Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropout with Devialet AIR/TIDAL at Max
Took me a long time to finally get Devialet AIR working with my Expert Pro 1000.  Had to go into the firewall to tell it to allow the Devialet AIR to pass data.

TIDAL Streaming works pretty well with the quality set to HIGH.  However, when set to MAX, some dropouts occur when the sampling frequency exceeds 48KHz.  The router is a 5GHz, so no worries there.  FOOBAR passes 192 KHz with no issues from the same computer.  

So, why the dropouts at MAX setting?  Is this a limitation of Devialet AIR?  

I tried the USB connection with TIDAL, and whilst it will pass the MAX data without dropouts, it sounds a bit veiled compared to the streaming.  That puzzles me as well.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
Devialet Air never really works for me, I use a DDC (digital convertor) and use the USB functionality.

When it comes to USB, the USB cable matters the most, almost more important than your speaker cables. What USB cable are you using?
A Chord USB cable.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
Are you using a 10/100 network cable? If you're using a cable that is.
Gigaherz cables were giving dropouts in my setup. The problem was solved when using a 10/100 cable.
Never got AIR working over WiFi without dropouts. Gave up a long time ago.
Especially since it sounded much less airy and transparent then over a network cable.
(I'm not using a Pro though. I'm still on a vintage Expert 200.)
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(29-Aug-2023, 21:30)Redwingnine Wrote: A Chord USB cable.

If you mean ChordMusic USB, all I can say is it is a very expensive USB. I haven't used it myself but it is not very common choice either, so no other reviews. Have you compared it to other USB cables?

For USB, different cables differ a lot in sound, all I can suggest is to try around to see if there is any particular ones that fit your system better. Personally, I use Phasure Lush^3, which I compared and find it beating all other USB cables I have.
(30-Aug-2023, 08:11)Cylob Wrote: Are you using a 10/100 network cable? If you're using a cable that is.
Gigaherz cables were giving dropouts in my setup. The problem was solved when using a 10/100 cable.
Especially since it sounded much less airy and transparent then over a network cable.

I am using non-CI Expert 400 as well, which is essentially two Expert 200. What do you mean sound via network cable? you mean AIR over network cable?

If so, try adding a DDC and connect via coaxial or AES, that is miles better than AIR.
(30-Aug-2023, 08:28)ray1234 Wrote:
(30-Aug-2023, 08:11)Cylob Wrote: Are you using a 10/100 network cable? If you're using a cable that is.

I am using non-CI Expert 400 as well, which is essentially two Expert 200. What do you mean sound via network cable? you mean AIR over network cable?

If so, try adding a DDC and connect via coaxial or AES, that is miles better than AIR.

Me, and most others as I know of, never got a stable AIR connection through WiFi.
The only way we got it working was over a network cable, a 10/100 cable even.

[Image: Untitled.jpg]
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Sorry to side track .......

Hi Cylob, I see from your signature that you are still using Magnepan 1.7i, correct?

I was interested in Magnepan speakers as well and I actually brought over my Expert 400 to drive a 1.7i. The result was ok, it was warm sounding but I never get the real Magnepan effects when driven with a powerful amp like Music Culture MC811 mono block. The soundstage was not entirely 'floating', I still hear good transparent vocals, but not with the full soundstage width and depth that 1.7i is capable of.

I ended up pairing my Expert 400 with Focal Kanta 2, which offers transparency close to Magnepans. How do you resolve the driving issues with 1.7i?