Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert boots up as 2.0 when 2.1 seems enabled
Hi, folks. I have a D-Premier and I'm confused about the sub output.

In General Settings, under Startup Mode, I have both "Sub/Preout" and "Subsonic filter" toggled ON.

I have Input 1 set to "Phono Input," and under Special Modes, "Sub/Preout" is toggled ON.

I have the digital RCA jacks configured as "Preamplified Output (Stereo)." These feed a subwoofer in stereo with a Low Pass filter set at 50Hz.

But the D-Premier always boots up with a 2.0 bass configuration, instead of 2.1, as I intended. (If I switch to 2.1, the sub works properly, so I know that's not the problem.)

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
What you’ve configured should work, it does here but I’m on a different firmware (D250 Pro). It could be an issue with your configuration/configurator bug. In the past people who had similar issues redid their config from scratch which resolved their issue. You could also first try to download the config again using a different browser or clearing your browser cache.

Good luck, hope it’s not a bug in the ‘old’ firmware!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Antoine! Thank you! Great suggestions... They didn't work, but they sent me in a productive direction.

My D-Premier is updated to include Ethernet (and USB), and I have only two inputs configured: Phono and Ethernet. The problem seems to be that the Configurator doesn't think my model — a D-Premier with Ethernet input — exists.

I have the unit set to boot up in the last-used input, which is usually Ethernet. But there is no Ethernet input in the dp_cfg file generated by the Configurator, and so, when booting, the D-Premier never asks, essentially: "When I boot up with the Ethernet input selected, what's the sub configuration?" That's because there is NO such input in the dp_cfg file, because the Configurator doesn't know there's an Ethernet input — and therefore, the "sub_preout_active" parameter (which the Configurator sets either "true" or "false" for *each input independently*) doesn't exist.

I'm pretty confident this is the problem, because, as I suspected, if the last-used input is Phono, and the D-Premier is shut down and then boots into the Phono input, the _sub_preout_active parameter is ON, as it should be.

Does that make sense?

So I'm pretty confident I've found the problem thanks to your help (!), but the question is what to do. I'm wondering if there is a different model for which I could generate a configuration file and use it — the D200? D250?

Alternately, I'm wondering if I can modify the dp_cfg file to include another input, the "Ethernet" input. It's just a text file, and I wonder if I could copy another input's parameters and then modify the two parameters — sub_preout_active and subsonic_filter (or whatever it is). I can't imagine that would mess anything up (I assume I could just revert to a "proper" improper D-Premier config file), but if you have any other info, it would be helpful and I'd be in your debt even further.

Thanks for reading all this, and for your help!
For what it's worth, your logic makes good sense to me.

Sadly, though, editing the dp_cfg.txt file as you describe won't be useful. The configuration file contains a CRC which is checked by the firmware; if the contents don't CRC to the correct value, the configuration will not be acted upon.

I'm afraid you might need to ask Devialet how to generate a proper config file for your unit, including support for the Ethernet input. Maybe they can take a file you have hand-edited and correct the CRC?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I thought I'd beaten the system, but alas. Yes, the CRC is the problem.

Maybe oddly, I found that a D-200 config file will boot properly and the inputs work. (Same for a D-250 file, it appears.) The most obvious nagging problem is that apparently the D-200 didn't have an invertible display and (of course) I'd prefer the dark background, which is not an option. So I read the D-Premier config file, and copied the line "invertible display:true" and the commands to invert it, and pasted them into the D-200 file I'd created.

Alors! That broke the system. The D-Premier rejected the edited file and booted into the "Factory Config." To be fair, I also don't know exactly how it affects the ADH modules, since the max power is configured at 200, not 240 — or anything else, for that matter — so it's not clear if something else is happening even if I can't see or hear it. I don't want it blowing up after four hours because it's overheated.

I'll write to Devialet to see if they have ideas. Thanks much for the back-and-forth. Very helpful.
from the configurator perspective, if your D premier has been upgraded to have an Ethernet port, it is no longer a D premier but de D250.

So you should pick D250 in the configurator, not D Premier.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
To add to @Jean-Marie's comment, go and stand where you can see the info display on your amp when you turn it on. The first thing that should show in the window is what model your amp is. Once it's finished booting and is ready for action you can also do a long press on the Tone Control button of the remote and you'll see a display window with info about your amp with its model designation as the top line.

Whatever the model shown in both of those display screens is, that's the model you should be setting in the Congifutrator.

I bought an Expert Pro 130. There was a firmware update which boosted power output slightly and changed the model designation to Expert Pro 140. I have to select a 140 in the Configurator now.

So go check the info display on your amp in one or both of the ways I mentioned above and your amp will tell you what model amp you need to make a configuration for. I'll bet @Jean-Marie has told you what your problem is.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Jean-Marie, mon frère!

Vraiment? C'est un 250 maintenant? Pas de merde?!

Une mille mercis! (Désolé — mon français est horrible. Les Américains sont toujours étrangers dans le monde, oui?)

Et merci encore!
David,

Hmmm... The model still displays as "D-Premier," and does not mention "250" anywhere. However, the info display lists a date of "APR 20 2017," which is probably too late to be a D-Premier, as the D-Premier was sold in 2012–13, yes?

The Hardware version on the info display is 4.1.1 — again, I assume this suggests it's later than a D-Premier, but I'd be grateful for confirmation or (not as grateful!) for any info that I'm missing something.

The 250 configuration works, with the slightly odd exception that the "inverted" display is black-on-white, instead of the reverse, as was the case with the D-Premier. That's just a binary switch, so it doesn't really matter, though.

Do you think I'm missing something critical? Do you have any additional info? Thanks for your wisdom and contribution to my little escapades.
If you're missing something critical then I don't know what it is. I thought @Jean-Marie had identified your problem and that my suggestion about the info display would verify what he had said so I'm as confused as you are that the info display says D-Premier and the D250 config solves the problem. I would expect that if a D-250 config file works, then the info displays would show D-250 as well.

With my 130/140 the display has always been white on black so inverted, which I haven't tried, would be black on white so that's perhaps another clue but it's not one I can interpret. My 140 is my first Devialet. Perhaps someone who started with a D Premier and has had it updated/upgraded to a D 250 could say whether or not the display changed from black on white to white on black with an update/upgrade at some point in time.

About the only thing I can suggest is raising the issue with Devialet and seeing what they say. They should be able to tell you what's going on if they did the update to include ethernet. Be warned, however, that Devialet can be slow in replying and it can also be frustrating at times but I can't think of any other way to find out what's going on.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia