Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro 220 CI as power amp
Hi guys,
does anyone of you have experience placing Devialet Expert Pro 220 CI to serve as a power amp? 
I am waiting to get tube DAC/preamp and until my new power amp comes, I would like to connect DAC/preamp on ExpertPro. 
Just wondering is it possible, and if yes, wherein the settings shall I make changes to? 
thanks 
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
You cannot avoid DAC in Devialet. You will have additional AD/DA conversion.

To use it as a power amp configure analog input as "Pass thru".
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(23-Dec-2021, 13:44)Delija Wrote: You cannot avoid DAC in Devialet. You will have additional AD/DA conversion.
To use it as a power amp configure analog input as "Pass thru".

Then it doesn't make sense Smile 
Anyhow, thanks for the answer
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
The pass through function is useful only if you integrate it in a home theater system, allowing the 2 front channels to be driven by the Expert.
Otherwise, as said, it is pointless.
Exactly. That's the usage in my system.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(23-Dec-2021, 15:27)docvale Wrote: The pass through function is useful only if you integrate it in a home theater system, allowing the 2 front channels to be driven by the Expert.

Thanks @docvale. I will be waiting for my power amp to arrive then. Meanwhile will look for some affordable/temporary solution like D'agostino Relentless Wink
(23-Dec-2021, 15:27)docvale Wrote: The pass through function is useful only if you integrate it in a home theater system, allowing the 2 front channels to be driven by the Expert.

Now this is not entirely true.
The "Pass Thru" function is, as you say, primarily made for HT users. It disables the Devialet volume control and instead lets you set a fixed  level to match the output signal from the  HT amp (correct loudness from L & R relative to the other speakers in the surround set up) to have volume for all channels controlled by the HT amp.

The fixed level also works with a stereo preamp the same way as with a HT amp. Instead of having to use two volume controls (one at the preamp the other the Devialet) the volume is controlled only by the preamp.

In addition the line input has a sensitivity (gain) setting that should match the max output voltage of the preamp. The extra AD stage in the Devialet design will of course impact sound somewhat. ADH does all its clever stuff in the digital domain and a Devialet Expert amplifier will sound best with a good digital feed.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Several Devialet owners are using DACs in front of their Devialet, using an analog input to feed it.

They are apparently satisfied with the results, so I would not dismiss upfront the solution of configuring a stereo pair of inputs as analog and pass through, which effectively turns the Devialet into a stereo power amplifier.

Give it a try, especially if this is just a temporary stop gap.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(24-Dec-2021, 07:09)Jean-Marie Wrote: Several Devialet owners are using DACs in front of their Devialet, using an analog input to feed it.

They are apparently satisfied with the results, so I would not dismiss upfront the solution of configuring a stereo pair of inputs as analog and pass through, which effectively turns the Devialet into a stereo power amplifier.

Give it a try, especially if this is just a temporary stop gap.

Jean-Marie

Many thanks @Jean-Marie for sharing this info. Will give a try when preamp arrives. 
br
Zoran