Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved?
Bonjour to all from lockdown hell in Los Angeles County Rancho Palos Verdes SoCal.

The 220 is hands down the best amp I’ve experienced. Opinions abound on the best connection method. Sufficed to say they all sound great to me. I use Airplay (with ethernet) and USB (DAC to 220)

Several months in with the 220 driving Magico S3 (mk 1) with 3mtr Synergistic Research Foundation Speaker cables. 

The 220 sits on a Solid Tech Rack of Silence Reference amp stand. Also back and forth on set of four Synergistic Research Cable Risers (built in HFTs). On second floor on suspended wooden floor ( a downside) in wooden structure 18 x 24 acoustic space. No Acoustic treatment so a considerably ‘live’ environment so not perhaps ideal acoustically speaking. Sweet spot approx 13-14ft from front wall. Speakers (rear not baffle plain) set about 5 3/4 feet from front wall and close to same from side walls, so decent symmetry re positioning. Sweet spot listening positioning around 9ft from speaker baffle plains. Very slightly / barely toed in.

Have had several good amps and DACs, perhaps not the latest SOTA but well regarded nonetheless.

Experimented with several very good DACs Vs 220 Magic Wire including W4S DAC2 DSD SE, Synergistic Research The Music Cable DAC, and Denafrips Pontus. Each have their strengths, but ultimately the 220’s Magic Wire is just so good, truly world class, those DACs can’t match what it does.

Many varying opinions on SAM, mostly it seems bypassing / setting it to ‘Off’. Going back and forth over the months I like others was leaning toward off, especially as the S3 sounds so good au natural. 

The 220 comes standard with the AQ power cord. Out of interest I switched it out for another cord and found that I preferred the more free flowing sound due to less constricted center image) over the AQ, thus using it for a good while, until the other day. I decided to switch back in the AQ cord. I instantly heard strengths with the AQ cord, with more control and definitely more resolution resulting in a tighter clearer sound, BUT with the center image a bit squashed and smaller.

Switched SAM back in play. BAM! The sound was incredible! That center image ‘constriction’ was gone. Resolution was off the charts. Bare in mind, with SAM I had experienced the same as many here, with a sense of obscuring the upper mids, which to be fair was somewhat recording dependent. But now there is no ambiguity. The sound is spectacular; full and full-range, dense, layered, vast, open (Magico does this mid range openness like no other excepting the best horn compression driver speakers) so musical, transparent and resolved. No weird bass resonance or muddiness - it’s gone! I don’t know why the cord would make such a difference and the be fair the S3 is so resolving perhaps that is why I hear it so clearly?

If you’ve switched out your AQ cord and are on the fence about SAM, please try the AQ cord back in the system. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Look forward to discussing, and my pleasure to meet you all.

Sincere Amitiés

Adam
Welcome here at DC. You do realise that the output of all the DA converters you tried was re-digitised to pass through ADH, which the so called magic wire DAC is part of?
The cleanest signal path with Devialet amplifiers is feeding them a digital signal. You have obviously discovered this Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@AdamEOS
Devialet likes AQ.
Have you tried some higher AQ model?

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Audioque...power-cord
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Better power supply is the single most efficient way you can optimize the performance.
Niagara 1200 with Monsoon and Z3 or all the way up will bring you unbelievably results
(12-Dec-2020, 12:58)ogs Wrote: Welcome here at DC. You do realise that the output of all the DA converters you tried was re-digitised to pass through ADH, which the so called magic wire DAC is part of?
The cleanest signal path with Devialet amplifiers is feeding them a digital signal. You have obviously discovered this Smile

Welcome @Adam.
I originally thought the same as @ogs: of course it must make sense to skip a useless D/A->A/D conversion.
Then I realized: if the digitizing ADC in the Devialet is transparent enough (which would explain this choice of handling the analog input), it doesn’t add significant distortion vs the external and the Devialet DACs. So a higher distorsion when using an external DAC rather than via the Magic Wire only would come from the added external DAC.
Moreover, with a digital input, the jitter of the synchronous link (remaining after filtering) can also provide distortion, avoided when using the analog input and which could benefit the comparison.
So the magic wire or whatever it is called still looks like a key asset, not only because it is merged with the ADH, but as it outperforms at least many respected DACs.
Just my 2¢.
(13-Dec-2020, 22:19)markush Wrote: Better power supply is the single most efficient way you can optimize the performance.
Niagara 1200 with Monsoon and Z3 or all the way up will bring you unbelievably results

Did you try it on Devialet? 
I heard that D class is pretty dependent on the current. I have some feeling that my Devialet sounds better in the late evening Smile  
I am just curious can some power conditioner make an impact (positive, of course Smile on Devialet sound. 

thanks
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(23-Dec-2020, 22:07)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:
(13-Dec-2020, 22:19)markush Wrote: Better power supply is the single most efficient way you can optimize the performance.

I heard that D class is pretty dependent on the current. I have some feeling that my Devialet sounds better in the late evening Smile  
I am just curious can some power conditioner make an impact (positive, of course Smile on Devialet sound. 

thanks
Zoran

I did extensive testing with a 220 Pro as well as 440 Pro - and it’s the same impact that power supply had. Just using an Audioquest Z3 will immediately improve the sound. And if you go for a Niagara 1200 or 3000 the difference is absolutely outstanding. I have to admit I would have never thought it makes such a difference.
(30-Dec-2020, 19:57)markush Wrote:
(23-Dec-2020, 22:07)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:

thanks
Zoran

I did extensive testing with a 220 Pro as well as 440 Pro - and it’s the same impact that power supply had. Just using an Audioquest Z3 will immediately improve the sound. And if you go for a Niagara 1200 or 3000 the difference is absolutely outstanding. I have to admit I would have never thought it makes such a difference.
I have the Niagara 1000 and it's made a difference in the SQ of my Devialet Expert 220 Pro.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.