Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme bass distortion with Optical input direct settings
Hi. I have two Phantom gold, and I'm in love with them, despite the few but severe issues. The latest problem is killing me though.

I use my speakers to mainly watch movies and play music, but I also use them with my PS4. The latency issue of up to 1 fifth of a second was a absolute no-go. Can't live with that. Even for a casual gamer. I changed from wifi and Dialogue setup to optical input and the Direct input setting to minimize lag. Worked well enough. I updated the firmware around the same time as well (around summer time 2019).

Now I have an issue with distorted bass sounds that are very commonly heard when using streaming services like Netflix and HBO. Some movies and series have portions (especially frequent in intensifying dramatic background music scenes) with low volume and deep bass that makes my speakers sound like they are hitting an object like heavy curtains or something at an incredible pace. It's muffled distorted bass. It's NOT supposed to sound like that for sure. This can continue for a minute if the scene is long. In some series or movies it's not heard at all. I use Chromecast ultra for my streaming services. I believe that I have only noticed this phenomenon on video streaming so far. Not for music streaming or gaming.

The cables are the same as they were previously in the Dialogue/wifi setup. Only other thing I did was updating the firmware to the latest one around the summer.

Anyone else that have had a similar issue? Any solutions other than to reintroduce the horrible latency?
Regarding the latency issue, while perhaps not 100 percent in sync, with my Xbox I use optical out from my Xbox to a speaker and HDMI to the TV vice, HDMI to the TV and optical to the dialogue. As for the bass issue, that is curious. Are you able to consistently repeat the effect, ie watching the same scene triggers the same result? Does the muffle emanate from both speakers? If it is inconsistent and comes from both speakers, I would take this as a good sign that this something in the audio chain software/handshake wise that just needs to figured out and may be worth a ticket to devialet to check out. Keep us posted.

JD
Just out of curiosity. What audio settings in the streaming device are you using? Have you tried different modes, down mixing the signal from 5.1 to Stereo, using PCM (24/16Bit), Dolby (yes/no), automatic loudness limiting or something like that? Does this problem appear independent of these settings? Have you tried a different streaming device for comparison?

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)