Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest way to get radio into Devialet?
(07-Feb-2016, 18:37)DelaneyB Wrote: If you're an iPad user, the Airport express is the way to go rather than chromecast.

I was just about to put the Chromecast order through..... So, can't you control the Chromecast from an iPad? That would be a deal breaker.

Actually it looks like you can run TuneIn on the iPad, which covers most stations I want to use. Surely that would work?
Or do I really need to stream to it from my headless Mac mini rather than the iPad? Can the TuneIn ap control that?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ordered one anyway. For £30 you can't go wrong really, I'm sure I'd find a use for it for something.

Shame it doesn't come with a toslink cable, am sure I can find a cheap one online somewhere.
(£4.99 for a 1.5m Amazon prime in fact).

Will report back once they arrive, and let you know whether I'm listening to radio, or faffing trying to get it to work....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-Feb-2016, 21:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 18:37)DelaneyB Wrote: If you're an iPad user, the Airport express is the way to go rather than chromecast.

I was just about to put the Chromecast order through..... So, can't you control the Chromecast from an iPad? That would be a deal breaker.

Actually it looks like you can run TuneIn on the iPad, which covers most stations I want to use. Surely that would work?
Or do I really need to stream to it from my headless Mac mini rather than the iPad? Can the TuneIn ap control that?

Yes, you can control a Chrromecast Audio from an iPad. The nice thing about the Chromecast is that the music streams direct from the source to your Devialet the iPad is only for control so once youve started streaming you can turn the iPad off.

If you use just the TuneIn app the music is steaming through the iPad draining the battery etc.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(07-Feb-2016, 22:53)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 21:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Yes, you can control a Chrromecast Audio from an iPad. The nice thing about the Chromecast is that the music streams direct from the source to your Devialet the iPad is only for control so once youve started streaming you can turn the iPad off.

If you use just the TuneIn app the music is steaming through the iPad draining the battery etc.

Thanks PhilP,

So, the former sounds ideal - but I'm not sure I follow what application I'd be using with the Chromecast? Or does it have its own radio application and iPad remote?

Apologies if this sounds dense! I've only just started reading about it.

(07-Feb-2016, 23:07)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 22:53)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 21:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I was just about to put the Chromecast order through..... So, can't you control the Chromecast from an iPad? That would be a deal breaker.

Thanks PhilP,

So, the former sounds ideal - but I'm not sure I follow what application I'd be using with the Chromecast? Or does it have its own radio application and iPad remote?

Apologies if this sounds dense! I've only just started reading about it.

You just need to install the Chromecast app on your iPad and download the music app of your choice. There's a list of compatible apps on the Chromecast site.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/apps/

Open the music app e.g. TuneIn (I use Qobuz - works perfectly, they also support Spotify, Deezer etc) play some music, touch the 'cast' icon and music will stream to yur Devialet.

By the way, you will need a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable to connect the Chromecast to the Devialet.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
OK thanks. I think I'm getting it now - the apps don't stream to it directly, but tell it to grab what it needs from the internet.

Looks like I might have something to test my Chinese 5v USB LPS from eBay on after all. Overkill I know, but I've got to test it on something and the Pi is awaiting RoonSpeakers. Wink

Thanks for the toslink tip - I think I ordered the right one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KN...ge_o00_s00

(07-Feb-2016, 23:44)Hifi_swlon Wrote: OK thanks. I think I'm getting it now - the apps don't stream to it directly, but tell it to grab what it needs from the internet.

Looks like I might have something to test my Chinese 5v USB LPS from eBay on after all. Overkill I know, but I've got to test it on something and the Pi is awaiting RoonSpeakers. Wink

Yes, I think that cable should be fine. I think it makes sense to try a cheap cable, see if you like the way the Chromecast works and then maybe try a more expensive one later - lower jitter etc.

I will be very interested to find out whether the LPS makes a difference - it may well do.
(07-Feb-2016, 23:52)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 23:44)Hifi_swlon Wrote: OK thanks. I think I'm getting it now - the apps don't stream to it directly, but tell it to grab what it needs from the internet.

Yes, I think that cable should be fine. I think it makes sense to try a cheap cable, see if you like the way the Chromecast works and then maybe try a more expensive one later - lower jitter etc.

I will be very interested to find out whether the LPS makes a difference - it may well do.

Will report back on the LPS. I've had it for a few weeks and not powered it up yet so hopefully it works. I'm sure the eBay seller will be glad of his feedback too Wink

Should have the Chromecast and cable by Friday if all goes well.

I would add that I could not get TuneIn radio to work with Chromecast, but found one called Orange Radio that works very well.
I know you have had AIR issues but have you tried radio using AIR.?
As you know I had major issues with. AIR, but never when listening to radio. I will add that it was maybe on,y for a couple of hours at a time. I presumed it was because it was mainly at a lower bit rate
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England