Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappearing 140 Pro Roon Endpoint / Non functioning Airplay
I am trying to get this machine - which promised elegant simplicity - to do something really simple - stream music, but alas, task seems to be too much for the Devialet.

I have a fiber 1000 Mbps into my home, wifi 6 with download speed of 496 Mbps, the Devialet is 10 feet from the wifi base station - the 140 Roon endpoint will play for 10 second maybe 30 on a good day, then disappear. I cannot get it to stream for more than 30 seconds using Airplay.

I don't think I need Devialet Air installed (and in any event cannot get that to load on my Mac without error messages, none of which match Devialet's help topics on the subject).

Is it the case that a $7500 USD machine (140 pro plus pre out board) cannot stream music?

Is there something really easy I am not doing to get the machine to work as advertised?
Try to limit bandwidth to 100 Mbps on the LAN port used by Devialet.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

1. Check this info: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/a...-practices
2. Make sure that Roon is working fine with other audio device.
3. Try Devialet AIR protocol, instead of Roon Ready (Roon RAAT).

Does your problem occurs also when streaming local files?
I used to have similar issues with my Devialet 440.
A couple of things to try:

1. as a test, move the wifi base station closer to the Devialet and run an ethernet cable to from the base station to the devialet (assuming your wifi base station has ethernet ports).
And DISABLE wifi in the devialet configurator if you use ethernet.

This should provide a stable streaming experience. As a counter-test: disable ethernet in the config and stream via wifi, but that is something I have not tried.

2. The 100 Mbps suggestion only refers to an ethernet connection and should only be tried after you have tried suggestion 1 and failed. In some rare cases (even rarer since the last firmware update from Devialet), Roon streaming via ethernet got confused over a 1000 Mbps connection and a fix for that was to put a $20 10/100 Mbps switch between the Devialet and the internet router, essentially providing a choke point.

3. The machine running roon: is that connected to the same lan and also via wifi? can you test connection via ethernet instead there as well?

Here is how I run my environment without a single drop-out, lost connection, etc. for many months now:

- Roon running on a dedicated NUC, connected to a Gigabit switch via ethernet
- Devialet connected to the same Gigabit switch via ethernet
- music stored on a NAS, also connected to the same switch
- Wifi Base station connected to the same switch via ethernet (see a pattern here?)

I control roon (and the devialet) via a variety of devices connected to the same LAN via wifi (Ipad, Laptop, Iphone, etc).

Not a singe drop-out.

Via my wifi Mesh, I can also stream to my home office 2 floors up, where there is another wifi station with ethernet ports, feeding a raspberry Pi4 running ropieee. Streaming DSD256 without a hiccup.
Wifi is wonderful when it works, but a pain in the A$$ when it doesn't, which is why I use ethernet wherever I can.

YMMV
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL
I cant get an ethernet cable from the router to the Devialet as it would traverse my living room and be unsightly

Maybe I will get a cheap Rasberry Pi streamer with a USB or some other out

My Roon Core machine is in a converted garage on same network, have no issues streaming music anywhere else in the house, my Google Cast disc which was $39 works flawlessly, the $8k Devialet not so much
(13-Jun-2021, 19:23)pda Wrote: I cant get an ethernet cable from the router to the Devialet as it would traverse my living room and be unsightly

You can try getting a wifi extender which has ethernet ports, put it close to your Devialet, and connect the Devialet to it via ethernet. I did that for quite a while when I had problems using wifi in my home because of the location of my Devialet relative to that of my router and it worked quite well. You should have no problems with that while using Devialet AIR and Roon but you may run into problems if you try using the Roon Ready connection with RAAT. If so you will probably fix them if you connect an old ethernet switch with one or moor 100T ethernet ports between the wifi extender and the Devialet and connect the Devialet to a 100T port. The extender itself can be connected to a gigabit port. The speed of the connection to the switch doesn't matter, only the speed of the connection to the Devialet.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thank you, my understanding is Air does not work on Mac OSX Big Sur which is the latest Mac OS and running on my main machine
As David A replied, which is very close to how I have my system set up, get a Wifi access point close to where the devialet is and run an ethernet switch off of that into the Devialet and anything else that needs to go on the same network. With this setup, I have been able to use RAAT (Roon Ready input) on the Devialet without a hiccup.
In my second floor home office, the Raspberry Pi is also connected via ethernet to a Wifi Access point.
Essentially: establish rock solid wifi between access points / mesh points and run ethernet cables from the access points to the end devices. I no longer need the 100 Mb switch and everything in my living room is on a GB switch, connected to the wifi base station (Asus ZenWifi wifi 6 mesh)
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL
(13-Jun-2021, 23:27)pda Wrote: Thank you, my understanding is Air does not work on Mac OSX Big Sur which is the latest Mac OS and running on my main machine

There are 2 "versions" or iterations of Devialet's AIR protocol. 

If you aren't using Roon then you have to run the Devialet AIR app on your computer and I suspect it does not work on the current Mac OS.

On the other hand if you're using Roon, and you have said that you are, you don't need to use Devialet's AIR app on your computer and, in fact, you should not use the Devialet app on your computer. Roon has actually incorporated Devialet's AIR code into the Roon software you run on your Mac. Because Roon runs on your Mac, it can use its internal implementation of the AIR protocol and stream to your Devialet using AIR. The Mac incompatibility lies with Devialet's own app. You don't need to use that if you're running Roon on your Mac because Roon does work on the Mac.

Not only do you not have to use the Devialet app if you're using Roon, if you do a search on this forum you will find multiple reports from forum members saying that Roon's internal implementation of the AIR protocol works better and more reliably than Devialet's own app does.

You can use Roon's internal implementation of AIR with both wifi and ethernet connections. Just connect both the computer you're running Roon on and also your Devialet to the same network, connect them via wifi or ethernet, it doesn't matter which one you use, and then you will be able to select your Devialet's AIR streaming input in Roon's Audio settings. Provided both computer and Devialet are connected to the same network it's as easy as falling off a log, a whole lot less painful than falling off a log, and you should definitely not run the Roon app on your Mac, in fact you should actually delete it. Roon is all you need to successfully make an AIR connection over either wifi or ethernet.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia