Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 140 Pro Analog Out w/o the Preamplifier Board
It has come to my attention that there is a way to configure the digital output (the dual mono link) on the 140 Pro to output an analog signal for use with subs, etc.  I am unable to replicate this through the Configurator and I am told you do not use the Configurator to do so anyway.  Has anyone else heard anything about this?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
I just tried it on the configurator and was able to set it up. When you choose the 140 Pro there is an option (at the bottom of the model selection dialog) to choose whether the hardware has a pre-amp out board fitted - I guess this is not standard, as it's disabled by default. With that option selected, the digital outputs can be re-configured as analog pre-outs, either stereo or mono (for a sub). Hope that helps...or is it not what you were asking?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Kind of.  Like you I was able to simulate the configuration of the 140 by enabling the "Preamplified output" radio button on the "Choose a model" page of the Configurator.  Given that the Preamplified Output Board is not included in the 140 by default (it's an optional add-on which unlike the higher models have the circuitry built-in) I naturally presumed the configuration would not work without the board installed.  

Apparently, and according to my source, there is a way to configure the 140 without using the Configurator to enable the analog output of the (dual-mono) connector AND without having the (optional) Preamplified Output Board installed.  This is suppose to be a unique property of the 140 which the 120 does not share as the 140 is capable of supporting a dual-mono configuration whereas the 120 is not.

My source is adamant that the 140 can output an analog signal through the same connector that would otherwise be used in a dual-mono configuration.  By now, you might be wondering why I don't just ask my source how.  Well I did but he doesn't know how he only knows a person that does.  However that person was not available at the time of my inquiry.   As I am having a hard time accepting this as truly being possible, I wanted to know if anyone else was aware of this (supposed) capability of the 140.
Ah, thanks for clarifying - and answering all the questions the clarification raised. Like you, I'm sceptical about what you describe.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I am very skeptical too given the fact that the link in a dual mono configuration is digital and not analog.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Precisely!!!  But it could be my source's source knows a way to take Magic Wire beyond the DAC?   Wink
Okay, so here is the deal...

My source misunderstood his source.  There is no option to configure the software of the 140 Pro to output an analog signal without the use of the Configurator and the Pre-amplier Output Board installed as was previously thought.  But there is an alternative solution, albeit, less clean (this I knew).

The 4th coaxial connector on the 140 Pro is a Digital Input by default.  This connector can be changed to a Digital Output through the Configurator.  This feature is what gives the 140 Pro the ability to be used in a Dual-Mono configuration.  The 120 DOES NOT have this capability.

To output an analog signal through this connector you only have one of two choices.  1) Purchase the Pre-amplifier Output Board OR 2) Purchase an external DAC.

Option 2 offers more flexibility than Option 1 by avoiding the need to make a decision now on a feature you may or may not need in the future and it also has the potential to save a lot more time and money.  Unfortunately, it also limits the option to go Dual-Mono unless you spring for the Pre-amplifier Output Board at the same time.  So you really only have to ask yourself if the potential to go Dual-Mono is greater than the potential to go dual subs in your setup.

I tend to buy only what I need.  At this time I have no need for subs nor to go Dual-Mono but I like the fact that I could add either one later on should my needs change whether or not I have the Pre-amplifier Output Board already installed.  You don't get either option with the 120!