Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evident delay for gaming
That is quite interesting @kmjy! Is that optical direct to the unit itself? Did you try this amplifying a live instrument or DJing? Then this has changed since the early White version I tried, but that is a long time ago now.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(28-Feb-2018, 13:46)ogs Wrote: but it is not known whether the Louis Vuitton kit entitles you to buy Phantoms with the 'delay-free' firmware...

Does anyone know what the Louis Vuitton DJ trunk costs?  I’m not thinking of buying one, by the way.  In fact, I’d be surprised if anyone has, but you never know.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Feb-2018, 09:48)stussyclie Wrote:
(28-Feb-2018, 08:34)booshtukka Wrote:
(28-Feb-2018, 08:23)stussyclie Wrote: Just acquired Gold Phantom and connected to my iMac through airplay.  It's a evident delay for 1-2 seconds for gaming which is quite disappointing.  It's find for video like movie or youtube etc, but unacceptable for gaming.  I don't think it's the problem for connection speed?  Does gaming require to another protocol for phantom to decode causing the delay?  

Anyone know if airplay 2 could help or else I have to think about selling it...

It’s a known byproduct of using Bluetooth/airplay and the built-in processing in the phantom that creates a lag. 1-2 seconds is extreme, you should be able to get to 250ms or so, but that would still feel laggy. 

It’s been discussed here many times. Phantom is not appropriate for live responses like gaming or playing an instrument. Sorry.
How to get to 250ms? it would be far better than 1-2 seconds? I am connecting through my wifi 5ghz by airplay
Airplay is the problem not the Phantoms. Apple, if I can recall correctly has added this delay with Ios7, before there was way less delay, almost instantaneous. So, there are 2 modes with Airplay one that uses audio together with video for screen sharing. Then Airplay syncs without 2s delay or as 2nd mode in pure audio e.g. with music apps over airplay a 2s delay is introduced. The Phantom system e.g. with optical input or bluetooth has a delay of 150-200ms.
(01-Mar-2018, 00:33)streamy Wrote: The Phantom system e.g. with optical input or bluetooth has a delay of 150-200ms.

Well, 150-200 ms is actually too much for live use. For ordinary playback of stored (or streamed...) music delay does not matter as there is usually buffering involved anyway, but for live use latency should be short - around 1 ms... is a good figure.
Be certain that Kii has thought of studio use when they designed the Three with a setting that gives you low latency. If the Three was only delivered with the 90 ms latency you'd probably never see it in a studio!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(01-Mar-2018, 15:23)ogs Wrote:
(01-Mar-2018, 00:33)streamy Wrote: The Phantom system e.g. with optical input or bluetooth has a delay of 150-200ms.

Well, 150-200 ms is actually too much for live use. For ordinary playback of stored (or streamed...) music delay does not matter as there is usually buffering involved anyway, but for live use latency should be short - around 1 ms... is a good figure.
Be certain that Kii has thought of studio use when they designed the Three with a setting that gives you low latency. If the Three was only delivered with the 90 ms latency you'd probably never see it in a studio!

According to some posts here in the forum Devialet has a special firmware version that allows a low latency application using the optical input. I assume this fw is used with the Dante dongle, too in special installations and with this fw multiple Phantoms are not synchronized using Dialog. When you use the webinterface of the Phantoms on port 8000 there is a menu item to upload a custom firmware. I do not have such a fw. But for djing or studio applications one can contact Devialet. Same for multispeaker applications (5.0 or 7.0 systems), this is indicated on their website.
It's still around 150ms delay on my ethernet wired White's.
(28-Feb-2018, 08:34)booshtukka Wrote:
(28-Feb-2018, 08:23)stussyclie Wrote: Just acquired Gold Phantom and connected to my iMac through airplay.  It's a evident delay for 1-2 seconds for gaming which is quite disappointing.  It's find for video like movie or youtube etc, but unacceptable for gaming.  I don't think it's the problem for connection speed?  Does gaming require to another protocol for phantom to decode causing the delay?  

Anyone know if airplay 2 could help or else I have to think about selling it...

Hello, I have my Phantoms connected to my TV via optical cable and I play PS4 on it mainly, never experienced and delays. If you hardwire your Phantom, you won't get delays. Airplay and bluetooth cause delays.
Old thread this, but in the interim we have learned more: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-O...ode-How-to.
Devialetless!
i stupidly went and bought a pair of black phantom reactor 600w as a christmas present to my gaming PC (BeeTee), BEFORE checking the forums.

Then i had huge buyer's remorse over the next 3 days while waiting for the reactors to arrive.

Bought a whole bunch of accessories to help prevent the inevitable lag.
I bought 
- external DAC through USB 3.0
- PCI sound card
- optical to 3.5 aux x 2

In the end the way to NO LAG was a simple $1 aux splitter which i had lying around from 6-7 yrs ago.... both black phantom reactors linked by 3.5mm aux to the splitter, then plugged both into my aux IN on the motherboard (not the PCI sound card).

Oh well.... sometimes expensive solution not always the best.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Now to figure out how to get them to do surround sound.....
(01-Mar-2018, 19:12)streamy Wrote:
(01-Mar-2018, 15:23)ogs Wrote:

According to some posts here in the forum Devialet has a special firmware version that allows a low latency application using the optical input. I assume this fw is used with the Dante dongle, too in special installations and with this fw multiple Phantoms are not synchronized using Dialog. When you use the webinterface of the Phantoms on port 8000 there is a menu item to upload a custom firmware. I do not have such a fw. But for djing or studio applications one can contact Devialet. Same for multispeaker applications (5.0 or 7.0 systems), this is indicated on their website.

If you have DOS 2  and use an
 audio optical cable to send the audio to your phantom premier or reactor you can set the audio delay in the devialet app on your smartphone to a minimum of 60 ms in the parameters of the speaker that receives the optical cable. But You cannot set the audio delay in DOS 1 (spark). 
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac