Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embarassed to admit...
(28-Jul-2019, 23:58)awkaplan Wrote: So I was getting bored with my prior setup (Expert Pro 140; Dynaudio Special Forty).  Shunyata Sigma all around made the sound very compelling, but the speakers just weren't doing it for me.  

The dealer in Dubai that sold me the 140 was also selling Klipsch, which I found strange at the time.  All signs said "no," but while the 140 was out for repair (front button, cosmetic issues on outside, binding posts, turned out to need a more substantial overhaul but never received a reason), I decided to pick up a set of Heresy III.  Out of the box, they surprised me, a little less polite than the other speakers I had been considering, but wanted to be a bit more conservative with my budget. 

I had a PS Audio amp and preamp/DAC as well as a Sonos AMP that I was toying with, seeing what type of performance I could eke out of it.  Listenable, fatiguing a bit, but also compelling. 

140 is back quickly, and I couldn't prep SAM quickly enough; I just plugged everything in with the Delta EF mains and Alpha SC and a long run of Wireworld Chroma CAT8.  Even without isolation, without SAM, I was impressed with what I heard, noting that some tracks really fell short and others were more engaging.

They were on probation until I put a set of Aperta 300s underneath the Heresy III.  Insane.  I had some inexpensive isolators under the feet prior, but this time removed the bottom wedges from the Heresy III and placed each speaker atop one of the 300s.  Game changers; this speaker had been hyperactive with the room prior.  They are playing clean, tight, and I'm satisfied.  I'm very happy with the current setup.  Poor taste?  Sure.  But I'm sure I'll have them for at least the next six months.  Still in shock.  Anyone else running something similar to this?

Those speakers make for a great party. You do not miss al details that the Dynaudio gave you?
(21-Oct-2019, 15:47)bdg Wrote: can you show a picture of how it looks on top of the aperta 100? thanks.

Am using a board between Phantom and Aperta 100. Otherwise, it sits awkwardly in middle and cannot get same angle between left and right.
(21-Oct-2019, 19:42)Stino Wrote:
(28-Jul-2019, 23:58)awkaplan Wrote: So I was getting bored with my prior setup (Expert Pro 140; Dynaudio Special Forty).  Shunyata Sigma all around made the sound very compelling, but the speakers just weren't doing it for me.  

The dealer in Dubai that sold me the 140 was also selling Klipsch, which I found strange at the time.  All signs said "no," but while the 140 was out for repair (front button, cosmetic issues on outside, binding posts, turned out to need a more substantial overhaul but never received a reason), I decided to pick up a set of Heresy III.  Out of the box, they surprised me, a little less polite than the other speakers I had been considering, but wanted to be a bit more conservative with my budget. 

I had a PS Audio amp and preamp/DAC as well as a Sonos AMP that I was toying with, seeing what type of performance I could eke out of it.  Listenable, fatiguing a bit, but also compelling. 

140 is back quickly, and I couldn't prep SAM quickly enough; I just plugged everything in with the Delta EF mains and Alpha SC and a long run of Wireworld Chroma CAT8.  Even without isolation, without SAM, I was impressed with what I heard, noting that some tracks really fell short and others were more engaging.

They were on probation until I put a set of Aperta 300s underneath the Heresy III.  Insane.  I had some inexpensive isolators under the feet prior, but this time removed the bottom wedges from the Heresy III and placed each speaker atop one of the 300s.  Game changers; this speaker had been hyperactive with the room prior.  They are playing clean, tight, and I'm satisfied.  I'm very happy with the current setup.  Poor taste?  Sure.  But I'm sure I'll have them for at least the next six months.  Still in shock.  Anyone else running something similar to this?

Those speakers make for a great party. You do not miss al details that the Dynaudio gave you?

There's no honk, and the Heresy IIIs are hyperactive AND hyperarticulate.  I did just order a set of Evoke 10s!