Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Direct cable connect Phantom Gold with Macbook or iPhone
Hi all, I have a Phantom gold and i want connect via cable with macbook pro or iphone for the best quality sounds
How to do that ? please help. Thanks.
(20-Jul-2018, 12:03)djhoangwar Wrote: Hi all, I have a Phantom gold and i want connect via cable with macbook pro or iphone for the best quality sounds

You do not have a Dialog, right? 

For best quality sound, you would need a physical connection via optical. Depending on what type of MacBook Pro you have, you may be lucky as the headphone out is a dual output which allows to connect analog headphones/amplifiers as well as a digital, optical Toslink cable. There is a special cable that would allow you to connect then directly to the optical in of Phantom. If your MacBook Pro does not have this dual output you would need a USB DAC with optical out. Regarding the iPhone I am not aware of an device that would be able to have such low power that you could connect via Lightning (there are some USB DAC that use low power, but the ones I know only have analog output).

You could also probably use some streaming options. But I am not sure what exactly Phantom would accept without Dialog. Maybe some other users could step in?

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(20-Jul-2018, 12:03)djhoangwar Wrote: Hi all, I have a Phantom gold and i want connect via cable with macbook pro or iphone for the best quality sounds

Will this Phantom help page help?
Excellent thread !

It  makes me discover that I can enhance my sound quality when I use one of my two Phantom Gold during my stay in a second residence. At home I listen to my music only from cds and vinyls, using optical connexions, but there I use a MacBook with an external hard drive and a wifi connexion. I was not aware of a possibility with that digital to analogic sense (and yet I use a DAC to digitize my vinyls !). Looking on internet, my choice should be : Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus with Toslink HQ Platinum cable.

Thanks for the good advice
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
Well, USB to Toslink just requires a converter, not a DAC, since they’re both digital. It’s just that the functionality is a little tricky to find on its own. The Mutec MC-3 is all digital and often recommended for this purpose, overkill as it may be.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

Edit: I don’t recall seeing this the last time I looked. I think I might just pick one up...

https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/product/cyp-usb-digital-audio-converter-192khz24-bit
(21-Jul-2018, 07:39)Jean-Claude Wrote: Excellent thread !

It  makes me discover that I can enhance my sound quality when I use one of my two Phantom Gold during my stay in a second residence. At home I listen to my music only from cds and vinyls, using optical connexions, but there I use a MacBook with an external hard drive and a wifi connexion. I was not aware of a possibility with that digital to analogic sense (and yet I use a DAC to digitize my vinyls !). Looking on internet, my choice should be : Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus with Toslink HQ Platinum cable.

Thanks for the good advice

See above. If your MacBook supports it (not all models do) you can use a 3.5mm Mini Toslink to Toslink cable. You would not need an USB to Optical converter. You could even find an adapter to a standard Toslink cable. Something like this: https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/s...ni-adaptor

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)