Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enable serial over IP
I would like to control the Devialet from a PC. Devialet has an RS232 port to allow this, but this requires additional cabling and a bit of hardware.

Please develop a little command line tool that allows to send a serial command (eg. Wake up, sleep) over IP. The basic code exists both on the server and client side : RS232 support exists in the Devialet, and the commands are implemented in the apps.

My goal is to create a predictable A/V environment for my wife and kid. For me A/V is hobby, they want to look TV or listen to music.

Some examples in random order :
- Integration with OpenRemote : a free home control software
- Scheduled wake up events when I plan listening sessions so the Devialet can warm up.
- Wake up the Devialet and select the Ethernet input when the music server is started. Select line in 1 when the music server is powered off. The boot time of the server is about 35 sec from a power off state so we shut the machine down when it is not in use.
- Give a power off signal when we go to sleep or leave the house. The default sleep mode kicks in to quick for my taste so I increased the time-out period. With the money I save, I'll buy a mono config in about 4000 years Smile

For those who are afraid of more 'pollution' in the data stream : one could use the wifi IP address to control the box, and use the Ethernet port for the music stream. But believe me : the few control packets will make no difference compared to the network noise that the Devialet generates.