Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge of the Art - Whats Best: CDP, Server or Streaming
So I'm Curious.  As someone who is still wed to the SP/DIF of my Esoteric UX-1.
Does the best digital reproduction lie in state of the art disc player-DACs; Servers; or Streaming?

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
computer audio is evolving at an extremely fast pace.

with a bit of knowledge you can make an amazing source for both local and streamed content!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
My opinion may be controversial on a hifi forum but it is that the difference in quality in the various recordings we play is often, almost always, way, way more than the difference between the various inputs you mention.
I get superb results from well recorded CDs and awful results from nasty loudness wars CDs.
I don't subscribe to a streaming service but I slightly prefer my CD transport to ripped CDs.
Higher resolution than 16/44 is a waste of money IME, so I have stopped buying any. FWIW.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

f1eng - you're absolutely right of course about the quality of material & it's the single most important thing IMHO. Poorly mastered music can never sound good.
I get the impression that consensus is CD players still have the edge but it's a very close thing. I love the convenience of streaming personally.
I just set up an RPI with LMS and Squeezeplug for a seriously picky friend with valve amps and home made KL3 kit speakers he has seriously tweaked and he is absolutely convinced the streaming is better than any DC player he has heard before.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I use both an Esoteric K-01x and Macbook air for streaming and enjoy both, but the benefit of the actual disc (both red book and SACD) does have it's appeal
I haven't played a cd since I got my Aurender X100 server. I used to have PSAudio PWT and various Meridian players. Honestly, I cannot hear a difference in sound. Never tought I would give up cd players because I have a lot (around 2000) but the convenience of streaming made it for me (and the stability of the Aurender app). I'm in the looong process of ripping all my cds and by doing so rediscovering some hidden gems I had in my collection.

I have pretty much the same opinion as F1eng for HiRes. I have some 24/192, they sound good but I also have 16/44 that sound fantastic like ECM, ACT labels for jazz.
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

What's a CD player? Oh wait, I remember it's that mechanical device in which one inserts those little silver discs to enjoy up to around 74 minutes of audio. After that or if you would like to hear something else you would have to stand up, remove the disc and insert an other one. Wink Big Grin

And on a more serious note: I feel that streaming audio/music servers MAY have reached the SQ level of CD players/transport or even surpassed it several years ago. Of course I haven't heard all top notch CD players/transports. The best I have owned myself was a North Star T192 CD transport (AES/EBU into D-Premier) and I know that at least that was inferior to AIR. I now use a heavily optimized DIY music server (USB into D250) and that again surpasses AIR (with a large margin).

Of course the North Star ($3000) was probably nowhere near the Esoteric UX-1 level. Smile

Like Yippedidou I could never go back to spinning discs because of the convenience.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Streaming is OK for pop music, frustratingly inconvenient for classical. I listen to 80% classical and gave up trying to rip them in some even remotely convenient way so I could listen to them as I wish.
With a CD I put it in and play it. Sometimes I have to get up and put the second CD in the player. Since I only walk 8km per day this is probably just as well!

The classical CDs I have ripped and tagged so they play in a sensible order I still stream. Life is too short, and software too shite, to tag any more Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Jun-2015, 12:25)Yippedidou Wrote: I haven't played a cd since I got my Aurender X100 server. I used to have PSAudio PWT and various Meridian players. Honestly, I cannot hear a difference in sound. Never tought I would give up cd players because I have a lot (around 2000) but the convenience of streaming made it for me (and the stability of the Aurender app). I'm in the looong process of ripping all my cds and by doing so rediscovering some hidden gems I had in my collection.

Same here. My experience with Aurender was a game changer. I rarely use any other source. It gives the SQ and convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE