macbook pro, usb to dante adapter, small poe switch, dante to optical adapers and a pair of phantom 1s.

Here is a pic of the setup
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6XRXtiitys5RQAdZ6

The cool thing is that I didn't need to setup a real network... dante adapters all found themselves with no issues. The setup is rock solid.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(07-Aug-2021, 17:36)njaiswal Wrote: I'm a huge fan of Dante with the phantoms have setup my entire house to us Dante and phantoms. I also setup an outdoor theater recently using a macbook pro, usb to dante adapter, small poe switch, dante to optical adapers and a pair of phantom 1s.

The cool thing is that I didn't need to setup a real network... dante adapters all found themselves with no issues. The setup is rock solid.

Yep it’s totally awesome, I have a extra datsat rs20i with built in aes output if your interested in one it’s in perfect shape with most up to date hdmi card and aura 3D and Dolby atmos. Add this in to make it insane I have 12 phantom golds..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-Aug-2021, 17:36)njaiswal Wrote: I'm a huge fan of Dante with the phantoms have setup my entire house to us Dante and phantoms.  I also setup an outdoor theater recently using a macbook pro, usb to dante adapter, small poe switch, dante to optical adapers and a pair of phantom 1s. 

The cool thing is that I didn't need to setup a real network... dante adapters all found themselves with no issues.  The setup is rock solid.

Sorry for the late reply, I've just completed my setup. I used the Devialet upgrade programme to upgrade my 2 Phantom Reactors to 2 Phantom 1 108dB.
I successfully configured Direct Optical Mode and got 2 analogue to Toslink converters. I connected them to my Bose T4S mixer with 6.35mm mono to 2xRCA splitters and the results are fantastic. I also had brackets made to mount the Phantoms onto 35mm speaker poles.