Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
(17-Jun-2016, 10:58)JohnWyatt34 Wrote:
(17-Jun-2016, 08:22)warpeon Wrote: If you are correct, the cost of upgrade for a le200 "should" be around 2500 euro - my estimate is based new price at 8500 euro less 15% of the discount promotion from the old model (I.e.7000 x 85% = 5950). My rationale is that devialet didn't tell people they are getting a discount for buying an obsolete model. Thus, only make sense if they would pay the difference to get themselves back to the current. My own assumption, as we all know devialet does not necessarily think logically. Otherwise, AIR and the remote would been fixed at least 18months ago.

Upgrade will be 3490 from 'old' 200 to 'new' 200 i've heard. Same price as the upgrade from d-premier to 240. My guess is the upgrade for the 250 will be a bit more this time taking into account the rumoured price for the new 1000 model (27990)

That is a lot of Australian dollars Sad
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
3490EUR. There is no way I'm paying close to $6000CDN dollars after shipping and insurance to upgrade my D200 when I bought it for a little less than $10,000 new. I'd be better off selling it used and buying new if I really want the Expert Pro.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Jun-2016, 13:43)Dr Tone Wrote: 3490EUR. There is no way I'm paying close to $6000CDN dollars after shipping and insurance to upgrade my D200 when I bought it for a little less than $10,000 new. I'd be better off selling it used and buying new if I really want the Expert Pro.
I agree, and the 120 rumoured price is even more compelling to not do it. If the upgrade price is close to the difference between selling and re-buying new it makes no sense, better to get new units.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(17-Jun-2016, 15:45)Soniclife Wrote:
(17-Jun-2016, 13:43)Dr Tone Wrote: 3490EUR.  There is no way I'm paying close to $6000CDN dollars after shipping and insurance to upgrade my D200 when I bought it for a little less than $10,000 new.  I'd be better off selling it used and buying new if I really want the Expert Pro.
I agree, and the 120 rumoured price is even more compelling to not do it. If the upgrade price is close to the difference between selling and re-buying new it makes no sense, better to get new units.

The email I received says "To allow you to be the first to benefit from all the improvements of the new range, we designed, especially for you, a physical upgrade of your Devialet Expert at advantageous conditions".

I would assume that this means it's going to be more cost-effective to upgrade than to buy new. Also, when I upgraded my D-Premier to a 250, all the shipping and insurance costs were covered within the upgrade price. I would hope this would be the same. 

Hopefully Devialet will release details soon so we can start talking about SQ  Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(19-Jun-2016, 09:41)ozthepoz Wrote: The email I received says "To allow you to be the first to benefit from all the improvements of the new range, we designed, especially for you, a physical upgrade of your Devialet Expert at advantageous conditions".

I would assume that this means it's going to be more cost-effective to upgrade than to buy new. 

Or does it mean that the first 200 will be able to upgrade at advantageous conditions. i.e. at a discounted price.
This makes sense to me. The  early adopters are taking a leap of faith.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
The weakest part in ALL Experts is DAC, which can be upgraded the most. Power amplifiers are already excellent. With some great tweaks in PEM removal, changing Chinese (3$) speaker posts and space techology quality German thermal pads for greatly improved dissipation (thanks to MANOET) it will be interesting to hear new 3K€ upgrade. If they don't plan to change THE DAC part it will be useless to upgrade. Music is much more than numbers and % !!! Regards Hrky
--
Why do you say the DAC is the weakest part, and contrast that with the power amplifier(s)? With the ADH architecture the DAC is an integral part of the power amplifier, isn't it?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(20-Jun-2016, 19:37)X thumb5 Wrote: Why do you say the DAC is the weakest part, and contrast that with the power amplifier(s)?  With the ADH architecture the DAC is an integral part of the power amplifier, isn't it?

I was wondering the same thing. The DAC chip certainly isn't the most advanced/expensive but the implementation seems to be excellent. Devialet DAC/amps clearly reveal differences between sources and I would suggest that the weakest component in most systems is still the source rather than the Devialet.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(20-Jun-2016, 20:01)PhilP Wrote:
(20-Jun-2016, 19:37)X thumb5 Wrote: Why do you say the DAC is the weakest part, and contrast that with the power amplifier(s)?  With the ADH architecture the DAC is an integral part of the power amplifier, isn't it?

I was wondering the same thing. The DAC chip certainly isn't the most advanced/expensive but the implementation seems to be excellent. Devialet DAC/amps clearly reveal differences between sources and I would suggest that the weakest component in most systems is still the source rather than the Devialet.

Implementation is good, but not at the amplification level. I juts mentioned that if the DAC is going to be the same there is no use to upgrade. There are 2 many advanced DACs than Devialet's!
The chip the Devialet is using is three generations back at least. Modern chips outperform it with regards to S/N ratio, architecture, etc. just look at the new generation of AKM or ESS. Of course, the chip by itself is meaningless unless it is followed by a well engineered analog part and this is where the Devialet has done a truly excellent job.

I will agree that of the Devialet does not upgrade the dac chip, any cost above €1000 will be too expensive and even pointless. The sound improvement will not justify the cost.

Now matter how much I love my D200, truth must be told