Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 140 Pro Sub Out without Preamp Ouput
(25-Apr-2020, 17:01)RJHD3 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2020, 11:10)Waiski Wrote: Biggest problem is that digiout is fixed output.

I think I can tackle that with the sub amp volume control, but that’s a good point.  

You can't tackle it with the sub "amp volume control". For a start it's not a volume control, it's a gain control.

The big problem, however, is that you're controlling overall volume with the Devialet's volume control. When you turn the volume on the Devialet up, you want the sub volume to also go up, and when you turn the volume on the Devialet down you want the sub volume to go down, and you want the sub volume to go up and down by the same amount as the Devialet's volume changes. If the digital output from the Devialet is fixed, then the sub doesn't change it's volume when you change the Devialet's volume. You may think you can compensate for that by adjusting the sub's gain control but let's say you increase the Devialet's volume by 2.5 dB, do you have a gain control on the sub that allows you to change the gain by an exact 2.5 dB? If you don't, then the balance between sub and your speakers gets slightly out of sync and the next time you change the volume on the Devialet and adjust the sub another error creeps in, and errors keep creeping in with every adjustment you make. It simply doesn't work unless you have a sub with a gain setting readout that allows 0.5 dB steps and you can ensure that the increase/decrease in gain setting matches exactly the increase/decrease in Devialet volume setting.

You need a variable level output that is controlled by the Devialet's volume control so volume of speakers and sub remain matched and you are adjusting both with the same volume control.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Is it definitely the case that the digital output is not volume-controlled? @Waiski sounds like you know for sure.

(OT: There should really be a thread for "things Devialet should have documented but didn't". That would be very helpful if it could be kept on the rails.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@David A I get it, and yes unless volume were always constant from the amp, the bass would quickly be too much or too little. Just looking for creative solutions to keep SAM.

I think I'll dump SAM, try 7.1.3, and run both the Zu Druid V's and the Dominion sub and see how that works out. Will also reach out to Devialet about ability to send along a proper pre-amp board. Baring that, I'll figure out how to sell and upgrade.
(25-Apr-2020, 22:35)thumb5 Wrote: Is it definitely the case that the digital output is not volume-controlled? @Waiski sounds like you know for sure.

(OT: There should really be a thread for "things Devialet should have documented but didn't". That would be very helpful if it could be kept on the rails.)
I have tested digiout and it is fixed. I asked also from Devialet and it is not possible to change it to variable output.

I have D1000 Pro CI and I use pre out and Devialet active crossover. Then there is two amplifiers and two 18" subs in use. Works really well.
Well. Crud. Never mind on 7.1.3 I guess you can’t take a Expert Pro back down to that firmware version. Bummer.

I think the Devialet Expert 140 Pro I acquired is going to end up quickly back on the market and replaced with one with a preamp out, or a 220 Pro.

There just doesn’t seem to be a viable workaround without that variable preamp analog out, at least if you want to use SAM.
Worth asking Devialet directly whether they can supply a pre-out board for your 140 Pro? Maybe you've already done so.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks @thumb5. I’ve reached out to Devialet. They won’t sell the board direct. So it may mean a trip for the Devialet to Paris.