Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition
You guys think you have problems with your wife; Mine wants Vivid G1's but I can't afford them...
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
There are plenty of people who can give better advice than I wrt computer audio, but don't be surprised to hear differences in sound quality between recordings on a high quality setup like yours.
There is a vast difference between both the competence and the taste of recording engineers. Microphone choice and placement, followed by how the sound is mixed varies hugely and makes a big difference to the sq of a release.

HiFi enthusiasts often debate whether high res sounds better than CD, and there are still plenty of LP lovers, but IME the quality of the original recording makes a far bigger difference than the medium we listen on.
I have absolutely fantastic sounding CDs and some real dogs. I have some lovely sounding LPs but plenty of poor ones, and I have high res files who's sound quality is nothing special.

So hearing a difference in SQ in different recordings is not a fault in your equipment but the inevitable result of it being revealing.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Jul-2015, 21:58)f1eng Wrote: There are plenty of people who can give better advice than I wrt computer audio, but don't be surprised to hear differences in sound quality between recordings on a high quality setup like yours.
There is a vast difference between both the competence and the taste of recording engineers. Microphone choice and placement, followed by how the sound is mixed varies hugely and makes a big difference to the sq of a release.

HiFi enthusiasts often debate whether high res sounds better than CD, and there are still plenty of LP lovers, but IME the quality of the original recording makes a far bigger difference than the medium we listen on.
I have absolutely fantastic sounding CDs and some real dogs. I have some lovely sounding LPs but plenty of poor ones, and I have high res files who's sound quality is nothing special.

So hearing a difference in SQ in different recordings is not a fault in your equipment but the inevitable result of it being revealing.

Very true!  Very often, I find some poorly recorded material actually sounds better in the car than on the more revealing system at home.  Although I had an odd experience last week, I listened to something in the car that was clearly a poor recording.  Out of interest, I had a listen to the same track at home. It was still obviously a poor recording, but actually far more enjoyable to listen to! which surprised me a bit.

I think this kind of stuff can send you bonkers, so I take the view that you should spend some time setting your system up and making sure you're happy with everything, but once done, have peace of mind, forget about it and enjoy some tunes.
(02-Jul-2015, 21:39)Pim van Vliet Wrote: You guys think you have problems with your wife; Mine wants Vivid G1's but I can't afford them...

see you think thats a problem but really its a blessing in disguise!

i like my vivids i think they are great, but the G range looks like sperm with a little curly tail at the top from the side. if your wife wants those theres almost nothing that you cant get in your system due to WAF!

shame she gon send you broke though lol she couldnt have like the G4's more?? they are so lil and cute
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I am beginning to worry that this is an equally dangerous sport/ hobby as my former one! ...and I got rid of that precisely because it was a wallet killer, her-in-doors was perpetually fretting about my safety, & thought I was a lunatic building and then driving & tracking (silverstone) something that was over 700bhp per tonne, and could scare most superbikes..at 65 years young!

This, initially benign-looking hobby, looks to be in a bracket that is financially even more scary, and has the potential to bring out the rotweiller tendencies in my good wife.... so in a way, I am equally at risk!

How very damn you guys..... I took a look at those Vivids, lapped up the amazing reviews, then almost feinted when I found out how much they cost!

This is pure unadulterated torture! You know that?
Angry Rolleyes
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
teddlesdee if i could afford a pair of vivid G1's id be such a happy man.

at the moment im "making do" with my B1's.

theres a dealer in my city who in his showroom has 1 of each model on display all powered by devialet amps. i dont even know what expensive sources they have in there as well
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(03-Jul-2015, 09:27)teddlesdee Wrote: I am beginning to worry that this is an equally dangerous sport/ hobby as my former one! ...and I got rid of that precisely because it was a wallet killer, her-in-doors was perpetually fretting about my safety, & thought I was a lunatic building and then driving & tracking (silverstone) something that was over 700bhp per tonne, and could scare most superbikes..at 65 years young!

This, initially benign-looking hobby, looks to be in a bracket that is financially even more scary, and has the potential to bring out the rotweiller tendencies in my good wife.... so in a way, I am equally at risk!

How very damn you guys..... I took a look at those Vivids, lapped up the amazing reviews, then almost feinted when I found out how much they cost!

This is pure unadulterated torture! You know that?
Angry  Rolleyes

You could buy a pair KEF Blades (or Blade 2), and glue a curly thing on top, would save you a mint!  They sound good with the Dev too!
i hope you arent suggesting that the curly thing is just for looks confused or putting them in the same realm? them be fighting words.
(02-Jul-2015, 22:23)completeluxury Wrote:
(02-Jul-2015, 21:39)Pim van Vliet Wrote: You guys think you have problems with your wife; Mine wants Vivid G1's but I can't afford them...

see you think thats a problem but really its a blessing in disguise!

i like my vivids i think they are great, but the G range looks like sperm with a little curly tail at the top from the side. if your wife wants those theres almost nothing that you cant get in your system due to WAF!

shame she gon send you broke though lol she couldnt have like the G4's more?? they are so lil and cute

I would try that but apparently size does matter...who would have thought. Anyway, a Dev 800 and a pair of G1's and I would be the happiest broke person on the planet.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
ive never trusted a woman who says otherwise!

im broke just trying to finish up my computer source for my demo room

im single so i dont have to worry about WAF. i work so much that i live at home with my parents though makes life easier for me. The house is my "demo house" for everything that i do. They dont have a choice with what goes in places i just kinda.. do it.