Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 1000 Pro
Great post, this makes me think more about geting my 400 upgraded to a 440PRO. I have had thougts about leaving Devialet but is the grass greener on the other side, perhaps not if the PRO are delivering excellent sound?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

A few notes re the sub assignments that earlier posters set for the audition. Power cables: We did not get 'round to trying any options, tho be honest, with alternative DAC and amps to play with power cables were a long way down the interesting list, plus I have to say I am probably not the right person to be testing power cables and would probably end up saying I'm not sure or they all sound the same or something. However, I did discuss the matter with Alasdair at OAC, and it looks like they might try some options with their Pro when they have some time. I'm sure he'll chime in with a post or two if they come to any conclusions. Now for my epic fail! I did want to see if the phono stage in a brand new Pro had the same hiss issue when set to MC cartridge levels. Even if the phono stage is claimed to unchaged, had Devialet perhaps quietly improved it in any way? Well, I forgot all about this one and I'm kicking myself now. Another one for OAC I think, they could of course check this next time the Pro is on demo.

One thing we did remember to do was to have a check on temperatures. My understanding is that both the D800 and Pro had been powered up for many hours, overnight I think. So after a listening session with the D800, temperatures checked as follows: A=43° D=42° S=41°. It was at this point that we noticed that DPM was on. (I think the way V10 is working is tricking people with default options etc.) This is worth mentioning because having realised the D800 listening session was with DPM, to keep things simple, we ran the Pro with DPM. Alasdair is of the view that DPM does not make much difference. I tend to agree with this but I have found some stuff at home with the Blades to sound a touch better without DPM, so in casual listening I might keep it on, but sometimes it goes off if I'm having a serious listen to something. So, my Pro observations above were with DPM on. So to temperatures on the Pro. I was perhaps expecting these to be similar or lower, with all the new cooling material, solid copper base, higher power PSU, and so on, but no! The Pro was reading A=57° D=48° S=50°. Ouch!! It has been noted a few time in the past that Devialet's can run quite hot when they are new, they then settle down after some use. So this is interesting, does the Pro run hotter, or is it simply a case of OAC's demo unit being only two weeks old. It does offer the tantalising prospect that OAC's demo Pro is not quite at it's best yet, but if it sounded that good when not at it's best, it'll be happy days when it settles down!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Confused, thanks for your -- as always -- terrific write-up. Sounds as though you had an excellent day, and you've definitely served up some food for thought for us 400 owners...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for your review Confused. You could easily get a job in Devialet's marketing department. All my questions answered, I can now happily go to sleep Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(07-Aug-2016, 10:26)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Thanks for your review Confused. You could easily get a job in Devialet's marketing department. All my questions answered, I can now happily go to sleep Smile

No, he'd never get a job in their marketing department - far too erudite, honest and sensible!!

What a great review - many many thanks for taking the time to share your findings. 

Your opinion fully vindicates a big decision I made a few days ago ......

Z
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Zappydev - come on, spill the beans! Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the excellent reports Confused. I'm very surprised at the temperature comparison results,it'll be interesting to find out if the temperatures of the Pro decrease as it settles down. The D800 temperatures are very close to my master's, although my companion runs slightly cooler. Both dropped several degrees when I put them on separate shelves, rather than having them stacked. Were the units at OAC stacked or separated?
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(07-Aug-2016, 10:46)thumb5 Wrote: Zappydev - come on, spill the beans! Smile

All in good time .....  Tongue Tongue  Tongue
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(07-Aug-2016, 09:52)Confused Wrote: One thing we did remember to do was to have a check on temperatures.  My understanding is that both the D800 and Pro had been powered up for many hours, overnight I think.  So after a listening session with the D800, temperatures checked as follows:  A=43° D=42° S=41°.  It was at this point that we noticed that DPM was on.  (I think the way V10 is working is tricking people with default options etc.)  This is worth mentioning because having realised the D800 listening session was with DPM, to keep things simple, we ran the Pro with DPM.  Alasdair is of the view that DPM does not make much difference.  I tend to agree with this but I have found some stuff at home with the Blades to sound a touch better without DPM, so in casual listening I might keep it on, but sometimes it goes off if I'm having a serious listen to something.  So, my Pro observations above were with DPM on.  So to temperatures on the Pro.  I was perhaps expecting these to be similar or lower, with all the new cooling material, solid copper base, higher power PSU, and so on, but no!  The Pro was reading A=57° D=48° S=50°.  Ouch!!  It has been noted a few time in the past that Devialet's can run quite hot when they are new, they then settle down after some use.  So this is interesting, does the Pro run hotter, or is it simply a case of OAC's demo unit being only two weeks old.  It does offer the tantalising prospect that OAC's demo Pro is not quite at it's best yet, but if it sounded that good when not at it's best, it'll be happy days when it settles down!

Analogue=57 with DPM ON? Did I understand You well? 

IMO this is too hot. With DPM OFF it will be for sure more than 61 degrees...

Using 1000 with low sensitivity loudspeakers, volume -10dB and with DPM OFF will cause even 65 or more degrees...not very good...

maybe Devialet should construct 1000 100% copper chassis...?
(07-Aug-2016, 10:43)Zappydev Wrote:
(07-Aug-2016, 10:26)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Thanks for your review Confused. You could easily get a job in Devialet's marketing department. All my questions answered, I can now happily go to sleep Smile

No, he'd never get a job in their marketing department - far too erudite, honest and sensible!!

What a great review - many many thanks for taking the time to share your findings. 

Your opinion fully vindicates a big decision I made a few days ago ......

Z
Yes, spill the beans!!  And Oi!!  Who are you calling sensible, outside now! Angry
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12