Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet and Internal Clock
Searched for this but couldn't find an answer -

Just curious. . . if you use a hard wired ethernet connection (not WIFI) via JRIVER (for example), does the D200 reclock the data before sending it on to the DAC?  - as opposed to using the AES/EBU connection which I imagine uses a PLL to lock the incoming work clock. . 

Thanks!
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
Surely it has to, because there is no (audio) clock associated with the Ethernet interface?

(There is a clock that is recovered by the Ethernet PHY of course but that is asynchronous to the audio clock rate.)

The Devialet has quite a large RAM buffer that allows it to reassemble the audio stream received from Ethernet -- which might need re-tries in case of lost or out-of-order packets, for example -- and must presumably clock audio samples out of that buffer using its own internal clock.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes, I assume you are using AIR. In that case, this is a streaming over IP protocol, which means that the audio frames get reconstructed by the Dev before submission to the DAC, so this is technically reclocked by the clock of the DAC.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thanks - makes total sense - will try it and see if I notice a difference in sound c/w the AES input I normally use
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
According to Devialet, both wifi and ethernet signals will be reclocked by its internal Master clock.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

How about USB signals?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Devialet USB is asynchronous, hence clock is also done at Devialet's end. I'm no expert on this, maybe someone can give a better advice.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier