Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fed up with my speakers
(13-Jul-2020, 17:39)musialsuspect Wrote:
(09-Jul-2020, 17:13)Sailor4W Wrote:
(09-Jul-2020, 14:34)Snoopy8 Wrote: Some of the British speakers are indeed old fashioned, but not the KEFs.  Have not heard the Harbeth but do like Spendors.  Another brand to consider is Monitor Audio.

Best of luck in your search...
Yes, of course, I agree about the KEFs, that's why I have them on my shortlist!
I heard the Monitor 30.1 speakers and they sounded quite pleasant, detailed and rich. But they are quite expensive and I'm sure others have a better price-performance ratio. I paid over 4,000 Euros for my ATCs, in hindsight, that's just too much!

I know what you mean about the British sound and avoiding the 'dated' aspect of it. I've found that Graham Audio offers both the traditional British sound as well as speakers with a modern take. Their current lineup may be worth looking into for you.
Ah, Graham Audio, I completely forgot them! Aren‘t they all built around the classic LS3/5a? Graham Audio seems to be reasonably priced, unlike Harbeth. The LS6 had a good review at Darko.audio (https://darko.audio/2019/01/graham-audio...s6-review/). Worth looking into, thanks!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(13-Jul-2020, 18:12)Damon Wrote: @Sailor4W
I think you said that you are in Switzerland? What about Boenicke loudspeakers? I've never seen or heard them, but I think they make some very small speakers that do very well in the bass reproduction, and have been very well rated in reviews. SAM profiles as well. About five years ago, I had a few messages with another owner here who has, or had the small stand mounts, as well as some very large Lawrence Audio Double Bass speakers, and he rated the Boenicke very highly. Just a thought.
Yes, indeed, I am in Switzerland, in Basel, very close to the French and German border. I just looked up Boenicke Audio and you what, the manufacturer is in Basel, too! I always thought Boenicke is an American company.I looked up their speakers, and indeed, the smallest W5 looks interesting, very interesting indeed. A bit pricey, but they look classy! I should give them a call, they‘re literally around the corner.
Thanks for hinting me to them!
In your case I would go gor Harbeth and Gauder Akustik, first Harbeth with Isoacoutic stands

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I agree that the aforementioned Britisch speakers look a bit outdated. But many find that a charm. And be aware, and here I want to stress, the technology in these speakers is very recent and very up to date. So you have classic cabinets with modern speaker technology.

Then next, the main thing about Kef is that their tweeter is in the middle of the mid-range (uniQ design) which gives them the clean integration. And about floorstanders or not: there is not one 'class' that is better than the rest. In fact, contradictory of what has been written above, many speaker designers will tell you that a two-way design is almost always better designed than a three-way design since the latter is much more complex in the crossover. It's often better to have a two-way bookshelf, if needed complemented with a sub for larger listening rooms, then to go for a large three-way design. Of course some think otherwise.

Finally, to my ears, in case you really care about authenticity to the source then you should go with Dynaudio.
(13-Jul-2020, 18:40)Sailor4W Wrote:
(13-Jul-2020, 17:39)musialsuspect Wrote: I know what you mean about the British sound and avoiding the 'dated' aspect of it. I've found that Graham Audio offers both the traditional British sound as well as speakers with a modern take. Their current lineup may be worth looking into for you.
Ah, Graham Audio, I completely forgot them! Aren‘t they all built around the classic LS3/5a? Graham Audio seems to be reasonably priced, unlike Harbeth. The LS6 had a good review at Darko.audio (https://darko.audio/2019/01/graham-audio...s6-review/). Worth looking into, thanks!
Their LS3/5 and LS 3/5a are. They've done a few other designs, too, including some new ones this year. But the LS6 is modern. I own the LS6f (the floorstanding version) and use them in a converted dining room (for now) and couldn't be happier. I suggest you check out their site. Hope there's a nearby dealer so you can audition. That's a problem here in the States!
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
Wink 
(13-Jul-2020, 20:48)musialsuspect Wrote:
(13-Jul-2020, 18:40)Sailor4W Wrote:
(13-Jul-2020, 17:39)musialsuspect Wrote: I know what you mean about the British sound and avoiding the 'dated' aspect of it. I've found that Graham Audio offers both the traditional British sound as well as speakers with a modern take. Their current lineup may be worth looking into for you.
Their LS3/5 and LS 3/5a are. They've done a few other designs, too, including some new ones this year. But the LS6 is modern. I own the LS6f (the floorstanding version) and use them in a converted dining room (for now) and couldn't be happier. I suggest you check out their site. Hope there's a nearby dealer so you can audition. That's a problem here in the States!
That's exactly the problem here, too. No dealer around nearby. And as long as they don't have a 30 days return policy, I am afraid it would be a bit risky of buying them without a proper audition. I might travel to London later on this year (now that they dropped the quarantine) and I might audition them there. But I'd prefer to listen to them in my own living room. I guess the airline wouldn't be pleased if I showed up with two large crates housing the LS6s  Confused!
(13-Jul-2020, 19:17)Elztalbiker Wrote: In your case I would go gor Harbeth and Gauder Akustik, first Harbeth with Isoacoutic stands

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

The Arcona 40 Mk II looks flashy! A bit expensive, though. My utmost limit I set is 3,000 Euros. But thanks for the suggestion, I've never heard of Gauder!
(13-Jul-2020, 20:23)Stino Wrote: I agree that the aforementioned Britisch speakers look a bit outdated. But many find that a charm. And be aware, and here I want to stress, the technology in these speakers is very recent and very up to date. So you have classic cabinets with modern speaker technology.

Then next, the main thing about Kef is that their tweeter is in the middle of the mid-range (uniQ design) which gives them the clean integration. And about floorstanders or not: there is not one 'class' that is better than the rest. In fact, contradictory of what has been written above, many speaker designers will tell you that a two-way design is almost always better designed than a three-way design since the latter is much more complex in the crossover. It's often better to have a two-way bookshelf, if needed complemented with a sub for larger listening rooms, then to go for a large three-way design. Of course some think otherwise.

Finally, to my ears, in case you really care about authenticity to the source then you should go with Dynaudio.
After my experience with ATC, my first reaction was to stay away from British speakers. But I admit that this is maybe a bit crude an attitude. I do like the design. My first encounter with HiFi was when I was at high school (a loooong time ago) and at that time all speakers looked that way. I 'grew' up with this classic design of British speakers. And I do not know if I like nowadays design better. But essentially, I find British speakers mostly to be too expensive for what they are. I am under the impression that one pays tradition and not necessarily performance. But, again, this might be over simplified!

One exception to British tradition seems to be KEF, that's why I am interested in them. But I have never heard any of their speakers. The R3 got some raving reviews, but which speaker hasn't?

Floorstanders: I am not absolutely against them, just, they shouldn't be too large. Speaker like the ATC SCM40s would be way too dominant in our living room. Spendor, for example, has the A2 and A4s and they look like reasonably sized and very well done. These speakers could very well be my 're-entry' into British speakers!
I just stumbled over a very promising bookshelf speaker, the BMR Philharmonitor. It is a three-way largish bookshelf speaker that had been produced by Philharmonic Audio. It seems that the company is shut down, but the speaker is produced now by Salk Sound.

It has raving reviews, one in Audioholics: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-sp...rmonitor-1

The link for the speaker from Salk Sound is: https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors

This one does look attractive!
I would also look at:
- Fyne F30x
- Second hand B&W older speakers such as 805 from a few generations, they still sound amazing
- Elac

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1