Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Dialogue
I have phantom in two rooms.
Unfortunately I am unable to get ethernet to phantom in the second room. Powerline is also not able to connect. It is always connected with WIFI but connection is terrible. Sometimes it doesn't play for a few minutes with pause every few seconds. 

Does anyone know if I can use a second dialogue - connect it to ethernet on my second room which then connects to second set of phantom essentially extending my network? 

Is it one dialogue per spark app? Has anyone experimented with second dialogue on same network?
(12-May-2016, 14:34)littlekid440 Wrote: I have phantom in two rooms.
Unfortunately I am unable to get ethernet to phantom in the second room. Powerline is also not able to connect. It is always connected with WIFI but connection is terrible. Sometimes it doesn't play for a few minutes with pause every few seconds. 

Does anyone know if I can use a second dialogue - connect it to ethernet on my second room which then connects to second set of phantom essentially extending my network? 

Is it one dialogue per spark app? Has anyone experimented with second dialogue on same network?

If you can get ethernet to the second room, don't you just need a wireless access point in that room, to make sure the wifi connection is reliable?
(12-May-2016, 16:00)blackarrow Wrote: If you can get ethernet to the second room, don't you just need a wireless access point in that room, to make sure the wifi connection is reliable?

no because from what I understand - Phantom does not connect to your WiFi network but to the network Dialog broadcasts (ssid begins with DialogNetwork--------- )

After the initial setup Dialog and Phantom run independent from your internal network except when using Spark and software update.

However this is not the case when using ethernet. It is the only time Dialog uses your existing network settings to communicate with Phantom.
If you can get ethernet close to Phantom then maybe you can use the ethernet plug to the Phantom ? I never tested it but I guess it should work.
(12-May-2016, 18:21)lk94 Wrote: If you can get ethernet close to Phantom then maybe you can use the ethernet plug to the Phantom ? I never tested it but I guess it should work.

oh yea that will definitely work but I will be wall mounting Phantom and ethernet outlet is on the other side of the room. Also would like to hide all wires. Without a big renovation project I don't see how I can do this. Possibly my own ethernet over powerline to both Phantom to extend ethernet but it just gets messy in terms of unnecessary equipment.

If multiple Dialog are able to extend the network and function with the spark app as one then my problem wouldn't be such a big deal. Anyone have experience with dual dialog setup?
(12-May-2016, 19:17)littlekid440 Wrote:
(12-May-2016, 18:21)lk94 Wrote: If you can get ethernet close to Phantom then maybe you can use the ethernet plug to the Phantom ? I never tested it but I guess it should work.

oh yea that will definitely work but I will be wall mounting Phantom and ethernet outlet is on the other side of the room. Also would like to hide all wires. Without a big renovation project I don't see how I can do this. Possibly my own ethernet over powerline to both Phantom to extend ethernet but it just gets messy in terms of unnecessary equipment.

If multiple Dialog are able to extend the network and function with the spark app as one then my problem wouldn't be such a big deal. Anyone have experience with dual dialog setup?

Ask devialet by mail
So the official response from Devialet is to use another Dialog and use Apple airport express for a second network in the second room. They also said changing network is no big deal and just takes seconds. Kinda disappointed for a multi room - whole house system this defeats the purpose.
Hopefully one day they do software update to allow multiple Dialog to extend network. With their solution I can't share same music source and have all Phantom sync audio. Of course loosing optical input being able to be shared thought the house. I will experiment with power line to phantom to extend network and other method until then.
(19-May-2016, 20:02)littlekid440 Wrote: So the official response from Devialet is to use another Dialog and use Apple airport express for a second network in the second room. They also said changing network is no big deal and just takes seconds. Kinda disappointed for a multi room - whole house system this defeats the purpose.

I used to have an all Apple wifi setup across the whole house. I really would suggest you avoid their kit if WiFi signal strength is a concern, especially the Airport Express which has very weak signal strength.

Try a Ubiquiti Unifi Long Range access point. It's designed to penetrate through long distances and might resolve your issue without resorting to another Dialog which to be honest seems like it could be a bloody nightmare considering how hard it is to get Spark + 1 Dialog reliably working.

Another alternative is to just run an Ethernet cable on the outside of the building just like you would an aerial or phone cable. You can get external grade cable which is as thin as a typical networking lead (UV safe plastic on the outside of the cable basically). Comes in black should be pretty invisible if you clip it neatly.
Quote:I used to have an all Apple wifi setup across the whole house. I really would suggest you avoid their kit if WiFi signal strength is a concern, especially the Airport Express which has very weak signal strength.

Try a Ubiquiti Unifi Long Range access point. It's designed to penetrate through long distances and might resolve your issue without resorting to another Dialog which to be honest seems like it could be a bloody nightmare considering how hard it is to get Spark + 1 Dialog reliably working.

Another alternative is to just run an Ethernet cable on the outside of the building just like you would an aerial or phone cable. You can get external grade cable which is as thin as a typical networking lead (UV safe plastic on the outside of the cable basically). Comes in black should be pretty invisible if you clip it neatly.

I actually use all Ubiquiti product for my home network their stuff is amazing. 
The problem is Phantom does not use your existing wifi signal to connect to Phantom - Dialog broadcast it's own wifi signal and that's the only wifi Phantom is able to connect to. Without having password to that it's impossible to extend it. Yea running ethernet would be ideal but let's see how power line to extend network goes. It's coming in on Monday. Big Grin
(22-May-2016, 14:14)littlekid440 Wrote: I actually use all Ubiquiti product for my home network their stuff is amazing. 

Big Grin

(22-May-2016, 14:14)littlekid440 Wrote: The problem is Phantom does not use your existing wifi signal to connect to Phantom - Dialog broadcast it's own wifi signal and that's the only wifi Phantom is able to connect to. Without having password to that it's impossible to extend it.

Wow, did not know that. Devialet really seem to be going all in on the Phantom and ensuring it doesn't work with anything 3rd party.

Best of luck, let us know how it works out and what power line kit you found worked for you.