Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etalon ethernet isolator.
We'd need to ask Etalon. We do know they employ some sort of passive filtering before and after the pulse transformers. It's possible they employ higher quality pulse transformers than standard.

There's no measurements so it's impossible to compare the performance of this device (other than listening tests of course) to an industrial/medical ethernet isolator like the Baaske isolators or those of EMO Systems. (these brands do provide datasheets with measurements)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Today I listened to a very performant setup
Mastersound 845 amp 8000€
Etalon solo nap Dac 7000€
Quat Rs3 renderer.
Zu mk IV speakers 8000 €

I just can tell you that the Etalon DAC is awesome
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
I tried last night the ISOLATOR on the Moon which is plugged to D400 through AES (Esprit Celesta cable - 350 euros).
The volume was low - 50 DB since it was late but I could hear a better definition (Serve Right to Suffer by John Lee Hooker and Heaven from the Rolling Stones). I have to try again at regular volume (- 40 DB is enough to judge).
This morning I tried with AIR 3 (ETHERNET). A clearly better sound !
I listened to Melanie De Biaso and Cecile Mc Lorin. Better definition AND more impact in music (and this with cheap ethernet cables at 3 euros).

I continue tests with different musics and with better cables during this day but I think the Isolator is a keeper.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
I must be going crazy: last night I ordered one of these things!

Not really sure why. Confused I think I was reading one of the French audio forums and people were really raving about it saying it beat the optical bridge approach.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
That would be very useful in front of an Expert or Pro ethernet port if you want to clean up and isolate. Probably good for AIR. Looking very much forward to read your findings.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi,
have tested some of the network isolators. The cheapest 60 € and the most expensive 700 €. Could not distinguish between the individual isolators (150-700 €) no sound difference. Have two isolators EN-30 in use, switch to the melco and switch to 220pro! Rolleyes

http://shop.emosystems.de/Netzwerkisolatoren/EN-20-30/

http://www.emosystems.de/wp-content/uplo...30-V30.pdf
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Is anyone clear regarding how these things work? I am assuming that they do serve a purpose because otherwise industrial and medical versions would not exist. However, taking the earlier thought of using the device with AIR, here packet data is sent to the Devialet which then buffers the data to internal memory, with the buffered data then leaving the buffer to do whatever Devialet AIR does to provide music. So I am assuming that any noise in the Ethernet feed cannot be stored in the buffer to influence the actual data that is stored, then emerges out of the buffer. So is it a case of simply keeping any electrical interference or noise away from the Devialet Ethernet port?

That said, personally I do prefer the idea of something like the Etalon rather than stuff like the Intona, if only because the Intona introduces the need for additional LPSU's or similar. That said I also note Antoine's earlier comments regarding it being a good idea to avoid passive filtering in the digital domain.

Fascinating stuff, but somewhat confusing! I know a lot of people have reported good results with network isolation, so I think there has to be some benefits, maybe it's one of those things that work for reasons 'not yet fully understood' in the world of digital audio.

Anyway, I will certainly be interested to read Guillaume's observations of this one.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
For medical and industrial applications I believe their main purpose is simply to provide electrical isolation for safety purposes and they are implemented using transformers. They presumably have higher breakdown voltages than the pulse transformers typically used on circuit-board Ethernet interfaces. Quite reasonably, in my opinion at least, they are not marketed to "improve" the digital data being transmitted.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(16-Aug-2017, 17:44)Confused Wrote: Is anyone clear regarding how these things work?  I am assuming that they do serve a purpose because otherwise industrial and medical versions would not exist.  However, taking the earlier thought of using the device with AIR, here packet data is sent to the Devialet which then buffers the data to internal memory, with the buffered data then leaving the buffer to do whatever Devialet AIR does to provide music.  So I am assuming that any noise in the Ethernet feed cannot be stored in the buffer to influence the actual data that is stored, then emerges out of the buffer.  So is it a case of simply keeping any electrical interference or noise away from the Devialet Ethernet port?  

That said, personally I do prefer the idea of something like the Etalon rather than stuff like the Intona, if only because the Intona introduces the need for additional LPSU's or similar.  That said I also note Antoine's earlier comments regarding it being a good idea to avoid passive filtering in the digital domain.  

Fascinating stuff, but somewhat confusing!  I know a lot of people have reported good results with network isolation, so I think there has to be some benefits, maybe it's one of those things that work for reasons 'not yet fully understood' in the world of digital audio.

Anyway, I will certainly be interested to read Guillaume's observations of this one.

Hi Confused, there are built-in high-frequency transformer (isolating transformer)! Grounding and voltage separation (ripple loops, etc.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Thanks for that K4680. So if I am interpreting this correctly, this is not passive filtering per Antoine's concerns. (Note that Antoine did not say it was passive filtering, he was simply concerned it might be) It simply allows the data through unhindered, whilst offering complete isolation from spurious electrical noise and grounding. Please correct me someone if I have got this wrong!

So if I have got this right, it cirtainly cannot do anything negative, and if electrical noise or grounding are an issue in a system, the issue is eliminated.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12