Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External DAC for Expert PRO
Does anyone use an external DAC with the Expert PRO amplifier?
If so, then what DAC model? Does using it improve sound quality?
This is probably a non-starter, because the analogue output from an external DAC would be re-digitised and come out of the Dev's internal DAC anyway.

I must admit... I do often get jealous of these latest ESS DAC chips and wish the Devaliets could employ them.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I believe that Guillaume has been using a Totaldac seven.

I am not totally sure whether he was using it with his Devialet or another amp.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(23-Sep-2020, 12:28)JohnnySix Wrote: ESS DAC chips and wish the Devaliets could employ them.

I for one would not enjoy the ESS 'sound' in a Devialet amp, however the DAC would have optimized working conditions so maybe... I think a R2R dac would be more suitable for the Devialet. Problem is R2R designs tend to be rather large so it would be difficult to place it.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
If I had the cash I would probably invest in the Esoteric Grandioso K1X with external power supply. Some reports lead me to think it may be the best Dac in existence, besides being arguably the best disc spinner (short of Esoteric’s own 6 box separates). Wink

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(23-Sep-2020, 11:53)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Does anyone use an external DAC with the Expert PRO amplifier?

Funny, about six months ago I decided to make the move to the external DAC as I was building a second system of sorts with a more traditional power amp. 

I bought a Chord Mojo and a decent 3.5 to RCA.  Crude, but suddenly I noticed that my 140 just became more...musical.  A few months later, I took the plunge and picked up an MScaler (upscaler/digital filter/mystery device) and a TT2.  MScaler can start arguments.  

I have had the combination in different configurations, and enjoy using the TT2 as a preamp, and even with a pair of Focal Studio monitors.  But on and off, and then for the past week, I've simply been running the MScaler via optical to the 140.  The difference is stark.  I could run the MScaler to the TT2 and then line-level analog into the Devialet, but regardless of what level of upscaling is chosen (the TT2 can do redbook 16x I believe), optical is limited to 24/192 and I have found that I very much enjoy this setup.  Timing is (almost) everything, and I just find that I am more satisfied than I have been with my system since the start.
(04-Oct-2020, 15:49)Very interesting! This is my first post because Im considering upgrading my speakers to the Alexia2 but I don’t wanna change the amp, I don’t wanna those big heavy class A boxes. So im searching for info about how a external DAC performs, the amp on the 440Pro e very good but the DAC after 3 years is dated. The idea of the MScaler connect diret to the 440Pro maby should work… But don’t know if is not better to buy a all new DAC like the Le DAC from Metronome.I would like to know if someone already connect an quality external DAC to the Devialet by RCA. Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 11:53)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Does anyone use an external DAC with the Expert PRO amplifier?

Funny, about six months ago I decided to make the move to the external DAC as I was building a second system of sorts with a more traditional power amp. 

I bought a Chord Mojo and a decent 3.5 to RCA.  Crude, but suddenly I noticed that my 140 just became more...musical.  A few months later, I took the plunge and picked up an MScaler (upscaler/digital filter/mystery device) and a TT2.  MScaler can start arguments.  

I have had the combination in different configurations, and enjoy using the TT2 as a preamp, and even with a pair of Focal Studio monitors.  But on and off, and then for the past week, I've simply been running the MScaler via optical to the 140.  The difference is stark.  I could run the MScaler to the TT2 and then line-level analog into the Devialet, but regardless of what level of upscaling is chosen (the TT2 can do redbook 16x I believe), optical is limited to 24/192 and I have found that I very much enjoy this setup.  Timing is (almost) everything, and I just find that I am more satisfied than I have been with my system since the start.
Hi everyone,
the Devialet is converting each analog input to digital again, you cannot bypass the internal DAC.
Using a digital Upscaler can be an improvement, but using an external DAC is only adding some coloration.
I tried that as well with an ifi iDSD Pro (powered by a Ferrum Hypsos and connected to a Mutec REF10).
Sounds good, but not as good as the direct digital input via Ethernet (also a highly optimized connection).
Ethernet tuning (cables, switches, optical) is the best way to optimize digital playback on the Devialet IMHO...
(20-May-2022, 12:26)HelioLima Wrote:
(04-Oct-2020, 15:49)Very interesting! This is my first post because Im considering upgrading my speakers to the Alexia2 but I don’t wanna change the amp, I don’t wanna those big heavy class A boxes. So im searching for info about how a external DAC performs, the amp on the 440Pro e very good but the DAC after 3 years is dated. The idea of the MScaler connect diret to the 440Pro maby should work… But don’t know if is not better to buy a all new DAC like the Le DAC from Metronome.I would like to know if someone already connect an quality external DAC to the Devialet by RCA. Wrote:

I also own a Chord M-Scaler/Hugo-TT2 setup.  I use it primarily for headphone use, along with occasional use with tube amps.  Been using the M-Scaler connected to a D-250 Pro, and it definitely helps.  
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
I have tested 4 different scenarios;

1) Euphony(Roon Server) >> SOTM SNH-10G switch >> Devialet 220(Ethernet) >> B&W 804D3
2) Euphony(Roon Server) >> SOTM SNH-10G switch >> Mercury Streamer(Roon Bridge on GentooPlayer) >> Devialet 220(AES) >> B&W 804D3
3) Mercury Streamer(Squeezelite-R2 & LMS on GentooPlayer ) >> Devialet 220(AES) >> B&W 804D3
4) Euphony(Roon Server) >> SOTM SNH-10G switch >> Mercury Streamer(Roon Bridge) >> CHORD HUGO DAC(Digital Coax) >> Devialet 220(RCA Line Input) >> B&W 804D3

For all scenarios, I use a fiberoptical network with 2 different switches(NAS, Internet Router etc. are connected to one switch; audio-related hardwares are connected to the other switch which is SOTM SNH-10G).

2nd and 3rd setups sound better than direct Devialet Ethernet connection as it is in the first option.

Using an external DAC like Chord Hugo did not make any sense(4th setup) as ADC is first executed by Devialet even though Analog DAC output is sent to Devialet line input. It may be used to listen MQA, DSD128,DSD256 etc if your DAC supports.
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2