Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet isolator and power-line
My server audio (nuc running roon rock and nas) is not in the same room of the audio system.
So I bought a power-line to connect the nuc/nas to the router (from the router to the devialet I use a normal ethernet cable). Unfortunately I have connected also sever domestic appliances on the same power network and l know that they put a lot of “dirty” on that...
According to your experience what do you think about an ethernet isolator to filter and improve the input signal?
Thank you.
Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
(09-Dec-2018, 21:07)Paperman Wrote: My server audio (nuc running roon rock and nas) is not in the same room of the audio system.
So I bought a power-line to connect the nuc/nas to the router (from the router to the devialet I use a normal ethernet cable). Unfortunately I have connected also sever domestic appliances on the same power network and l know that they put a lot of “dirty” on that...
According to your experience what do you think about an ethernet isolator to filter and improve the input signal?
Thank you.
Alberto

I am using a nuc also. I've connected my nuc directly to my devialet using the existing NIC on the nuc next to that I use a usb/ethernet adapter making my nuc reachable for a nas and/or control app.
The USB/ethernet adaptor resides in my "default" home network/subnet. The nuc-devialet connection is in a separate subnet which you also have to define at your devialet.

The direct connection between nuc  and devialet gives a great SQ no "dirty" nodes between the nuc and Devialet. Improving the Ethernet cable between nuc and devialet improves SQ (i'm using Audioquest)

This solution is IMHO cheaper and better compared to isolation.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-My-first...-with-Roon
(09-Dec-2018, 21:07)Paperman Wrote: My server audio (nuc running roon rock and nas) is not in the same room of the audio system.
Thank you.
Alberto

Buy a pair of fmc tp-link 220, and a fiber cable in order to achieve optical isolation and you are done. Costs no higher than 300€ including the cables...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-Dec-2018, 11:29)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
Thank you.
Alberto

Buy a pair of fmc tp-link 220, and a fiber cable in order to achieve optical isolation and you are done. Costs no higher than 300€ including the cables...

...but then you're assuming that the FMC at the "clean" end is not injecting similar noise from its own power supply, of course.  Given that they are supplied with generic "wall-wart" power adapters, the cure might be worse than the disease.  (I'm not saying it is, necessarily, but it can't be ruled out.)

Personally I don't think there's a simple, guaranteed "one-size-fits-all" solution to this kind of thing.  If you are concerned about it -- and sufficiently interested to experiment -- I think you should try out various alternatives and decide for yourself whether or not they improve the sound quality to your ears, which is essentially all that matters.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Dec-2018, 12:01)thumb5 Wrote:
(10-Dec-2018, 11:29)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
Thank you.
Alberto

...but then you're assuming that the FMC at the "clean" end is not injecting similar noise from its own power supply, of course.  Given that they are supplied with generic "wall-wart" power adapters, the cure might be worse than the disease.  (I'm not saying it is, necessarily, but it can't be ruled out.)

Personally I don't think there's a simple, guaranteed "one-size-fits-all" solution to this kind of thing.  If you are concerned about it -- and sufficiently interested to experiment -- I think you should try out various alternatives and decide for yourself whether or not they improve the sound quality to your ears, which is essentially all that matters.

I am already using linear power supply to both of my fmc, but this is something our friend will have to decide after he has bought them...

Thank you.
Alberto

Give the sbooster Mk2 (much better then MK1) a try on modem router and switch. In my case a big difference.
And i suggest supra cat8 cables to give a try, not expensive and in some (or a lot) cases better SQ then audioquest.
I also use a pink faun LAN isolator.
@Paperman: how about using wi-fi?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Be very careful or you’ll get lost in the maze/get far down in the rabbit hole. Smile

I (and others) have high quality PSU’s, fiber media converters, an ethernet isolator, dual NIC Roon Server a Roon endpoint PC etc. etc. and it’s still “not enough”/can still be improved upon. We’re currently installing fully diskless, AudioLinux in RAM NUC’s, audiophile switches, master clocks, USB isolators etc. etc.

I agree with what thumb5 said. There’s no silver bullit.

Unless you have severe noise issues the FMC’s alone won’t do much. An ethernet isolator alone won’t do much. Best bet would be an audiophile switch and of course prevention is always better than curing an issue; I would never use powerline adapters..brrr...
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Dec-2018, 14:58)Antoine Wrote: I agree with what thumb5 said. There’s no silver bullit.

Me too and I couldn't agree more.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Dec-2018, 14:30)thumb5 Wrote: @Paperman: how about using wi-fi?

yes, is one option..... but unfortunately with my D200 over the resolution 24/94 I lose the bit-perfect mode for the fixed-output mode....
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -