Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 140 Pro Sub Out without Preamp Ouput
Can I hook up a subwoofer to an Expert 140 Pro without the optional preamp outputs board?  I didn't see in the configurator this was possible.
(02-Dec-2019, 16:30)projectman Wrote: Can I hook up a subwoofer to an Expert 140 Pro without the optional preamp outputs board?  I didn't see in the configurator this was possible.

You need the Board if you want to properly split the Bass signal from the main signal and send it to a Subwoofer via an RCA out socket.

Otherwise, you can only do it by connecting the Dev speaker outputs to the High-Level Input of the subwoofer (if it has such an input).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I emailed Devialet and this was their response:

“Connecting a subwoofer is always possible in parallel of the front speakers
All subwoofer feature a "high level" input”

Does anyone see impedance issues or other problems with connecting two pairs of speaker wires to an Expert Pro 140 (no preamp out)? Basically one pair goes to the sub and the other pair goes to my Focal speakers?
There is not an impedance issue. Subwoofer brand REL actually suggests to connect their subs like this. However, when doing so you cannot use SAM anymore as it will also impact the sub negatively and might even damage it. On the other hand, wit an added sub you might not need SAM, at least not for the better bass of your main speakers.
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
I am in a similar situation. I have an Expert Pro 140 without preamp board. Since I have no dealer in my state I am doubtful I can acquire one (at least from the threads I’ve seen here when searching).

I do have a thought on a solution that would allow me to still use SAM.

You can configure one of the coaxial (rca style) connectors as an output. This gives you a digital out. I’m thinking I could acquire an inexpensive DAC from Amazon or Schiit Modi 3 to convert it to a low level analog output that could then be sent to the inputs on a Subwoofer (either a pair of them or summed into one). You’d still need to use the Sub to control cutoff and level. But you’d retain SAM.

I’m hopeful that an inexpensive DAC is not going to Have a negative sound quality impact because it’s only really being used for the bottom end.

There is a $12 one on Amazon I’m considering (Amtake) although the Schiit Modi 3 is still only $99.

Does anyone have experience trying this? Is there something I’m missing like possible delays in timing of the external DAC vs the speaker outs?
That sounds to me like an eminently workable scheme. If your external DAC adds a significant delay to the signal going to the sub, it will be added to any signal processing delay inside the sub, and delays due to acoustic path length differences between the sub and the main speakers. In any case, you can configure the 140 to delay the main speaker outputs for up to 20 ms to accommodate these timing differences and help with sub-woofer integration.

Out of curiosity it occurs to me to wonder: in this day and age, are there not sub-woofers with digital inputs?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Biggest problem is that digiout is fixed output.
(25-Apr-2020, 11:10)Waiski Wrote: Biggest problem is that digiout is fixed output.

I think I can tackle that with the sub amp volume control, but that’s a good point.  

Regarding subs with built in DACs, I believe they exist.  But Sadly that’s not on my Zu subwoofer.
(25-Apr-2020, 17:01)RJHD3 Wrote: Regarding subs with built in DACs, I believe they exist.  But Sadly that’s not on my Zu subwoofer.

Understood, I was just thinking aloud. Sorry for the noise!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Apr-2020, 17:01)RJHD3 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2020, 11:10)Waiski Wrote: Biggest problem is that digiout is fixed output.

I think I can tackle that with the sub amp volume control, but that’s a good point.  

Regarding subs with built in DACs, I believe they exist.  But Sadly that’s not on my Zu subwoofer.
Of you can live with this limitation, then I don`t see other problems.