Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro 440 vs. 1000
Hello everyone,

Many thanks for you valuable inputs. After doing MUCH digging (everyday since I had asked the initial question), I have found a very good article that gives a comprehensive and definite answer as to why a high power amp must sound significantly better than a low power amp. Highly recommended:
http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical...ransistors
That's an interesting read Etch. I'm sure either Guillaume or Confused once posted here that someone from Devialet had said that the best power is infinite power so that's you question answered. I'm sure you'll be enjoying your 1000 Pro when you get it.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Nov-2017, 07:05)etch Wrote: Hello everyone,

Many thanks for you valuable inputs. After doing MUCH digging (everyday since I had asked the initial question), I have found a very good article that gives a comprehensive and definite answer as to why a high power amp must sound significantly better than a low power amp. Highly recommended:
Hi Etch,
If amp power is an issue, D440 can provide more than enough juice to drive Piega, (92db sensitivity)  Wink
Melco N1A, Valhalla Pow.C.-FTA usb,-D200,Chord Sarum Super Aray Pow.C.-Chord Sarum T Speaker C.(Nordost Frey2)-Harbeth 40.2, (Magnepan 3.7).
Personally I have not listened to a Devialet D1000, but last friday I spoke to a dealer to upgrade/trade my D200 to D440 or D1000, he advised not to go for the D1000, his explanation was that D220/D440 are the sweet spots in the Devialet line up, performance/price wise and he felt that the D1000 (and D800 before) were noticeable slower than D220/D440.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has the same opinion ?
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
(27-Nov-2017, 19:10)imprezap2 Wrote: Personally I have not listened to a Devialet D1000, but last friday I spoke to a dealer to upgrade/trade my D200 to D440 or D1000, he advised not to go for the D1000, his explanation was that D220/D440 are the sweet spots in the Devialet line up, performance/price wise and he felt that the D1000 (and D800 before) were noticeable slower than D220/D440.

Could you (or your dealer) define 'slower'?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Nov-2017, 07:05)etch Wrote: Hello everyone,

That's indeed an interesting article. Although it never hurts to have more than enough power in the bank it really surprised me to read that many amps nowadays are clipping when used in 'real life'. Of course it depends on the music and volume being played but I always understood the inverse: often amps are not draining the full power reserve and only a few watts are addressed for the largest part of a song. This is the philosophy, for example, behind the First Watt amplifiers (next to simple circuits) that Nelson Pass builds in this free time. And they sound great. I have not made my mind yet, but anyways, thanks for the info.
(27-Nov-2017, 19:10)imprezap2 Wrote: ... but last friday I spoke to a dealer to upgrade/trade my D200 to D440 or D1000, he advised not to go for the D1000, his explanation was that D220/D440 are the sweet spots in the Devialet line up, performance/price wise ...

I too have had in-numerous chats with dealers in Germany, UK, Hong Kong & the US on the subject of D800/1000Pro vs. D400/440Pro ... and their advice has been to try and work with the 400/440Pro (if possible) as they felt its power levels are such that it sounds sweeter to the ear than its higher power brothers. They even went on to say that the dual mono youngster is quite 'an iron fist in a velvet glove' rather than more muscle in pure composure ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
The 440 pro or lower models will seem "faster" or more punchy (iron fist) because of a more "edgy" sound that most listeners are used to and that comes from clipping. I've listened to a 1000 pro on a Focal Maestro and the "endless" power just sounds effortless. My explanation is that this effortlessness or liquidity comes from the absence of hard clipping and that's why tube amps also sound effortless or liquid. The better power supply on the 1000 pro adds to that. I'm getting a 1000 pro and will never have to have second thoughts if the amp is sufficient when I'll want to change speakers.

A 2000cc 4 cylinder liter turbo engine can feel more agile than a 5000cc V8 (which uses more "current") but it's an illusion that comes from the fact that the small engine is working much harder, is closer to the limit and it therefore feels like more "action". The effortlessness of a big V8 is the much better choice in the long run. Or in today's more advanced world, the effortlessness of a Tesla which goes beyond any combustion engine...
(27-Nov-2017, 19:38)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(27-Nov-2017, 19:10)imprezap2 Wrote: Personally I have not listened to a Devialet D1000, but last friday I spoke to a dealer to upgrade/trade my D200 to D440 or D1000, he advised not to go for the D1000, his explanation was that D220/D440 are the sweet spots in the Devialet line up, performance/price wise and he felt that the D1000 (and D800 before) were noticeable slower than D220/D440.

Hello Pim,

I did not ask the dealer the specifics about his "slower" comment, will ask next visit, my guess it will be regarding the transients in music. (slew rate of the Amp, could not find any details on the Devialet site regarding this)

In the past I remember that big power amps "could" sound slower.

Anyway I think the difference in speed (if there is) between the D440/D1000 will be marginal, just interested if anyone on this forum had this experience comparing them.

Olaf
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
(28-Nov-2017, 09:12)imprezap2 Wrote:
(27-Nov-2017, 19:38)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Hello Pim,

I did not ask the dealer the specifics about his "slower" comment, will ask next visit, my guess it will be regarding the transients in music. (slew rate of the Amp, could not find any details on the Devialet site regarding this)

In the past I remember that big power amps "could" sound slower.

Anyway I think the difference in speed (if there is) between the D440/D1000 will be marginal, just interested if anyone on this forum had this experience comparing them.

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

I've read something about slew rate before and how bigger amps can have a slower slew rate. Something to do with more transistors having to work together. I don't think there's a difference in the actual amplification parts of the 440 and 1000 though. See what your dealer has to say.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.