Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FW 10.0.5 is out... what's new?
(12-Oct-2016, 21:37)ledesc Wrote:  I think I know what is a natural sound.

So You should hear that B&W805D is not a natural sounding loudspeaker.
LOL, I knew you could go in this direction Wink
What I can say is that despite their supposed coloration, I can hear they are fundamentally correct in my system/room Smile + WAF

To come back to what's new, nothing noticed on my side between 10.0.2 and 10.0.5...
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(12-Oct-2016, 13:33)moreno1973 Wrote: First of all...7.1.3 is louder than other firmwares. I think that 7.1.3 is also much more analogue sounding that the rest of firmwares. Warmer, nicer, more mids and more relax in sound. When You prefer musicality more than ,,hearing details" 7.1.3 is the best one.

Well, after a long listening session with 10.0.5, I was first very happy to ear and feel details on wooden instruments (the feeling to almost "see" the reed vibrating, hearing the air flow...). Then I started to listen various music styles ...a lot of fun during 3hours, but ... I begun to feel a king of discomfort (fatigue ? is it a good word in english ?). For sure it's the first time I have the opportunity to listen such a long time the v10...

Guess what I switched back to 7.1.3 and could go on, listening again with less discomfort, for sure I think I'm bit tired...

So I agree with your statement moreno1973, but I would also add that the accuracy, stability and size of the sound-stage is leaning towards the v10 for me.

I would like a mix between v7.1.3 and v10.0.5, too bad the v8.5.9 does not exist Smile
For short listening sessions, low level, I would prefer the v10, so I will listen for hours and at high volume the v7 and see what happens.
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(13-Oct-2016, 08:52)IanG-UK Wrote:
(10-Oct-2016, 17:12)Hawkman Wrote: It's odd, there are only 16 files, not counting the manual. There should be 18 files, according to the manual.

The firmware file depends, to a large extent, on how many .txt files are included and on whether the firmware is set to update the D-Premier and Expert series OR the D-Premier and Expert and Pro series. As far as I know, the D-Premier operated on Platform 4, the Expert on Platform 5 and the Pro on Platform 6 (I think these numberings are correct but they may originally have been Platforms 3, 4 and 6.)

So, pre Pro series, 7.1.3 and 8.1.3 and 9.0.1 each included 12 non-.txt files (and there were 5 .txt files in 7.1.3 and 8.1.3 but none at all in 9.0.1, suggesting that the .txt files are irrelevant).

10.0.2 and 10.0.5 have 14 non-.txt files and, respectively, 2 and 3 .txt files - the different .txt file on 10.0.5 being the inclusion of the manual, which is useless in this context as it tells you nothing new about 10.0.5.

Both 10.0.2 and 10.0.5 have 2 .adh files and 3 .psu files. As far as I know, ADH is different for the D-Premier/Expert and Pro series and PSU is different for all three.

The only differences between 10.0.2 and 10.0.5 are the duet file (0504 to 0505) and the third psu file (0603 to 0604). The latter is definitely a change only for the Pro series which is on Platform 6. The former change I do not know about, but it may be that the entire change of firmware relates solely to the Pro series only and is irrelevant for the earlier Expert and D-Premier series. That would have some logic given that the Pro series is new and the earlier series are well established.

I find it interesting (disconcerting) that all files for 10.0.2 are dated 23/8/16, whereas for the 10.0.5 release there are files dated all the way back to 2011. Is this poor version control, or have they reverted some files to a previous stage?
(14-Oct-2016, 16:28)ledesc Wrote:
(12-Oct-2016, 13:33)moreno1973 Wrote: First of all...7.1.3 is louder than other firmwares. I think that 7.1.3 is also much more analogue sounding that the rest of firmwares. Warmer, nicer, more mids and more relax in sound. When You prefer musicality more than ,,hearing details" 7.1.3 is the best one.

Well, after a long listening session with 10.0.5, I was first very happy to ear and feel details on wooden instruments (the feeling to almost "see" the reed vibrating, hearing the air flow...). Then I started to listen various music styles ...a lot of fun during 3hours, but ... I begun to feel a king of discomfort (fatigue ? is it a good word in english ?). For sure it's the first time I have the opportunity to listen such a long time the v10...

Guess what I switched back to 7.1.3 and could go on, listening again with less discomfort, for sure I think I'm bit tired...

So I agree with your statement moreno1973, but I would also add that the accuracy, stability and size of the sound-stage is leaning towards the v10 for me.

I would like a mix between v7.1.3 and v10.0.5, too bad the v8.5.9 does not exist Smile
For short listening sessions, low level, I would prefer the v10, so I will listen for hours and at high volume the v7 and see what happens.

Then you might wanna try 8.1.3!
That version is great as well. A tiny bit brighter then 7.1.3 but still has a much more analog, warm and harmonic feel to it then 10.0.x or 9.x.x.
But maybe best to stick with 7.1.3 for a while and get used to the sound even more. Then try another firmware.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(14-Oct-2016, 16:28)ledesc Wrote:
... I begun to feel a king of discomfort (fatigue ? is it a good word in english ?). For sure it's the first time I have the opportunity to listen such a long time the v10...

So now You know why I like 7.1.3...firmware 9 and 10 is more WOW but after one hour is just fatigue, this is very usual with most of Today new high-end gear.

7.1.3 is a bit like older gear. You can't hear all details but You hear music and there is no fatigue.
I may also give a try to v9 because I can't remember this 'fatigue' feeling and yet I've installed the v9 just when it was released as I was not happy with the v8... I should have wrote pros/cons for each firmware to be sure I remember well
May be we could start a comparison table with the main firmware characteristics Smile

- FR -
Thank god we can still run the older firmwares on our 'old' machines.
I'm too scared to upgrade as I would be forced to use 10.0.2 or later.
I would only upgrade after comparing my amp running 7.1.3 A/B with a Pro running 10.0.x.
But at this point I'm a happy camper. Enjoying every minute of playing music on my system.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Yes, with these firmwares it's like having different amps according to your mood Smile
For sure, if I had more DSD files I would may be stick to the latest versions for the DoP feature (even working with AIR-Eth for me with foobar and asio4all).
About upgrade, I will wait for a real revolution, not the hypothetical promise of the new streamer board.....

- FR -
It's worth remembering that the supposedly superior SAM 2 (SAM V8) will only work on firmwares 8.0 and above. Not an issue if you don't use SAM of course, but could be a very big factor for some users / speakers. It's a long story, but I had a lot of issues with SAM 2. Thankfully these issues are now fully sorted thanks to an update of the SAM profile from Devialet, and also thanks in part to the improvements provided to my system from a Mutec MC3+USB. In short though, the newer SAM 2 now works substantially better for me than the original SAM, so something I would need to sacrifice if I reverted back to 7.1.3 or whatever. Luckily for me, I'm one of the rare folk that prefers firmwares 8 and 9 to the older versions.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12