Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma
According to Devialet specifications, the only input that supports 32-bit audio signal is USB.

In the case of dual-mono / multi-mono configurations, the audio signal is transmitted from one unit to another using inputs other than USB, meaning through inputs that support at most 24-bit.

If a 32-bit audio signal reaches the master unit of a dual-mono / multi-mono configuration, then what kind of audio signal will the companion units receive? Will they receive the converted 24-bit audio signal? That would be something undesirable, obviously...

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I was unable to find it, using the limited documentation I have access to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

To be brief, I don't know the answer.

Speculating: if the link is standard S-P/DIF or AES3, it's probably limited to 24 bits, isn't it? I guess that's likely as Devialet probably uses standard devices to convert between serial and PCM.

If not, perhaps the data sent from the master to the companion could be in the internal audio format the Expert uses (that is, the format to which all inputs are converted before DSP)? I vaguely recall this is 40-bit floating-point, but don't quote me on that.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I also thought about the version in which it is transmitted in the internal format, but I don't think this happens. Here's why:
Internal format specifications far exceed the specifications of all audio inputs.
I have a custom configuration, consisting of master chained units (I do not have units defined as a companion). From master 2 onwards, they all receive a companion signal. I saw that it has the correct sample rate (44.1, 48 ... 192 kHz), identical to the one received by master 1. I can see this on the Devialet display.
However, I can't see bith depth (16 or 24 or 32).
(04-Jun-2022, 17:17)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: I also thought about the version in which it is transmitted in the internal format, but I don't think this happens. Here's why:
Internal format specifications far exceed the specifications of all audio inputs.
I have a custom configuration, consisting of master chained units (I do not have units defined as a companion). From master 2 onwards, they all receive a companion signal. I saw that it has the correct sample rate (44.1, 48 ... 192 kHz), identical to the one received by master 1. I can see this on the Devialet display.
However, I can't see bith depth (16 or 24 or 32).

Good question.  Have you contacted Devialet technical support?
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
This might be a crazy thought but give it a go and see; play something 32 bit, set the amps to mono (balance mode does it automatically) and hear whether there’s a noticeable difference between left and right.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Jun-2022, 01:01)Redwingnine Wrote: Good question.  Have you contacted Devialet technical support?

Yes, I sent the question to Devialet technical support today.
@daniel.avasilichioaei "I have a custom configuration, consisting of master chained units (I do not have units defined as a companion). From master 2 onwards, they all receive a companion signal. "
What does that mean? How are they connected then? And why is this better? Also, what do you mean by "master 2 onwards, they all receive a companion signal." What is the "all"?
In one word, I totally don't understand your configuration, can you perhaps elaborate?
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
I received the answer from the Devialet Support Team. Bad news...
"There is a 32bits to 24bits conversion occurring in the product, on the master's amplifier."

This means that using 32-bit USB audio input is somewhat compromised.
From what I saw, this also happens when using DSD files: they are converted to PCM, and between master and companion is sent PCM (not DSD).
With 130dB os SNR (133 dB for a dual mono) you “only get” around 21 or 22 bits of useable dynamics.

And the PCM DAC is inherently part of the ADH amplifier itself.

Therefore, provided it is done correctly, you are not loosing anything by having an intermediate stage at 24 bits.

And as an interesting exercise, try building an alternative setup exhibiting such a high SNR, you might be surprised how difficult it is.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Exactly. I don't see any benefit / usage of 32-bit depth.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7