Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert settings for Hana SL Cartridge
I recently purchased a Hana SL cartridge for my turntable, and I am wondering about the proper settings I should use in the Configurator of my Expert 200 to get the best performance.

This is a MC cartridge with the following specs:
Output Level. 0.5mv/1kHz
Impedance.  30Ω/1kHz
Suggested Load Impedance.   >400Ω

Unfortunately, I am fundamentally unable to grasp these concepts in terms of how to best set my Configurator.  So, I am hoping someone who understands this better can help.  Here is what I have entered currently:

Cartridge Type:  MC
Channels: Stereo
Max level:  300 μVRMS
Loading:  High,  0 pF
Startup Curve. RIAA 1953
Sampling Rate:  96 kHz 

System:  Pioneer PLX 1000 tt, Hana SL cart, Devialet Expert 200, Aerial Acoustics 6T speakers

Thank you for your help!
(14-Jan-2021, 14:49)btcook007 Wrote: I recently purchased a Hana SL cartridge for my turntable, and I am wondering about the proper settings I should use in the Configurator of my Expert 200 to get the best performance.

Output Level. 0.5mv/1kHz
Impedance.  30Ω/1kHz

Unfortunately, I am fundamentally unable to grasp these concepts in terms of how to best set my Configurator.  So, I am hoping someone who understands this better can help.  Here is what I have entered currently:

Startup Curve. RIAA 1953

System:  Pioneer PLX 1000 tt, Hana SL cart, Devialet Expert 200, Aerial Acoustics 6T speakers

Thank you for your help!

I’d start with these settings

Cartridge type MC
Stereo
Max level 600uV (0.6mV)
Loading 460 ohms, 0pf
Startup curve RIAA 1976
Sampling rate 96khz

With an LP playing check that there is no clipping on signal peaks. If there is clipping the ‘db’ next to the volume level will change colour to indicate the signal level is too high and is clipping the input.

You can also monitor the input levels buy a long press on the Tone button, rightmost on the remote, to bring up the system monitor. Then several short presses on the Tone button to reach the input monitor signal bars.

If the signal is near maximum or there is clipping increase the maximum input level buy 100uV (0.1mV) or so.

You can do this on the fly buy a long press on the Mute Button and then short presses on the mute button until you see the RAM settings, keep short pressing until you see the Max input level and then turn the volume knob to increase or decrease the setting. In the RAM settings page the Max input level is only adjustable in steps of 0.1mV.

You can also change the loading settings on the fly in the RAM settings screen.

Hope that helps.
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
A couple of corrections, to avoid confusion:

(14-Jan-2021, 15:28)disarmamant Wrote: ...
Max level 600uV (0.6mV)
If the signal is near maximum or there is clipping increase the maximum input level buy 100uV (0.1mV) or so.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(14-Jan-2021, 17:12)thumb5 Wrote: A couple of corrections, to avoid confusion.

Done, thanks for spotting the error
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(14-Jan-2021, 15:28)disarmamant Wrote:
(14-Jan-2021, 14:49)btcook007 Wrote: I recently purchased a Hana SL cartridge for my turntable, and I am wondering about the proper settings I should use in the Configurator of my Expert 200 to get the best performance.

Output Level. 0.5mv/1kHz
Impedance.  30Ω/1kHz

Startup Curve. RIAA 1953

Thank you for your help!

I’d start with these settings

Cartridge type MC
Stereo
Max level 600uV (0.6mV)
Loading 460 ohms, 0pf
Startup curve RIAA 1976
Sampling rate 96khz

With an LP playing check that there is no clipping on signal peaks. If there is clipping the ‘db’ next to the volume level will change colour to indicate the signal level is too high and is clipping the input.

You can also monitor the input levels buy a long press on the Tone button, rightmost on the remote, to bring up the system monitor. Then several short presses on the Tone button to reach the input monitor signal bars.

You can do this on the fly buy a long press on the Mute Button and then short presses on the mute button until you see the RAM settings, keep short pressing until you see the Max input level and then turn the volume knob to increase or decrease the setting. In the RAM settings page the Max input level is only adjustable in steps of 0.1mV.

You can also change the loading settings on the fly in the RAM settings screen.

Hope that helps.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  I APPRECIATE IT!!
How did you get on with the Hana?
Very well, thank you. It sounds fantastic and got rid of background noise I had under the previous settings. Thanks again!
Good news, glad you got it sounding good.
(22-Jan-2021, 13:33)btcook007 Wrote: Very well, thank you.  It sounds fantastic and got rid of background noise I had under the previous settings. Thanks again!

How does it sound with Hana SL? Did you experience hiss with ur latest settings?  I am going to buy either Hana SH or Hana SL to use with Rega Planar 8. If it is not really necessary to buy Hana SH for Devialet(due to hiss issue), I'd rather buy Hana SL. Therefore, my first choice is Hana SL.
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(11-Oct-2021, 17:00)CongoFather Wrote:
(22-Jan-2021, 13:33)btcook007 Wrote: Very well, thank you.  It sounds fantastic and got rid of background noise I had under the previous settings. Thanks again!

How does it sound with Hana SL? Did you experience hiss with ur latest settings?  I am going to buy either Hana SH or Hana SL to use with Rega Planar 8. If it is not really necessary to buy Hana SH for Devialet(due to hiss issue), I'd rather buy Hana SL. Therefore, my first choice is Hana SL.

I have an Expert 120, which does not have the advanced phono stage.
Anyway, while the Hana SL brought a drastic improvement in soundstage and detail compared to my old MM cartridge (a Sumiko Pearl), I got annoyed by the higher noise floor (despite mostly evident during the “black” moments) and a kind of increased listening fatigue (despite I reduced the loading to 470 ohm using parallel resistors).
Buying a Denon SUT solved everything, making the sound less no fatiguing and with zero hiss.
Nonetheless, if I could go back I might consider the SH to simplify the signal path.