Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do all STREAMERS sound the same when Streaming direct to Devialet expert
Hi
Maybe I missed a conversation or post related to this subject (if this is the case  I am sorry in advance) 

My Question is 
I am using MAC MINI as ROON core connecting to Tidal and it also my local music repository , I am Streaming the music direct  to Devialet via ethernet rj45.

There are any expected sonic differences between the above configuration vs
Roon Nucleus, DCS network bridge, Primare NP5 Prisma or any other streamers only (that has no integrated  DAC inside)

Thanks
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

(08-Aug-2022, 11:17)windler Wrote: Hi
Maybe I missed a conversation or post related to this subject (if this is the case  I am sorry in advance) 

My Question is 
I am using MAC MINI as ROON core connecting to Tidal and it also my local music repository , I am Streaming the music direct  to Devialet via ethernet rj45.

There are any expected sonic differences between the above configuration vs
Roon Nucleus, DCS network bridge, Primare NP5 Prisma or any other streamers only (that has no integrated  DAC inside)

Thanks
Hi  Windler,
Yes there are, for sure.
I had the same configuration and when I switched to a dedicated streamer the difference was huge and i'm just using a very basic one, I know there are other options that would improve the sound quality a lot.
The DCS would be, in my opinion, a big jump to that purpose.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
you should have a look at the ifi Zen Stream. It gives a much better SQ than the Devialet CI board and is very affordable.
A DDC like an Audio-GD Di20HE should sound even better, either stand-alone or together with the ifi.
Thanks for your answers
I am not using the Devialet CI board I am using Air.
I don't know about Zen, I am planning to check ROON Nucleus first.
Roon Nucleus has Air implemented API as ROON Ready so I will use it directly.
I am not aware of any other streamers that have the same implementation.
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .

Checkout Mike-48 post in the link below
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/d...n.1033852/
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .

I’m also quite curious about the role of the streamers on SQ.
Unfortunately the only tests I’ve run were in the entry level bracket:
- MacBook Pro into Expert via USB
- MacBook Pro with Roon into Expert via Ethernet
- Bluesound Node 2i into Expert via coaxial

From the 3 configurations of above, the difference was zero. I then opted for the Node since keeping my laptop out of the equation was an important commodity.

Streamers and server/streamers differ for build features such as power supplies, rejection from network and electrical noise and clock. How easy or affordable is to optimize these elements is not of my knowledge, yet I would be curious to test how impactful these things are to my ears. In particular, how clock optimization can play a role if the communication streamer-Expert went via asynchronous USB.

If differences in SQ, to me, were detectable only in very controlled situations and at the level of micro-nuances, I’d only change streamer once someone released a software that, similarly to Roon, were able to browse library and all the streaming services as a single catalogue (massive commodity), but also including Amazon Music Unlimited.
(08-Aug-2022, 16:14)windler Wrote: I don't know about Zen, I am planning to check ROON Nucleus first.
Roon Nucleus has Air implemented API  as ROON Ready so I will use it directly.
I am not aware of any other streamers that have the same implementation.
You are currently using Roon Core on Mac Mini, and I assume Mac Mini and Devialet are connected to an Ethernet RJ45 switch, is this correct?

IMO changing to a Roon Nucleus will not significantly change the sound quality, if you keep the same network configuration and use the Nucleus as the Roon Core and stream directly to the Devialet's AIR/RAAT receiver.

Using specialized streaming endpoint or "Roon Bridge" like the Zen Stream will change and could improve the sound. In this configuration, the Zen Stream connects to the Devialet using USB or Coax/AES inputs and acts as the Roon RAAT receiver on the network.

Comparing the Roon Nucleus with the Zen Stream, my friend was using a Roon Nucleus connected over USB to a DDC (Singxer SU-6), feeding his DAC. He later replaced the Nucleus with a Zen Stream acting as Roon Bridge, connected to DDC and then to DAC. This sounded better than the Roon Nucleus acting as Roon Core and directly connected to the DAC.

Remember that the Roon Nucleus is basically an Intel NUC motherboard running custom firmware with a CPU and SSD powerful enough to run the Roon Core software and library. Compared to a Zen Stream or OpticalRendu which is built to act only as the "Roon Bridge" connected to the DAC, and as such is designed to minimize electrical noise and improve clock jitter performance.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC