Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
random upgrade questions
Jean-Marie - Great post - thank you!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
So what are the ramifications of going into the devialets + volume on a signal that is already attenuated by 10 db in the digital domain.. I dont hear any degradation .. speakers are 93db efficient - easy load..
I can reduce the attn to -6 or -3 or 0 .. but then I would risk hitting a digital ceiling and have digital clipping ..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(08-Oct-2015, 09:47)Rodney Gold Wrote: So what are the ramifications of going into the devialets + volume  on a signal that is already attenuated by 10 db in the digital domain.. I dont hear any degradation .. speakers are 93db efficient - easy load..
I can reduce the attn to -6 or -3 or 0 .. but then I would risk hitting a digital ceiling and have digital clipping ..

There is really no degradation / drawback doing it the way you describe. It means that the digital stream seen by the Devialet is -10dBFS which mean that you can crank up de volume of the Devialet up to +10 without running any risk of compression. 

The only loss is 10dB on the SNR, so 86dB instead of 96 if you are feeding the Devialet using 16 bits after your processing or 134dB instead of 144 if you are using 24 bits. Even in the 16 bits case, I highly doubt that it would be discernible under normal listening conditions and would anyway much preferable than having digital clipping. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Ta...
the devialet sees a -10db 24/96 signal.. and I play LOUD.... the birds chirping outside are noisier..
I was worried that at the + levels that the devialet might be applying digital gain to the signal after 0 on its display ...
the DB number never goes orange , but at +10 , the last dot or 2 are orange
you have set my mind at ease..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I know, reviving a thread from the morgue, I have been looking into upgrading to G1s and this made me think of Rodney, who I miss....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(30-Sep-2015, 16:45)noir Wrote: Hello fellow Devialet-fans

Right now i'm running a Dev 120 to Giya G2.
This was never an intended setup as i bought the Dev 120 to feed my B&W Monitors for my computer setup.... unfortunately sometime in between i heard the G2, fell in love and couldn't resist.

So now i feel the time has come to relegate the D120 to its original computer speaker duties, and choose a more potent amp for the G2. The obvious choice seems to be the D250 (with possibility to upgrade to D800), but i am wondering if a D200 or D400 wouldn't be sufficient.

Are there Vivid Audio owners who feel like chiming in?
I have a 220CI paired with a Vivid B1 Decade.  Sounds wonderful!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.