Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet white noise/static with Mac mini
Yes, I understood but I don't think you'll get the same quality using the Stello as you would get with a Devialet native solution. I also personally would never use an interconnect that long, even being it a relatively robust AES/EBU one as I suspect the data+clock signal would deteriorate even though the standard allows up to 100m lengths. But of course this is only me and my audiophile 'convictions'. Wink It might just work and if you just want to get rid of the white noise issue and don't care much about the solution being -fully- optimal you could of course try.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(21-Oct-2014, 04:57)Antoine Wrote: The Stello U3 is merely a USB-SPDIF converter for DAC's that don't have a USB input. I have no experience with this device but I think the Devialet provides a much higher quality USB solution.

I used a Stello U3 with my D-Premier before upgrading to 250. The U3 sounds very nice indeed. It uses an XMOS device so it is similar to the USB input of the Devialet amps. The main difference is of course that Devialet's USB input has the XMOS chip within the amp instead of being connected via cable to AES/EBU.

(21-Oct-2014, 11:24)drdkey Wrote: I actually was looking at it from the perspective of having the AES/XLR connection due to the distance of my server to Devialet being about 25 ft apart on 2 separate floors

Even if the XLR connection is balanced and *should* handle long runs I think Antoines suggestion with fiber optic and USB extender is the preferred way to solve this. I am a little uncertain about the USB3 port requirement on the host though. Maybe it will not work properly if you only have USB2 ports on the Mini. I'd double check this with Adnaco.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
drdkey and canyelles have you voted in the Air survey? Actually if anyone else on here uses AIR and is currently experiencing dropouts and/or white noise then please vote at:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-AIR-user-survey

The more who respond the less easy it is for Deviate to ignore the problem.

If you don't experience these issues then please vote too so that our sample can be at least representative.

I must say I am dismayed to hear that there are problems with white noise on OS X too. Ethernet should be ideal for wiring a Mac Mini to the network and people shouldn't have to incur great expense or time finding alternative solutions.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(21-Oct-2014, 13:01)GuillaumeB Wrote: drdkey and canyelles have you voted in the Air survey? Actually if anyone else on here uses AIR and is currently experiencing dropouts and/or white noise then please vote at:

Guillaume,
I like your new name for the company. Not inappropriate in this context!
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(21-Oct-2014, 17:12)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(21-Oct-2014, 13:01)GuillaumeB Wrote: drdkey and canyelles have you voted in the Air survey? Actually if anyone else on here uses AIR and is currently experiencing dropouts and/or white noise then please vote at:

Guillaume,
I like your new name for the company. Not inappropriate in this context!
Matt

That's hilarious! Tongue I blame it on Yosemite!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I answered you over on computer audio before I came here and say your question again. I'd try it wireless see what happens.. is the Mind app Really that bad??
(21-Oct-2014, 22:14)ErikM Wrote: I answered you over on computer audio before I came here and say your question again. I'd try it wireless see what happens.. is the Mind app Really that bad??

Yes
It is very clunky, slow to respond. Using iTunes with Air ethernet and Apple remote is like having the responsiveness of a Ferrari whereas the Mind responds like an Edsel.
To be fair though, the streamer is fantastic!! Simaudio said over a year ago that they were going to come out with a player and so I have remained hopeful but they never delivered.

(22-Oct-2014, 00:08)drdkey Wrote:
(21-Oct-2014, 22:14)ErikM Wrote: I answered you over on computer audio before I came here and say your question again. I'd try it wireless see what happens.. is the Mind app Really that bad??

Yes
It is very clunky, slow to respond. Using iTunes with Air ethernet and Apple remote is like having the responsiveness of a Ferrari whereas the Mind responds like an Edsel.
To be fair though, the streamer is fantastic!! Simaudio said over a year ago that they were going to come out with a player and so I have remained hopeful but they never delivered.

To clarify, the iPad app is slow and clunky to respond, not the streamer which is a great product.
(21-Oct-2014, 13:01)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must say I am dismayed to hear that there are problems with white noise on OS X too.
Guillaume

I completely agree with you Guillaume. As this is now also a problem on OS X, maybe Devialet would make an effort to fix it. So far the problem has only existed for PC users and I feel Devialet has been ignoring it.
If one takes the email from Devialet re. the incompatibility AIR/Yosemite as a sign they will act quickly when OS X is involved.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(22-Oct-2014, 09:12)ogs Wrote:
(21-Oct-2014, 13:01)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must say I am dismayed to hear that there are problems with white noise on OS X too.
Guillaume

I completely agree with you Guillaume. As this is now also a problem on OS X, maybe Devialet would make an effort to fix it. So far the problem has only existed for PC users and I feel Devialet has been ignoring it.
If one takes the email from Devialet re. the incompatibility AIR/Yosemite as a sign they will act quickly when OS X is involved.

Sorry but I don't see it this way at all.

That email re AIR/Yosemite was sent out on the day of Yosemite release but BEFORE it was actually released.

Therefore they had had a beta copy of Yosemite for some time, knew it did not work, and left it to the last possible moment to let us know.

I presume they thought they would be able to fix it in time but were not able to do so.

And they still have not fixed it.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
(22-Oct-2014, 11:02)canyelles Wrote: Sorry but I don't see it this way at all.

That email re AIR/Yosemite was sent out on the day of Yosemite release but BEFORE it was actually released.

Therefore they had had a beta copy of Yosemite for some time, knew it did not work, and left it to the last possible moment to let us know.

I presume they thought they would be able to fix it in time but were not able to do so.

And they still have not fixed it.
Thanks for clearing up this canyelles. I am not a OS X user so I have not tested myself. I've read that Devialet has a lot of programmers employed. Not much help when they can not fix things like this quickly.
Devialetless!