Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Network Possible?
(19-Apr-2015, 08:01)Confused Wrote: Can you get a router that does not include wifi? If I was to implement such a dual router system, I would only want wifi on one router, the hifi side of the network is hard wired Ethernet. I guess a router where the wifi could be switched off would also be ok, or if necessary I guess you could modify a standard wifi equipped unit?

There are weird routers but you may opt for a WiFi router and disable its WiFi radio and used its weird interface only. This way in the future if you add a component that needs WiFi you can always re-enable the WiFi radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
We have a single broadband line coming into our house and would like to ensure optimum performance or two different applications running simultaneously: a) streaming video on demand (Amazon Instant Prime) to two TVs; and b) streaming on-line music services (+files from NAS) to the hi-fi.  Connections have to be wi-fi not wired.

Is the best solution to run two separate wi-fi routers somehow connected to a single modem or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-Apr-2015, 13:39)PhilP Wrote: We have a single broadband line coming into our house and would like to ensure optimum performance or two different applications running simultaneously: a) streaming video on demand (Amazon Instant Prime) to two TVs; and b) streaming on-line music services (+files from NAS) to the hi-fi.  Connections have to be wi-fi not wired.

Is the best solution to run two separate wi-fi routers somehow connected to a single modem or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.

Chances are your broadband network provider won't allow connecting two routers to the modem (a firm of subscription restriction)

So you well have to do nesting. A network within a network.

You will need to do some reading and this link will help you get started

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/680...e-two.html

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(19-Apr-2015, 14:48)amabrok Wrote: I
(19-Apr-2015, 13:39)PhilP Wrote: We have a single broadband line coming into our house and would like to ensure optimum performance or two different applications running simultaneously: a) streaming video on demand (Amazon Instant Prime) to two TVs; and b) streaming on-line music services (+files from NAS) to the hi-fi.  Connections have to be wi-fi not wired.

Thanks.

Chances are your broadband network provider won't allow connecting two routers to the modem (a firm of subscription restriction)

So you  well have to do nesting. A network within a network.

You will need to do some reading and  this link will help you get started

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/680...e-two.html

Ok, thanks. I will take a look at this after the GP Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
if you want to create a network between your dev and a source then dont worry about dual routers.

It does take some learning but create a second subnet on your router and connect the dev and mac on a dedicated switch.

for instance if your current home network is 192.168.1.1 then the second subnet will be 192.168.2.1 which only your mac mini and devialet exist on.

the mac mini would be 192.168.2.1 and the dev 192.168.2.2.

if you create the second subnet with a gateway to your router it will still have access to the internet but no other devices on your network will be able to see or communicate with the devialet which means that the dedicated switch wont have any traffic going through it except the traffic from the mac and dev.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
For now, my setup is working fine and no white noises occurring for the last couple of days. So, I will stick with it for the time being. Just enjoying my D200 with beautiful music and sound.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

It would be great to have a guide to setting this up. I had been running Ethernet AIR direct on a second subnet, but it created havoc when I added Sonos to my main network. I probably had something misconfigured, given that I'm no network engineer. And now that I'm using Ethernet AIR through my access point, I'm getting choppy noise during long listening sessions. Sigh.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(27-Apr-2015, 17:57)flohmann Wrote: It would be great to have a guide to setting this up. I had been running Ethernet AIR direct on a second subnet, but it created havoc when I added Sonos to my main network. I probably had something misconfigured, given that I'm no network engineer. And now that I'm using Ethernet AIR through my access point, I'm getting choppy noise during long listening sessions. Sigh.

can you explain how it created havoc when you added sonos?

if we know what is happening there could be a solution.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)